It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spanish domestic football to be suspended

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
All of it.
It seems a row has broken out between the Spanish football federation and the Spanish government over TV and pools revenue so the Spanish football federation has thrown its toys out the pram and took its ball home.

In the statement, the RFEF federation said it had acted after three months of talks with the government had failed to resolve the dispute.
It said more than 600,000 players and 30,000 matches across the country would be affected by the suspension.

However, it also stressed: "At the same time, and yet again, we reiterate the offer of dialogue to the Spanish government."
The RFEF acted after the government last week approved a new law on collective bargaining for TV rights.
The law - which still needs to be approved by parliament - aims to regulate the rights to broadcast matches in Spain's first and second divisions.
The government has so far made no public comment on the federation's statement.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Wow

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Here is a link to the story from the Spanish sports periodical Marca English edition.

Marca

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

You might consider a reminder for all U.S. folks. Football is soccer in USA.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

You just did that, plus there really is no Spanish American football of any note, PLUS football is played with the feet...

Just joking, it is an old joke isn't it?

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

I have to say first of all, that I detest football. I find it a game of singular tedium, and furthermore that those who consider themselves professionals at it, are rather better paid than they ought to be.

This being said, it seems foolish of the Spanish footballing bodies to have decided to screw themselves in such a fashion as this. The game is massive in Spain of course, but shutting down the circus because the farmer wants too much for a pitch seems crazy when the game is making soooo much money over there, for players, managers, directors, and so on. The profit margins of some of the bigger clubs are OBSCENE!

I find this whole thing utterly bizarre, personally speaking.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

You just did that, plus there really is no Spanish American football of any note, PLUS football is played with the feet...

Loved that..the Germans love footie too, except no Hans!

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I have to say first of all, that I detest football. I find it a game of singular tedium, and furthermore that those who consider themselves professionals at it, are rather better paid than they ought to be.
I find this whole thing utterly bizarre, personally speaking.

Now, you are being a Silly Billy, footballers and all that stuff make millions for industry. Think of all the Range Rovers, and Lambo's and Ferrari's....notwithstanding all the fecking football dress I need/have to buy for my big kids pro rata that's advertising summit else that I will have to pay for..eventually, then all over again, you pint swilling moron!

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

The idea is the players are being screwed and are tired of it. They are basically going on strike.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Doesn't matter to me what it's called in the US the game is called football no matter what you choose to call it there , given the thread title is "Spanish domestic football to be suspended" I'd imagine even Americans would understand this is European football not American football.
There are plenty of Europeans here and that's who the thread was aimed at.

edit on 7-5-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   

I highly doubt it will come to pass - we have the same discussion every year regarding this issue. It usually goes along the lines of;

League clubs complain the tv split is unfair (it is, massively so).
Real and Barca say well we won't negotiate.
Other clubs say "ok, then we won't play you".
Real and Barca say "ok, we still won't give you more".
Government usually get involved at this point and say "oh go on, give them more"
Real and Barca say "oh ok then"
Other clubs say "ok we will play you then"
Real and Barca say "yay, games back on.....and we aren't paying you extra after all"
Other clubs say to government "?"
Government says "nothing to do with us"
Other clubs say "........ok......."

Repeat the following year.

I would like to see the other Spanish clubs actually stick to their guns this time round. Could you imaging the outcry over here if say Man Utd and Chelsea got over half of all tv money? Last year when Atletico won the league, they received less tv money (£30 million ish) than the bottom Premier League got (around £60 million ish). It is completely unfair and completely unsustainable. If they stuck to their guns, they would realise they hold all the cards. What can Real and Barca do? They can't play a 2 team league!

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Joke but true.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Most Americans know if your talking about football and your not from here, that your most likely talking about soccer.

Peace.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Doesn't matter to me what it's called in the US the game is called football no matter what you choose to call it there , given the thread title is "Spanish domestic football to be suspended" I'd imagine even Americans would understand this is European football not American football.
There are plenty of Europeans here and that's who the thread was aimed at.

It is also in the world sports forum as opposed to the US sports forum so there should be absolutley no confusion whatsover

top topics

join