It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freddie Gray officer threatened to kill himself and ex-partner's husband

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Ugh...

I'm aware of the source being a point of contention.

The Baltimore police lieutenant charged with the manslaughter of Freddie Gray allegedly threatened to kill himself and the husband of his ex-girlfriend, during incidents that led to him being disciplined and twice having his guns confiscated.

Brian Rice, who pursued and arrested Gray after the 25-year-old “caught his eye” on 12 April, was reportedly given an administrative suspension after being hospitalised for a mental health evaluation when he warned he was preparing to shoot himself in April 2012.

I find that very troubling. You can't carry concealed if you've been hospitalized for mental problems, I really don't want someone carrying a gun AND having as much power over people as a police officer does if they'e been locked up.

Rice, 41, also received an internal discipline when a judge granted a temporary restraining order against him after a request from Andrew McAleer, the husband of Karyn McAleer, who is the mother of Rice’s young son and a fellow Baltimore police officer. Rice has been married to and divorced from two further women, according to court records.

Well there's another red flag. Perhaps dealing with these things in house isn't the brightest idea.

I understand that a cops home and work life are separate, but it's worrying someone had a restraining order against him, even if temporary. I don't actually know what sort of loops one has to go through to get a restraining order, but Im assuming they don't just hand them out like candy.

McAleer said in his court filing, which was first reported by the Guardian last month, that Rice forced one of Karyn McAleer’s young children to “shoot” a photograph of her and her husband that Rice had “taped to a piece of cardboard intended for target practice”. It was not clear from the filing whether any weapon was actually used.

If true, someone certainly had some anger issues.

Link

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

This guy is a real piece of work. And the department keeping him around like his behavior was perfectly normal and befitting the standards law enforcement should be held to. I would hope that heads would roll right on up the ladder over crap like this but I definitely won't expect it.

Another strike:

Rice was ordered to stay away from McAleer, his home and his workplace after a series of alleged confrontations, including one armed standoff in June 2012 when officers from two police departments responded to a 911 call and spent 90 minutes defusing the situation.

edit on 6-5-2015 by FraggleRock because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This history of violent behavior and mental illness will crucify him in court. he may as well kill himself now, these instances clearly describe his character and state of mind, and also show he should not be carrying a gun, let alone policing the streets. I only mention that he should not be carrying a gun because under those circumstances the second-class citizen would be sent to prison, let alone ever be legally allowed to own a firearm again.
edit on 5/6/2015 by DYepes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Seen this tossed around in a couple of the on going threads, really does deserve it's own

This guy was just a lawsuit waiting to happen!

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

God I love news it's so rich in irony!!!!

So..,,,, he threatened to kill a ex-girlfriend's husband? That is a violent offense and under Maryland state law he is no longer allowed to possess firearms.

They confiscated his gun and put him in the hospital for mental evaluation?

Under federal law he is not allowed to possess a gun.

a person who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or who has been admitted to a mental institution;

source

What everyone is witnessing is hypocrisy at its finest.

edit on 6-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: FraggleRock

Oh that's just fantastic, I missed that part somehow.

We need to start holding the people in charge of holding people accountable accountable.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

The Domestic Violence Offender Gun Ban often called "the Lautenberg Amendment" ("Gun Ban for Individuals Convicted of a Misdemeanor Crime of Domestic Violence", Pub.L. 104–208,[1] 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(9)[2]) is an amendment to the Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act of 1997 enacted by the 104th United States Congress in 1996, which bans access to firearms by people convicted of crimes of domestic violence. The act is often referred to as "the Lautenberg Amendment" after its sponsor, Senator Frank Lautenberg (D - NJ).

The Lautenberg law is federal law and while this individual was not convicted it is only because no charges were actually filed. I know people in the military who were accused who had the law applied to them and their career was over at that point. It smells for certain as this man was hospitalized and made threats involving violence but was still allowed to carry a weapon and perform duties as an officer.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
What everyone is witnessing is hypocrisy at its finest.

Domestic violence and getting by with it is a common thing with LEOs.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I cannot deny that is well proven fact.

Now for a ballad.
( just for you Bedlam) sung to the tune of " take the money and run".

This was the story of Bill Lewis and his guns

A hotheaded cop who's girlfriend had more fun

He sat at the House threatened to kill himself and everrrrrryooooooone

here's what happen when Baltimore should've cut them loose

He headed over to East Baltimore

That's where he ran into a big hassle

He cuffed a man and dump them in the van

(chorus).... This may not be politically correct but the course is. " you can no longer break a black man and run"

Now Marilyn Mosby is the DA of the land

She knows exactly just what the facts is

Ain't going to let those six escape justice

She threw the book at them and laughed

(Chorus)

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Just one of the things this article has brought to light seems enough. There are far too many red flags.

new topics

top topics

join