It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Court rules against NSA's phone records program

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 7 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Well a federal appeals court has ruled that the NSA's collections of phone calls is not up to par with the Patriot Act !!

Apparently they have been violating and maybe this affects the current debate about the soon to expire Patriot Act.

Complicated and provocative.

Can somebody explain the details?

A federal court has decided that the National Security Agency’s bulk, warrantless collection of millions of Americans’ phone records is illegal.

The sweeping decision from the Second Circuit Court of Appeals on Thursday represents a major court victory for opponents of the NSA and comes just as Congress begins a fight over whether to renew the underlying law used to justify the program.

Top federal court rules against NSA's phone records program

Orwell says "Hmmm"

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
This is good news! Throws a wrench into the debate for sure, the next few weeks will be interesting. I wonder what the other courts will say? If they all agree, the Supreme Court likely will not take the case.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: AllSourceIntel
This is good news! Throws a wrench into the debate for sure, the next few weeks will be interesting. I wonder what the other courts will say? If they all agree, the Supreme Court likely will not take the case.

I would think that it was good news if I thought for a moment that the NSA would pay any attention.

It isn't like the NSA has a great big bay window for us to peek through and make sure that they are following any rules that we think might apply to them.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

That is good news, however late.

"If the government is correct, it could use § 215 to collect and store in bulk any other existing metadata available anywhere in the private sector, including metadata associated with financial records, medical records, and electronic communications (including e‐mail and social media information) relating to all Americans," Lynch wrote.

"Such expansive development of government repositories of formerly private records would be an unprecedented contraction of the privacy expectations of all Americans."

The massive data collection of all American's health records combined with all communications is presumably already being used for nefarious purposes by governments (including but not limited to our own) and criminal associations around the world.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Great! The only question now is who will be serving jail time for these illegal acts? I know if I got caught illegally spying on the NSA I'd be looking at jail time.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

You know, I didn't realize they collect medical records... And WTH for? How do medical records have ANYTHING to do with national security? I mean, really...

It really pisses me off that someone I don't know might be looking thru my medical records. I guess they aren't subject to HIPPA laws like everyone else? That information - about MY health and MY body - is simply none of their damn business.

Are they afraid some menopausal lady is gonna miss a hormone injection and blow something up as a result?

This is beyond ridiculous. I really hope they don't renew this monster. It's invasive and offensive to the average citizen.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
This isn't really news everybody who follows the constitution and whats RIGHT! knows that the NSA cannot spy on people legally. Its only because their considered "officials" and they get to control the conversation in an effort to transform right from wrong.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Noooo! My aluminum foil investment!

Down the drain!!!

*calls broker*...

Anyone looking to buy shares of Reynolds Consumer Products?

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

People laugh and say the constitution is pointless and dated.........Take a good hard look. The constitution is a check and balance and the more we remember this simple fact the better life will get.

We are a republic ruled by law not a democracy.....We are a republic ruled by law not a democracy. Many laws on the books today are actually illegal according to the constitution. The war on drugs comes to mind along with the patriot act. The founding fathers were the truly revolutionary thinkers and this document will stand the test of time.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

They should just monitor the CIA and they will find all their terrorists. What is ridiculous is nothing is gonna be done about this. Tomorrow will just be another day in the office at the NSA, while they continue to violate our constitutional rights. All of these agencies are full of outlaws that violate international law and our constitutional rights on a daily basis.
edit on 7-5-2015 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Heard a speech by that pos that ran the nsa I think under bush the younger.

He said something to the effect that he was already doing massive data collection based on presidential order...

So even if they outlaw the collection of data they will continue it under that order.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Would be nice it this does change something. Wonder if this news is going to catch on much in the media and mainstream crowd. Are the same people and politicians who had no problem, such as when when first hearing of Snowden's "revealing", going take the same stance. Guessing they support the Patriot Act as well. Seeing how it usually goes with bills being signed in, the Patriot Act's renewal will also involve to declare that the spying is legal.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
This is good news...hopefully will cause more open debate in the Media

I'm sure the FBISIS will complain that they can no longer surveil the FBISIS

edit on 7-5-2015 by Noobarino because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Well, good for the court, but does this mean someone will insure that they destroy all of the data illegally collected? Will anyone serve time? It's the NSA, after all. I still remember when they were the agency that "didn't exist".

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

THANK YOU, Edward Snowden?

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DustbowlDebutante

I understand all medical records , medicines, labs, etc. must be stored electronically and accessible to whatever government agency wishes to review you. There is a time frame in which this must be done.

Why?

To determine who is healthy and who is not with a few keystrokes. This will be denied, of course.

Why?

Death Pannels? I don't believe that. But there is an agenda and I seriously doubt it is to benefit us in truth.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

THANK YOU, Edward Snowden?

Me? I am no one famous.

Was there a point to the comment?

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Nothing nefarious, or negative. I simply indicated, or meant to indicate, Edward Snowden brought the light of truth to shine on the NSA and Article 215 of Patriot Act. We know more now.

Apologies.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Nothing nefarious, or negative. I simply indicated, or meant to indicate, Edward Snowden brought the light of truth to shine on the NSA and Article 215 of Patriot Act. We know more now.

Apologies.

No worries! I wondered if that was what you meant. Rainy day distractions, and blonde, so hey! He did indeed shone a lot of light. No surprise they hate him now!

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   

a reply to: DustbowlDebutante

I understand all medical records , medicines, labs, etc. must be stored electronically and accessible to whatever government agency wishes to review you. There is a time frame in which this must be done.

Why?

To determine who is healthy and who is not with a few keystrokes. This will be denied, of course.

Why?

Death Pannels? I don't believe that. But there is an agenda and I seriously doubt it is to benefit us in truth.

I can now understand why we had the big government push for making everyone have insurance. They were hoping that if more people had insurance, more people would go to the doctor. That actually makes a lot of sense, now that you mention it.

I guess it didn't work as well as they had hoped, considering how many people are saying that once they pay the insurance premiums, they can't afford to pay the co-pay, fill their deductible or afford the needed medicines.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join