It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finland to ensure online privacy by hiding internet traffic...under water?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Morning, people!
So i found this bit of info that sounds pretty interesting:

Finland is aiming to capitalise on Germany’s privacy worries by setting itself up as a haven where online data will be safe from the prying eyes of foreign governments. Cinia Group, a new state-owned telecoms company, is building a new submarine cable to link the Scandinavian country to German business and digital consumers. It comes amid growing concern that the EU’s ‘Safe Harbour’ agreement, which allows personal and financial data to be exported to the US, does not protect privacy. The route of the 685-mile cable has also been carefully planned to avoid waters where it would be more likely to be secretly wire tapped, in an effort to help build German confidence to use Finnish data centres.

A different article adds this:

The project, called Sea Lion, is being funded by Cinia Group, Finland’s government-owned telco. It will cost about $74 million, and is expected to be completed in 2016.

under the sea, under the sea...
we need to drown our data in order to protect it

I am really curious to know exactly how this system will work overall, i mean putting cables underwater will not ensure data privacy...we do that already. So i would love to know what features make this place safer than others.
All that aside though, i find it's crazy to what extent we are going just to make sure nobody gets a hold of our emails or those naughty drunk selfies.
And as a european, i do not like seeing america all up in our business frankly, this fetish to control everyone and everything needs to stop, and i am glad to see Finland at least giving it a shot.
What do you guys think?

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Good try. Nobody would ever think to look underwater for data transfer.
Maybe it's just a red herring. Maybe they are expecting spies to tap their undersea lines while secretly transmitting data through the quantum frequencies.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   
(big grin)

Two words...Ivy Bells.

We been tappin' deep sea cables since Bell said "Watson, come here"

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

What are the Germans hiding they need ultra secure online data banks?
Why are the Americans so interested in the Germans?

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

This won't work.

NSA mastered in underwater cables.

They used to use navy, now they don't need to.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Cinia´s own press release is a bit ambiguous, but it leaves me with the impression that they will be building a cybersecurity layer on top of a conventional cable.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Finland is officially becoming a modern day Soviet Union/ DDR style totaliarian contry by Criminalising the freedom of speech!
mvlehti.net...

top topics

join