It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Had to Vote Using a Pencil and NOT a Pen. Was Not Happy!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Today I voted in our Election for both the government and local government. I was given two different slips with the names of the candidates on them and which party they represented.

But I was forced to use a pencil, despite my objecting and creating a scene with other people joining in and claiming their papers also could be changed as a pencil mark is easy to rub out. I was told if I used a pen, my vote wouldn't count. Why the Fck not?

There is no way to check if your vote has been altered so we have to trust politicians not to bribe the counters or have bags grabbed and altered before they are counted.

I Don't trust either of our two main parties Cam the Spam or "Vote for me cos I'll be anything you want me to be Milliband , until after the election when I and rothschild will be running things for ya.

Does anyone else think people should be allowed to use a pen to vote with rather than a pencil or that our elections are being rigged ?

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
You think that's bad...

I was given one slip.

With just the local candidate!

Might go back in a minute and demand my second slip.

Edit: also had a pencil. So I made sure to press hard so if it's rubbed out it'll be noticed.
edit on 7-5-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

I know you believe your vote counts and bravo for trying, but it really doesn't matter! If you are voting with paper, none of the hundreds of people can be bribed? None of the hundreds of people are biased? I mean really sit down one day and just think about the process of voting...Then think how many hands involved could (or shall I say WILL) be paid off, bribed, threatened, and very much more to have the election results end in TPTB candidate winning? Even on computer screens, you really think computers can't be tampered with? Come on!! For God sakes the effing government themselves get hacked! You don't think a voting system could be (or shall I say IS) rigged? I understand the concern to want to vote, to want your voice heard, but in the grand scheme of things....You don't mean anything at all to this F#C#ED up process...Unless you are born of power or money, you don't stand a chance of punching your ticket to the big show....

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

This is something that came up in a thread earlier.
According to official rules you most certain CAN use a pen so those people lied to you.
It was on the BBC that I found it.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Well I wont vote because the way I see it, all I would be choosing is which scumbag gets a well paid job!

But, a PENCIL, thats just so wrong!

Slips should be marked by punching a shaped hole, there's no changing that!

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

What did your two slips say Shiloh?

I think we are being robbed of one of the slips here in my borough!

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Same for me, pencil on a bit of string in the voting booth.
I took my own ink pen out of my pocket and marked my 'X'.
I am glad I took it with me.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
There'd have to be a helluva lot of collusion for that to happen. If the process is similar to here, there are members of each party(riding members) that are there for the counting.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7
But I was forced to use a pencil, despite my objecting and creating a scene with other people joining in and claiming their papers also could be changed as a pencil mark is easy to rub out. I was told if I used a pen, my vote wouldn't count. Why the Fck not?

If that's what happened then you were incorrectly advised. However, your position is petty and if you were creating a scene the presiding officer could have had you removed. You can use whatever you want to mark the ballot paper, so long as the mark is clear and unambiguous. You could put a splodge of lipstick if you like, but best be conventional.

They use pencils because they work better than pens. Pencils are reliable.

If you think that people will sit in the public counting rooms rubbing out votes then you are on another planet. You should get involved in the voting process and you'll see the precautions taken to avoid any forms of fraud.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
But guys, you live in a monarchy so what else did you expect?

Seriously, about the pencil...., that's f@ up.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

I know you believe your vote counts and bravo for trying, but it really doesn't matter! If you are voting with paper, none of the hundreds of people can be bribed? None of the hundreds of people are biased? I mean really sit down one day and just think about the process of voting...Then think how many hands involved could (or shall I say WILL) be paid off, bribed, threatened, and very much more to have the election results end in TPTB candidate winning? Even on computer screens, you really think computers can't be tampered with? Come on!! For God sakes the effing government themselves get hacked! You don't think a voting system could be (or shall I say IS) rigged? I understand the concern to want to vote, to want your voice heard, but in the grand scheme of things....You don't mean anything at all to this F#C#ED up process...Unless you are born of power or money, you don't stand a chance of punching your ticket to the big show....

Oh good god come on. Is the paranoia so deep it has rotted common sense. In order to fiddle a hand written cross referenced stamped voting system you would need the collusion of hundreds of people frantically falsifying votes. Then all those votes would have to magically appear from a counted, stamped, sealed box. Then all the observers at the counting hall would have to be "not at all suspicious" that the voting has gone way different from both the pre-election polls and exit polls.

Electronic can be fiddled, paper is hard but traceble. You can only get away with it if nobody questions the vote.

Sounds like BS excuse to be too damned lazy to walk 2 hundred yards to vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Pencils should not be allowed for the very reason raised in this thread! I am amased that someone was tolf they had to use a pencil. Stinks. This should go viral. Its not on!

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

Our political voting choices may differ but I agree with everything in your post.
It would take hundreds of people with erasers in hand in a shady room to sort that out. It is bull#.
I worked at a count many years ago while employed by a local authority. There is no way they could pull something like that off without it being discovered, or at least whispered about in local government circles which administer the staff and resources for the ballot..
It is NOT whispered about in local government circles because there is no shady room where hundreds of staff with erasers rewrite X's in boxes.

...I am glad I used my own ink pen though as I know it cannot be erased.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Same here, I voted with a pencil but like others said you can vote with a pen if you want to (www.aboutmyvote.co.uk...).

I don't care if it was with a pencil, I care that I am allowed to vote, that we live in a society that give us this incredible privilege, a right denied to many in many different countries. I vote because the suffragettes fought for my right to vote and in some countries women are still not allowed.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

God forbid you ever have any real problems princess.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

Actually I was voting to get out of the EU "big show". Those at the top of the tree in this country don't interest me in the slightest and neither would I wish to be a part of their clique - most are inbred anyway. You do make a valid point that unless given money by your family or other circumstances, very few ever succeed and if they do, they can loose it just as easily. I notice that even our 'professionals' are starting to struggle financially and I wonder where it will all end.
Too many more cuts and I do think the English will start to get stuck into protesting. A government only govern with the will of the people, take away their lifestyle stealthily and resentment will erupt.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7
Today I voted in our Election for both the government and local government. I was given two different slips with the names of the candidates on them and which party they represented.

There is no way to check if your vote has been altered so we have to trust politicians not to bribe the counters or have bags grabbed and altered before they are counted.

I Don't trust either of our two main parties Cam the Spam or "Vote for me cos I'll be anything you want me to be Milliband , until after the election when I and rothschild will be running things for ya.

Does anyone else think people should be allowed to use a pen to vote with rather than a pencil or that our elections are being rigged ?

LMAO....that's hilarious, albeit, it is a cheap method to change votes when really all they need to do is shred the balots aver the polls close.

Where I vote we are given two options. We can vote with an electronic voting machine which we refer to as an Etcha-Sketch Machine. You turn wheels to select from a slate of candidates and push enter to cause a "check" mark for a box that corresponds to the crook of your choice, then when you get to the end you push enter again to cast all your votes and a big American Flag waves at you.

We call that Etcha-Sketch after the old childrens toy where you'd cause lines and figures to be drawn on the screen and when you were done admiring your creation, you shook the box and the figure disappeared and you were ready to start all over again. Just the same with our electronic voting machines....there's no real record whatsoever of any votes ever being recorded or entered or counted...you just get the Flag in your face and walk away.

Then we have the choice of a paper ballot we fill out by filling in circles. I'd never done that type voting before so I asked one of the "Poll Workers" how to do it and he said, "Fill out the form, then take it over there and put it into the shredder over there". I looked at him and said, "The Shredder?" He laughed and said, "Yep, that's what we call it". So... I did and put the paper into the wooden box and heard the whirring sound of a shredder.

I haven't voted since.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: stargatetravels

You know the women who handed out the forms were so specific about this as well as the bloke who was running the polling station. No pens. Thanks for letting me know.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

I like the punching process as you say its foolproof. But with the cuts, could you imagine the fuss about the cost or those who I believe would possibly tamper by substituting pre crossed forms, would be the first to loudly defend the pencil from the moral high ground..

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

|The second was for the local elections in the Borough. Perhaps ours are timed differently to yours. I admit I didn't know we were having any. One think I have noticed here is that in the past people have had flags, posters, stickers in their cars for a general election. This time round, there are hardly any posters up. I went out to one of the villages some 10 miles out earlier and I saw only 1 poster in the whole trip. Its like its not happening as far as the public are concerned.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join