It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oculus Rift finally gets consumer version and actual release date

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
a reply to: FriedBabelBroccoli
it depends. VR and augmented reality are two sides of the same coin. The Oculus Rift just does one side. The Hololens cliams to do both, but many are saying it's not there yet and that the Oculus rift is closer.

It's all a matter of the technology becoming available.

I agree that VR is going to make its way to the consumer first, and likely in a big way. However VR is like a desktop computer whereas the AR is more like the smartphone in terms of versatility. Also I don't think people will have as much of an issue with the AR in public because people already walk around with big bug-eyed glasses.

The VR will be more like walking around with a box on your head that can only stream in video from a camera, which will drain power and reduce the efficiency of the device requiring more battery power. The screens also draw more power which could be diverted to the CPU which gives AR greater range.

The tech culture values efficiency to an unhealthy level at times, you would not believe how much time I spend writing code to reduce my custom circuits to min-terms just to shave off 20 nanoseconds from a critical path or use 100 fewer transistors costing ~10 cents a pop.

I will say again that I agree with you that VR is the tech that is here NOW, and it will have its moment.

-FBB

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: FriedBabelBroccoli

The Oculus is capable of AR, you just need to strap a stereo camera to the front of it.

From what I can gather, the Leap Motion controller allows this, I plan on purchasing a Leap once know a bit more about it, and if it will be worth it.
edit on 10/5/15 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Does this mean I will finally get to ride a dragon?! Dreams do come true.

<< 1  2   >>

join