It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornado watch thread Oklahoma & Texas 5/7/2015

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Going to be another wild day in Oklahoma and western north Texas. I figured I'd start a new topic for those of us that live in the area and anyone else fascinated with our weather. The interesting weather is supposed to be concentrated in western and southwestern Oklahoma and western north Texas today....i.e. home. I'll be keeping my eyes to the sky all day. Right now (11:18 AM) there is a line of heavy (not severe) thunderstorms stretching from Lubbock, TX up to Sayer, OK in western OK at the moment. Dumping much needed rain in the area. Hopefully that's all the storms do today, dump much needed water and this thread dies a slow painful death

But just in case, I figure I'd start this....keep your ears to the ground and your eyes to the sky!

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: EdSurly

Thanks for keeping us updated on the weather in your area. I have many friends in OKC and the homeplace north of Lubbock. I hope it doesn't hail us out; I suppose we could replant.....cotton and onions...if need be.

edit on 7-5-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Thanks! I'm in SW Oklahoma, and Mr. Dustbowl is currently in Sayre for work, so I will be checking in periodically throughout the day.

Hope you stayed safe last night. I apparently slept through all of the excitement...lol.

Star and Flag
and I will be back later! Stay safe out there!

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Weathers a funny thing. I have a 4 day weekend and there's a 100% chance of thunderstorms every day. I'll just hunker down with some cold ones. Be safe

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Another wild day ahead indeed. I'm not as worried about today I was yesterday but I'll still stay alert regardless.

Since I live in Moore, like most of the other residents here, I take this weather very serious. Especially when the weatherman warn of the potential dangers so far in advance.

Saturday, May 9th 2015, is being forcasted as the most severe potential for producing tornadoes. Looks like us Okies are in for a ride! Stay safe!

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
A severe thunderstorm watch was just issued for OKC & points South West.

16 Oklahoma Counties in all expiring at 8pm CST.

Would post links but I'm using my cell.
edit on 7-5-2015 by KewlDaddyFatty because:

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this thread Ed. I am in North Central OK and have been keeping an eye on it. The severe weather yesterday stayed just to the west of us. I am originally from OKC and all of my family is still there so we keep a close watch on it there too.

I know Southern Baptist Disaster Relief is already getting to work in the hardest hit areas from yesterday. I think we will try to get down there this weekend and pitch in with the cleanup if they need us and if the weather holds out. Let's hope yesterday was the worst of it, but they seem pretty cautious about Saturday at this point.

I read on your other thread that you married PC Norther. I graduated from PC Original in 97 and married a country boy. Small world! P.S. I laugh at him "going to town" too.

~OkieDokie

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I don't think these storms will be that bad. Right now (4PM) is prime time for tornadic storms to form and these aren't even severe. So maybe we'll just get some good rain out of them. Hope that isn't true what Fatty said about Saturday!

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I'm in Duncan in Stephens county and the line of storms got here right about 5:00 PM. We just got home from work about thirty minutes ago. There are traffic lights out, the cable is going in and out, it's pouring rain (yay!), the wind is howling and there's a ton of lightening. We live towards the top of a hil, yet my back patio is under water from the amount of rain that has fallen in such a short time.

I'm not too worried, as right now it's just a healthy thunderstorm, which we are used to. But if the cable goes out for any length of time (or the power, for that matter), my phone will be the only source for weather updates for us.

One of my co-workers lives up north of OKC, and he was telling me that there was someone who drowned in their cellar last night in the metro area. Apparently, they went to their cellar when the sirens went off, but it rained so much so fast that it flooded over the cellar and the water started pouring in thru the air vents, and with the weight of the water over the cellar door, they couldn't get the door open to escape and they drowned.

Does anyone else know if this is true? Because I haven't seen anything in the news about it, but I usually tune in to KSWO out of Lawton, rather than the OKC stations...

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: DustbowlDebutante

The Weather Channel reported someone drowned in their storm shelter so that's most likely true. They also reported a guy who DIDN'T go into his shelter ended up saving his nearby neighbors because they were stuck underground and the rain was coming through hard.

Those storm shelters aren't perfect, for sure...

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

True, that. How scary must it be to realize that what you thought would save you is actually a death trap?

KSWO is showing this line of storms all along US 81 Hwy stretching all the way down to Texas.

Everyone stay safe and dry!

It's already slacking off a little bit here. But down north of jacksboro, Texas they are showing some rotation.

ETA: they are also showing some rotation near Loco, Fox, Tatums and Velma, OK.
edit on 7-5-2015 by DustbowlDebutante because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

No they aren't perfect, but when the big twisters come through you will be glad you went into one. Yes it might flood, but the way the storms trained in Oklahoma yesterday isn't usual and so you won't get flooding like that all the time. But when you get Tornadoes like Jarrell TX and May 3rd 1999, where the tornadoes are so strong it doesn't just pick things up it shreds them to tiny pieces, your best chance to survive is to go down into your shelter, even if there is some water in it. (that's only if you don't have time to leave.) Unfortunately here in Texas we don't have the soil for basements, which makes us primed for a catastrophe if we get the big one.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Above ground shelters even ones inside the structure of a home are possible for places whose soil or water table will not allow economical construction of an in ground shelter. there are advantages. One: you do not have to run through inclement weather or darkness or both to get to them. Two: fatal flooding of the shelter is less likely. Three: if trees fall on the shelter or vehicles or the remains of the house the shelter is more visible to rescuers. four the shelter doubles as a safe room against home invaders, thieves, rapists or murderers. They can be made highly fire resistant such that survival of a fire is possible.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

yes but a underground shelter is still preferable, it's still somewhat possible to make one in North Texas. An above ground shelter is better than nothing, but like I said, your Stronger EF-5s won't have much trouble up rooting them. The most I think I've heard them built for is 200 mph.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
A Large tornado just north of DFW on the ground right now.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Two tornadoes reported on the ground in that area. One is reported as large, but there's a second one out there.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
i am in the line of travel for the tornado watch boxes at the north texas border. the first one just crossed into oklahoma at i 35. those are tracking my way.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yea, looks to be north Texas is getting the brunt of these storms tonight. Not as bad an outbreak as last night, and by this time of the night they should be winding down here pretty quick...hope all our Texan friends are safe.

The storm line passed through here at 10 till 4pm and it was one spooky looking line. Dark and green, I told the wife I was getting our kid from daycare and to meet me at my work where I could put both her car and my pickup inside....with a brand spanking new above ground storm shelter on site also. At home we have a central room and pillows
But my work is close, and my next door neighbor goes with us to my work if we need to take shelter.

For Saturday the storms look like they will be very bad, lots of tornadoes in our future it seems.

PS Newsflash; Woodward in NW Oklahoma just had a mag 3.3 earthquake!

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Oh great. We usually reload heading to Texas out of here, and should be reloading tomorrow. I'm so excited to hear Saturday is going to be a bad one.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: EdSurly
PS Newsflash; Woodward in NW Oklahoma just had a mag 3.3 earthquake!

Coming soon to SyFy Channel: Floodnadoquake: Watch in awe as a small Oklahoma community is stricken with the triple whammy of flooding, tornadoes, and earthquakes all at the same time. Starring Eric Roberts, Ian Zeiring, Lorenzo Lamas, Bruce Boxleitner, Vanessa Williams, Victoria Pratt, and Elizabeth Berkley as "Miss Kogie from Muskogee" Special gues appearance from Brian Bozworth, narration by "Good Ol' JR" Jim Ross.

Seriously, stay safe everyone who has decided to reside in tornado alley. Not a decision I'd make, but you all have a big brass set and a tremendous resiliance.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join