It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tampa scientist’s synthetic human featured on ‘Shark Tank’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Here is a little something right here in my backyard. The company SynDaver Labs are going to be marketing their product to the rich business folk of Shark Tank. I think the more important thing here is though what they make.

ynDaver makes life-like, synthetic cadavers for use in medical training and testing, intended to be a cost effective alternative to real cadavers. According to SynDaver, their synthetic humans feature a functioning respiratory and circulatory system, fully articulating joints, organs, fat and fluids that allow them to bleed — even pupils that dilate when exposed to light.

While there are other anatomical models on the market, SynDaver boasts that their product is made from a “proprietary library of more than 100 synthetic human tissues” composed of water, salts and fibers, rather than rubber or plastic.

Remember when Science theorized we could grow headless humans for organ harvesting? Well its been many years and going back to read my stance on that has clearly changed.

But flashing forward to this company Syndaver and their products, how does one create such a intricate product utilizing real human tissues that works just as good? I may just go down there and ask them. I wonder if this is real enough to gross someone out??
edit on 5/7/2015 by DYepes because: forgot to add source

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Synthetic human technology goes far further than you'd think and their uses insidious. There is some information available on the net about them. When i find some more time i will try to link some info.
This is just another case where technology that has been hidden and in use for decades gets a low grade snippet released into the public domain.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: sayzaar

Are you referring to things like growing a human ear on a mouse Or more sinister acts? I would certainly like to know more.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DYepes

I fail to see the market here. Why would science or the medical schools pay what has to be a pretty expensive price for a synthetic cadaver when cadavers are donated free for that same cause ? I suppose that donation may not be prevalent and there are not enough but this thing sounds very life like and very expensive.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

The article covers that. The Synthetic cadaver costs 40 times as much as the real deal, but it is reusable.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

We don't use real human tissue - it is all synthetic. We do use some fibers which are plant based but nothing animal (or human) in origin.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN

I fail to see the market here.

Seems like a corporation's dream. Rather than buy an existing politician with all their baggage, just buy a blank slate new candidate and feed him or her the positions you want them to support.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Cadavers are never actually "free". Even when they are donated the end user ends up paying for them, the transportation and disposal costs are not trivial, and the facility costs are onerous. Cadavers also have a limited shelf life and they are becoming increasingly difficult to obtain.

SynDavers are free of biohazards so they can be used on a kitchen table - and they will last forever if properly cared for.

Even in the short term they are cheaper to use than cadavers and over the long term they are much less expensive by comparison.
edit on 7-5-2015 by Syndaver because: missing word

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

We have not managed to make them walk or talk yet, but if we ever go that route I guarantee they will be superior in every way to almost any politician I have ever come across.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
oh hey guys its awesome to see your on this board. I actually went by your labs today, door was locked. Turns out the place only 5 mintues bike ride from me right next to the theater. Looks like the kind of place noone goes to unless they have business there, which probably explains the locked doors.

First thanks for clearing up the thing about not using real human tissue, the article kind of alluded otherwise in the way it was written.

Secondly, do you have any of these things that are publicly viewable?? I told my boys about them ad they are totally amped up to see them with being all interested in Medical Science and all.

I was also thinking the cost would be a bit prohibitive for places like your traditional community college or for profit "renamed every two years" colleges. However, I have a strong hunch places like Harvard, Yale, and other IVY league locations would add these things to the inventory because as you said, they are reusable.

Also, just to clarify, this isnt those headless human meat bags that indian scientist said could be made back in '04 which I linked int he OP is it??

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

No these are a purely American creation - and there is no sinister intent. These are designed primarily to train medical practitioners of various types.

Also in terms of anatomy training our primary target users are actually nursing schools and community colleges - and even high schools now. For surgical simulation they go mostly to the U.S. military, high-end hospitals, and four year schools.

I don't know of any place that shows these off but if there is enough interest we may set something up. I would not mind taking them to MOSI - or plopping one down in the lobby of the theatre next door. I'll go next door to Starbucks and have a coffee.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Syndaver

well is there any David q. Public citizen can just come by the office and take a look at one?? I'll pay for the StarBucks
if you let me have a look at one for a few. And while I would think it be totally awesome to set one up at the lobby at the AMC right next to you, it would probably be safer at the MOSI considering all the unsupervised juvenile brats that hang out at Veterans 24, and the fact that people like to enjoy a lot of alcohol since they serve it in the movies now.

Were your bodies ever setup at MOSI when they did the cadavers feature some years back??

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Unfortunately no. I tried calling MOSI a few times but they never wanted to speak with me.

If we have enough interest after Shark Tank I will set something up at a local business - like MOSI or something else. We are not set up to host the general public and I am sure my insurance provider would frown on hosting crowds.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

yes, this is true I understand completely from the insurance POV. Have you also thought about other locations in the bay area that would draw a crowd interested in similar advances in science, such as The Florida Aquarium, Lowry Park Zoo, or heck even Bush Gardens

Assuming its a thing Syndaver has plans for anyways. Another thing just crossed my mind. Hollyood has been using the Bay area lately for some nice productions. Maybe there is potential for some nice realism in the special effects area for an action or horror sci-fi production and leasing out the cadavers. Maybe you will be hearing from some studio reps after the show tomorrow

That would be so cool if a movie studio ever setup shop out here. I would totally rock as an actor.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Thanks for answering and you too Victor. I did not have time but to skim the article earlier so jumped the gun. How much restoration cost are involved to return the artificial cadaver back to "mint" condition ?

I actually like the idea better than using real cadavers and it would seem more can be gained from a virtual cadaver as far as teaching and learning. Still feel that the real thing is something that trainees should utilize before actual practice but this is certainly promising and good luck with the venture.

And as far as making them walk and talk like politicians, I would perfer they just lay there, no sound bites and they would most likely get more done !
edit on 5/7/2015 by DJMSN because: Addition

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Dude

Underground US has illegal labs where they experiment on homeless and children.

What make you think they don't already have full blown awake humans for organ processing.

It is called runaway atheism.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   

We're testing the waters as far as the entertainment industry goes. We have already been on Myth Busters, a mini series called "Crossbones" (2014) with John Malkovich, Grey's Anatomy (including last night's episode), and we will probably start to do more.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   

I depends on the damage. Myth Busters had the units thrown off the top of buildings and had them crashed by dump trucks so those were difficult to fix. In general our clients are working on soft tissue components that can just be removed and replaced in individual pieces so it is not too difficult.

Also, like every other piece of capital equipment on the planet these are available with a service contract

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Syndaver

Cadavers are never actually "free". Even when they are donated the end user ends up paying for them, the transportation and disposal costs are not trivial, and the facility costs are onerous. Cadavers also have a limited shelf life and they are becoming increasingly difficult to obtain.

SynDavers are free of biohazards so they can be used on a kitchen table - and they will last forever if properly cared for.

Even in the short term they are cheaper to use than cadavers and over the long term they are much less expensive by
comparison.

I bet spare parts are available at short notice!

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join