It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA reveals details of X-37B experiment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
NASA is releasing more details about the experiment being carried on the X-37B later this month. The Materials Exposure and Technology Innovation in Space or METIS experiment will carry various materials that are possible replacement materials for future space craft, and expose them to conditions in orbit to see how they hold up. It's a continuation of the Materials on International Space Station Experiment (MISSE). That experiment carried 4,000 different materials to the ISS from 2001-2013. The packages with the materials were hung off the outside of the space station during the experiment.

Launch of the X-37B on an Atlas V rocket is scheduled for May 20th.

CAPE CANAVERAL — In addition to carrying an Air Force electric propulsion thruster test, a materials research investigation sponsored by NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center will be flying aboard the X-37B miniature spaceplane later this month.

Liftoff is targeted for May 20 aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 rocket from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.

Pentagon officials recently disclosed that the two experiments are flying aboard this fourth Orbital Test Vehicle mission, and now NASA has provided a bit more detail on its investigation that will ride up and down on the reusable X-37B.

Known as the Materials Exposure and Technology Innovation in Space, or METIS, the investigation on the X-37B will expose nearly 100 different materials samples to the space environment for more than 200 days, NASA says. METIS is building upon data obtained by several missions of the Materials on International Space Station Experiment (MISSE), which flew more than 4,000 samples in space from 2001 to 2013.

spaceflightnow.com...

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Just an add to the thread...

AFRL thruster experiment to fly on X-37B

The Hall thruster that will fly on the X-37B experiment is a modified version of the units that have propelled SMC's first three Advanced Extremely High Frequency military communications spacecraft. A Hall thruster is a type of electric propulsion device that produces thrust by ionizing and accelerating a noble gas, usually xenon. While producing comparatively low thrust relative to conventional rocket engines, Hall thrusters provide significantly greater specific impulse, or fuel economy. This results in increased payload carrying capacity and a greater number of on-orbit maneuvers for a spacecraft using Hall thrusters rather than traditional rocket engines

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Key words,
"It is a throwback to the days of in-orbit exposure testing conducted on paints, metals and materials for future spacecraft conducted by such satellites as the Long Duration Exposure Facility and the suit-case sized MISSE packages hung outside the International Space Station."
It sounds 'close to the chest' stuff, no mention of the material/s specifically, we just have to guess.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Does it matter what they are before they test them? I'm sure we will hear details of what was successful in the long run. (Optomistic, I know)
edit on 7-5-2015 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yes I believe NASA

The same agency that blurrs photos of whatever they don't want public to see on moon or Mars.

Yup, NASA, I trust them.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Metamaterials..and nano-coatings in all probability.

But, for specifics, as you say - we'll have to guess.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TorinoFer

Yes I believe NASA

The same agency that blurrs photos of whatever they don't want public to see on moon or Mars.

Yup, NASA, I trust them.

Please provide just one bit of irrefutable evidence that NASA intentionally blurs out anything in any photos, an until then, quit parroting such nonsense.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Please show some evidence that pictures at NASA have been blurred....

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I believe this all to be true, the testing of materials, and the testing of new thruster. But I also think there are way more important and classified testing going on with the X-37b. Otherwise, why not just send those experimental materials with the next cargo resupply mission.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Yes I believe NASA

No, they don't. You're probably confusing NASA with Google, the wonderful morons at Google who screw up google sky, google moon, google mars, etc. Somehow NASA gets the blame. Well, NASA is not to blame for the failures of Google. The data can all be freely had if you know how to use primary sources.

edit on 8-5-2015 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Glassbender777
I believe this all to be true, the testing of materials, and the testing of new thruster. But I also think there are way more important and classified testing going on with the X-37b. Otherwise, why not just send those experimental materials with the next cargo resupply mission.

The materials themselves may be too classified to have as an experiment at the ISS (which has an international crew).

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I actually believe they are in fact testing a hall thruster, however....

Here is my crackpot theory, they are attaching explosives on any "hostile" satellites they deem target worthy. Or even better, adding a physical piece of equipment spliced into the communications lines. Or cherry on top both.

Seriously, I think this is what they are doing and why these birds stay up for so long. It takes a long time to change orbit inclination with a hall thruster....

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: sirChill

If I were them I would install proximity fuses that go boom when something comes to near on some precious birds. Wonder if it´s not the reality...

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Looks quite promising, but most materials may only be for military use

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Glassbender777

they may want the materials exposed to the elements longer than a resupply mission could provide

new topics

top topics

join