It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quebec City of Granby Bans Insults Against Police, Civil Servants.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Quebec policies can border on ridiculous. It's the place in Canada that I love to visit but couldn't stand to live in. There always seems to be some new politically controversial crap going on there, the latest of which being Granbys decision to pass a bylaw stating that citizens who insult police or municipal officials face fines up to $1000.00. One Thousand Dollars! For an insult.

Dictator Harper is likely rolling this out in Quebec, where citizens have so many strange bylaws to deal with they won't bat an 'oiel', to see how it will fair in the rest of Canada.

I hope civil disobedience goes into full effect. Insults for everyone.
edit on 6-5-2015 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
You would never pay the fines, with the fascist crapola going on in the world, you have a duty to uphold freedom and equality and the true cosmic laws, not the petty crimes in these low life creatures heads. You never follow bad orders even if its a corrupt judge, never. You don't sell out humanity and children's futures.

For such a criminal ordinance, its not legal, its legislation that is null and void, therefore non existant, at conception, please study that and look it up.

It doesnt exist. Its just a criminal thought. Your conscience nulls and voids.

So, people need to start tshirt campaigns with some strong words for their minion employees who need to be told to shut up and go to the corner.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

You know who else has laws like that?

North Korea

China

Basically every dictatorship on earth.

Though as polite as Canadians are, maybe they just put into law what is already a social maxim.

Who canuks are weird to me as an american.

They are "tooooo" nice.

Maybe it is part of their plot to throw us all off so we don't see their takeover coming.

No, having been to Canada, I can assure you first hand, they would ask permission to invade and set up their dictator ship.

On a side note, Canadian civil obedience is the following..

A guy walks up to the authorities and doesn't good morning to them.

They are soo rude when they get mad!!!!

love you cousins, you Canadians are legendary!!!!

Never even heard of nicer folks other than the monks.

And that is because they don't talk much, so even if they are mad, you never know it.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Wow, for them to make such a law, they must have an ongoing problematic situation. I can conjure up a few scenarios, but would prefer it if you had a link for me to read. I'd really love to read the backstory on this. All I know about Granby is they have /or had a big zoo there.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   
That's Canada for you. I'm not the least bit surprised after seeing the stuff many Canadians write online. They love this big brother stuff up there, apparently.
edit on 7-5-2015 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Hello i'm from Quebec and french. Here's the "explanation".

Cops in Gramby city were giving too much tickets, using things like "Speed Traps" or "over-abusing" tickets ( i dont really remember what started the Facebok page ).

Then a facebook page was created and become popular, they even ID 1 cops doing a lot of these tickets. So they insulted him online.

Then Gramby passed that stupid law ( in team with the police surely ).

We got a problems of Polices abuses in Quebec right now, in Montreal with manifestations, police beating up people, gaz people and got a Wheel Chair lady and beat up a guy 3 hit in the face IN THE SAME SEQUENCE...
www.facebook.com...
and
ici.radio-canada.ca...

So the "governement" need to protect their policemen via creating these "laws"... They did the same by outlawing the manifestations in Montreal now...

They want to keep us poor, and un-educated... So we never become a country.... (Federalist are cutting all, except taxs, so we paid a lot, without service. So we get more and more poor/un-educated)

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Considering how thin skinned some of the people are in Quebec can be ,I am sure the Justice system would welcome the increase to their GDP . Gee some Quececers get offended if you speak English to them .

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Hey Granby, your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
That's Canada for you. I'm not the least bit surprised after seeing the stuff many Canadians write online. They love this big brother stuff up there, apparently.

WHAT?

No, absolutely not.

Please talk to some real Canadians, as opposed to reading the propaganda served by the various news outlets.

That's like saying all Americans agree with All Sharpon, or Bill Oreilly.

As for this story, there was already this bylaw in place in Grandby, they simply amended it to include online spaces.

It also will never hold up to judicial review and nobody has ever paid a fine in relation to this, that wasn't also charged with a crime.

~Tenth

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Granby is a very small part of quebec and even a smaller part of canada.

Oh and its 2015 can we lose the oh those quebecers are so and so.

Stupid law, that all i have to add.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Stupid laws like this always start with no fines and little enforcement, until a short time later when they tack a small fine on and some stronger enforcement rules. After a while of this, they start with strict enforcement and bigger fines.

The seat belt laws here in the states are a good example. It started with they won't pull you over because you aren't wearing the belt and had a small fine if they caught you. Then it became a law that they could pull you over for and increased the fines. Now it is TV commercials all over the place that say, "Click it or ticket". I started wearing the belt right away as a protest, no way I'm going to pay that ticket and will never give them the chance to get me for that one. I voted against it at the time as I knew they were going to keep pushing the issue.

Incrementalism at its finest. They never pass these type of laws without the knowledge that they will go full force with them at a future date. Mark my words, it will get enforced and the fines will skyrocket soon.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Sure thing...best not waste any time visiting up here. You wouldn't like it.
As to the matter at hand? Tabarnouche, eh?

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Robert Riel, Granby's deputy mayor, says it is unacceptable to insult a police officer, whether it be face-to-face or online.

Interestingly enough, nowhere in this bylaw does it say anything about not being able to insult a deputy mayor.... Perhaps the people of Granby should take that and run with it.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

WHAT?

No, absolutely not.

Please talk to some real Canadians, as opposed to reading the propaganda served by the various news outlets.

That's like saying all Americans agree with All Sharpon, or Bill Oreilly.

I do talk to Canadians (Or at least they claim to be Canadians) on the internet every day. I find the vast majority of them to be strongly in favor of big government. I'm sure not all Canadians are like that but it can also be said not all Americans are like that. That doesn't mean it isn't a massive problem here.

It also will never hold up to judicial review and nobody has ever paid a fine in relation to this, that wasn't also charged with a crime.

Well, I've never had to pay the Obamacare "tax". Yet. Why? Because I'm technically exempt from it. How long will that last? Well, you know how it goes with these people. One step at a time. Obamacare exists and isn't going anywhere. They clearly need to force as many people into it as they can. They will take additional steps to coerce the rest of us when they have to.

Anyway, some people just don't get it. Authoritarianism is on the rise in the West. Nothing is safe. Remember that. Don't take anything for granted. If these people don't like the laws, they will unilaterally change them when it's expedient to do so. And the courts won't stop them. They will simply do it incrementally if they have to. But it will be done if they want it.

Now of course whether or not people should be insulting cops and egging things on is beside the point. I think it's an ugly, dumb thing to do. I don't think it helps anyone. But to simply ban words is a drastic thing. We know this historically. It's never a good sign.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

You've just spoken to a few Canadians who obviously do not "support big government" (whatever that means, as citizens of either the U.S. or Canada, our government is huge and likely isn't going grass roots anytime soon). Being Canadians, I doubt the members who've spoken here personally, outside of the Internet, have many acquaintances who have the opinion of, "Hey Hosers, I friggin' love Harper, how 'boot you, eh. Keep the beer and hockey comin', am I right?"

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

What, the police and officials there can't handle an insult? This is beyond ridiculous! No freedom of speech in Quebec, I guess.

So, as a non-citizen, can I state straight up that they are all a bunch of babies?

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Sure, but you have to say it in both official languages. It's the law.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Sure, but you have to say it in both official languages. It's the law.

Let them come get me!

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Ha, I have been to Granby twice . It was years ago but it was nice enough . Must say I loved the restaurants

I can't help but wonder if this story is being reported in the correct context ?

If it is as the report makes it sound then this is troubling .

As for Harper rolling out this law , that is simply not possible and to suggest that is plain silly .

edit on 7-5-2015 by Max_TO because: (no reason given)

top topics

join