It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15,454 Dolphins Killed by Villagers, For 70 Cents A Teeth

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: stuthealien
it is also ridiculous to claim because you did something in the past that it should continue today.
we used to have black slaves in the past are you saying that should continue today because we used to do it?????
britain used to colonize countries should we continue today as we used to do it??????????????

as there is no way i can agree with your stance ,i tap out.

Huh? We are not talking about human on human activities here....your comparisons are not the same.

And yes, we do PLENTY of things to a MUCH higher degree than we did in the past. This story shows that they have not done anything to a higher degree than in the past. They are killing what they use and need for survival. I would say that is MUCH more humane than anything we "civilized" folks do these days....especially how we raise animals specifically for slaughter....yes, we have evolved SOOOO much more than these people.

What is it about these being "dolphins" that has you so up in arms? Would it be different if they raised them as we do pigs and cows, specifically for slaughter later? Would that be more humane or evolved?
edit on 5/7/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
interesting that you ask your final question, some scientist's want to 3d print meat from their base proteins and are working to perfect this ,but this tech is still under devolopment,

im in two minds with them being grown in a captive enviroment as they really are intelligent lifeforms (doesnt the us navy use them for placing mines on enemy vessels)

but hypothetically if the captive stock where taken from a clone and allowed to breed as normal and not sea stock then we have not upset the natural balance of things and i guess i could live with that,,but deep down i still know the orignal clone will devolop a intelligent mind , hard question

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

interesting that you ask your final question, some scientist's want to 3d print meat from their base proteins and are working to perfect this ,but this tech is still under devolopment,

im in two minds with them being grown in a captive enviroment as they really are intelligent lifeforms (doesnt the us navy use them for placing mines on enemy vessels)

but hypothetically if the captive stock where taken from a clone and allowed to breed as normal and not sea stock then we have not upset the natural balance of things and i guess i could live with that,,but deep down i still know the orignal clone will devolop a intelligent mind , hard question

I think I would sooner become vegetarian than eat meat that was printed....that just does not sound appealing to me at all.

Not sure if the Navy still uses them, but again, that was the bottle nosed dolphin, which is not what the article was about though it referenced them. The Navy definitely has a marine mammal program and has used bottle nosed dolphins and seals in the past....likely still do, just as we use dogs on land.

As for cloning....I think if we, as humans, would not do everything in such over abundance then we would have plenty to love from of anything we would like to eat. As such, there are plenty of greedy people out there that take more than they need. This article doesn't seem to be talking about people like that though. They seem to be taking what is needed to live and has been done to live for years.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Let us also not forget, that closer to home a picture could paint 1000 words.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

" This just makes me mad with rage. "
Are those dolphins more important than the people who kill them?
If so please tell me why?
Consider this, we in the west have been killing dolphins by the thousand every year for years by our fishing practices amongst other things.
We in the west have been destroying their environment for even longer.
You're raging over some islanders killing 15k dolphins over a span of how many years?
Get a grip.FFS!
Sorry if anyone has mentioned this already.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

While I agree, killing dolphins sucks, it seems this has been a tradition of theirs for a VERY long time.

Good point.
The natives in Alaska are still allowed to hunt whales, seals and walrus as they always have.

Thinking of that old saying, "All dolphins are whales but not all whales are dolphins..." leads me to believe that these folks are then basically exercising their previous (usual and accustomed) whaling traditions. Seems like using the term dolphin for the storyline is almost meant to make people upset.
I personally feel that if they aren't over fishing them and they are not wasting them then they are doing a much better job of keeping their environment intact than a bunch of weekend hunters here in the US or the tusk / rhino horn poachers are doing in Africa. It does appear that they are concerned, at least to the point that they don't lose their supply due to abuse without having to resort to firm quotas.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: stuthealien

I agree. Past human actions are no justifications for present immoral actions.

Dolphins are no ordinary animals. They are highly intelligent, they have a sense of self, they can recognize their reflexion, they have saved men many times in the past, and they have complex emotions.

Mass killing them is just wrong, like any mass killing of humans.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

Let us also not forget, that closer to home a picture could paint 1000 words.

Hmmm. That picture looks staged.
Don't they just club white pups, as the spots that come as they age make the pelts worthless? Not sure, but that is the way I thought it worked.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Wow... Way to miss a point.

The point is, sometimes hunting is justified, and other times, it is really not cool at all. Dolphins are highly intelligent, perhaps as intelligent as Man. Hell, they saved drowning human swimmers, for Pete's sake. India has recently given them a statute of "non-human persons". I still have a heart - I'd choose shrimps and fish anytime over killing a dolphin.

edit on 7-5-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I don't think the photo is staged. Search the topic it is one of the mildest pictures I could find.

My understanding is that it's illegal to club baby seals until after their fur changes from white. It happens after about 12 days they then can be slaughtered.

I thought it was because of the furs being more plush at that time.
edit on 7-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Originally, the hunts were for 'whitecoats' (pups) , but whitecoat hunting was banned in 1987 in Canada.
I guess locals still go out to bash juveniles skulls in though.

I was the first journalist allowed on a hunting boat during harp seal season in almost 15 years. Around the late 1970s whitecoat pups became the poster child for the anti-fur movement and by the '80s the media was lambasting the hunters for killing them. Business sharply dropped and this tight-knit community of hunters reacted by vowing to never let another journalist on their boat during the spring hunt. 

National Geographic
edit on bu312015-05-07T18:40:58-05:0006America/ChicagoThu, 07 May 2015 18:40:58 -05006u15 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

The point is, sometimes hunting is justified, and other times, it is really not cool at all. Dolphins are highly intelligent, perhaps as intelligent as Man. Hell, they saved drowning human swimmers, for Pete's sake. India has recently given them a statute of "non-human persons". I still have a heart - I'd choose shrimps and fish anytime over killing a dolphin.

You do realize that because one comments about one aspect of a subject, it doesn't necessarily mean that they missed every other possible aspect of that subject.
If I comment that a baseball is white with red stitching, does that mean that I am unaware that it is round?

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Please stick to the topic?

The topic is the hunting of dolphins, not your expertise in photography.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

it does not matter that they have hunted it for years.
we live in the here and now ,and some of us realise that most of life is sentient no matter if they are the dolphin that have teeth or not.

life is evolving on this planet ,and these people need to evolve with the times to ,we all do

I agree. I dont even want to look at the link but it must be a terrifying experience for the dolphins. Time to find a new hobby.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Maybe we should sell our computers and stop paying our internet bills so we can pay these villagers to stop fishing for dolphins...

Besides, what did Dan Marino ever do to these guys ?

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Please stick to the topic?

The topic is the hunting of dolphins, not your expertise in photography.

And what, do tell, did your post that I was replying to... have to do with the hunting of dolphins?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   

And what, do tell, did your post that I was replying to... have to do with the hunting of dolphins?

Seriously?? You mean, this post?...

...Well, it I am not sure (correct me if I am mistaking), but I believe it has something to do with the hunting of dolphins.

edit on 8-5-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Seriously?? You mean, this post?...

...Well, it I am not sure (correct me if I am mistaking), but I believe it has something to do with the hunting of dolphins.

Are we sure you didn't add that later?

edit on b000000312015-05-08T12:26:52-05:0012America/ChicagoFri, 08 May 2015 12:26:52 -05001200000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Are we sure you are not trolling?

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Well that makes it all ok then.
Do you not care for Dolphins?

dolphins are known to care for other dolphins, just as we care for our family members.
They deserve to have the same rights of protection as humans do. Just my opinion

top topics

<< 1   >>

join