It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who funded the Revolutionary War?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I post this question to see where this conversation leads. Wars have to be funded by someone, right? I ask about the Revolutionary war because that war had to do with the establishment of the US. Maybe it was the prince of Saudi Arabia, maybe an enemy of the British royalty at that time, or someone else. I'm on my phone so I can't post any pictures or support information.

Whomever it was they are investors in this country in a sense. Much like people who invest in star-up businesses. Are these people
the "tptb?" Who call the shots? What does ATS think?

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Well you can count out Saudi Arabia. At that time in history their biggest concern was finding camel dung for the fires.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

The Colonists had military help from France, Holland and Spain. So i would assume cash came from those countries also.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
I post this question to see where this conversation leads. Wars have to be funded by someone, right? I ask about the Revolutionary war because that war had to do with the establishment of the US. Maybe it was the prince of Saudi Arabia, maybe an enemy of the British royalty at that time, or someone else. I'm on my phone so I can't post any pictures or support information.

Whomever it was they are investors in this country in a sense. Much like people who invest in star-up businesses. Are these people
the "tptb?" Who call the shots? What does ATS think?

Well....according to wiki it was a Jewish businessman named Haym Salomon.

Source

Haym Salomon (also Solomon; April 7, 1740 – January 6, 1785) was a Polish-born Jewish American businessman and political financial broker who immigrated to New York from Poland during the period of the American Revolution. He helped convert the French loans into ready cash by selling bills of exchange for Robert Morris, the Superintendent of Finance. In this way he aided the Continental Army and was possibly the prime financier of the American side during the American Revolutionary War against Great Britain.[1]

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

The Colonists had military help from France, Holland and Spain. So i would assume cash came from those countries also.

Yeah, this.

Mostly France though. Without the then very mighty French military sending military aid and finances to the rebels, America would still be paying her taxes to the Crown.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I thought many of the states started to sell paper reciepts which would later become money. Pretty much they created credit. It was the beginning of the Finanicial system for America

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
France--actually their economy totally went in the crapper due to their helping us. Holland. Espana.

Not saudi arabia. lol where did that come from anyway xD

Yeah Ben Franklin went to France and stuff to ask for help before the war. Could have something to do with the ark of the covenant being taken to the new jerusalem (america). At least that's what I'm thinkin.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Lots of countries did. The congress issued over $400 million to troops for pay. Other countries (Spain and France) chipped in several million each. Britain spent a couple hundred million. The new nation ended up asking states to field their own troops as well as support them by the end of the war. The country issued land grants to troops in lieu of actual pay.

So the short answer is "pretty much everybody"

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

The taxpayers.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

The french contributed a lot.

In fact a lot of your muskets, Cannons, boots and uniforms came from them.

I hear it said a lot the patriot army would never had made it through the winter at valley forge without the French help.

Spain would have contributed too because the same reason as France and that was based around the concept of # the British

edit on 6-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX
America would still be paying her taxes to the Crown.

Na they would be like Canada.

They would of had the civil war slightly earlier when we ditched slavery and you would have a parliment instead of a congress and prime mister instead of a president but you would be your own sovereign nation.

Your flag would look a little different though

We would still be on ATS discussing how the US labour Prime Minster Obama was screw up like the conservative Prime Minister Bush.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
Wars have to be funded by someone, right? I ask about the Revolutionary war because that war had to do with the establishment of the US. Maybe it was the prince of Saudi Arabia, maybe an enemy of the British royalty at that time, or someone else.

Dont' forget that many of the revolutionaries funded their own participation in the war, at least at the beginning.

France had a LOT to do with us winning the war, so I would believe without citing any sources that they probably were the biggest donors of money, training and effort.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

France had a LOT to do with us winning the war, so I would believe without citing any sources that they probably were the biggest donors of money, training and effort.

Well those darn Frenchies really hated us British, no effort was to much to give us the royal finger

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Well those darn Frenchies really hated us British

Remember what happened to Napoleon?

Revenge is sweet

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

You fellas had way better sailing songs and ditties. Chalk it up to jealousy.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
France and Spain for the most part, they had a vested interest in hampering Britain's activities in the New World. The Spanish empire was already in decline, making them all the more desperate to hold on to what they had, and Britain was a potential threat to those holdings. As for France, Louis XVI was already having to contend with radical new enlightenment concepts that were threatening his reign, and defeating the British may have helped to strengthen the monarchy, or at least stave off the impending revolution for a short time.
edit on 6-5-2015 by DiggerDogg because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

You fellas had way better sailing songs and ditties. Chalk it up to jealousy.

course we did. It why you guys pinched one and turned it into your national anthem

We will get for copy right one of these days

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Never!

"We have not yet begun to steal British songs!" - John Paul Jones

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

John Paul Jones

He of Led Zeppelin fame ?

top topics

join