It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea KN-11 SLBM test April 22nd - US would never see it coming....why no news on this?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

The US uses an extremely advanced decoy on their boats. It fits on a standard torpedo body and can mimic several different signatures. They also have decoys that can be dropped that hang in place.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Here is one of the articles I found about their having SINPO class subs with vertical tubes.......not sure if these are the same sub they are talking about or not though.....has satellite pics in article.

Source

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

The only missiles I've ever heard of near the conning tower like that were antiaircraft missiles. You don't put ballistic or cruise missiles in the conning tower. They would take up the entire thing and leave no room for crew.
edit on 5/6/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Now I know N. Korea is getting outside assistance with its nuke program. Sub launched nukes require miniaturization technology to get the war head small enough.

Question to our military people -

does N. Korea have the blue water infrastructure to get their subs into launching range and back (fuel replenishment)?

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

does N. Korea have the blue water infrastructure to get their subs into launching range and back (fuel replenishment)?

What if they used the sub as a suicide device? You know float the boat in, blow the bomb, Lil' Kimmy laughing as China blows him up for attacking the US.

Personally I think this is a non-threat. In fact if anything, this could be viewed as a perfect defection vehicle (think Hunt for Red Oktober).

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

No, not even close, which is why the sub itself is not a threat; but as Zaphod pointed out, depending on the missile and its range, they might not need to even leave the pier. Also, as former Naval Intel, I can back everything Zaphod has said in this thread.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I live very near a nuclear power plant and AFB on coast of CA. I appreciate your we're not gonna all die theory.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
KN-11; also known as an aluminum pipe chock full of firecrackers.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

I dont think I have ever not agreed with Zaph. He knows his stuff and backs it up.

My post about the sub was a question I had. I am not all that familiar with N. Korean military assets.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Everything I've seen about them is largely brown water. A lot of patrol craft and support ships. They have some decent diesel boats, but a lot of their subs are short range infiltration types.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Now I know N. Korea is getting outside assistance with its nuke program. Sub launched nukes require miniaturization technology to get the war head small enough.

I agree Nk received assistance in miniaturization.Not a big list of suspects willing or technically capable outside of Russia or China.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

That's what SOSUS is for. And stopping a raft is a completely different animal. A rubber raft has little to no acoustic signature, no magnetic field, and no reflective surfaces for sound or radar on the surface.

And no nuclear weapons to focus one's attention.

Norks don't have nuclear powered subs I assume, correct? Do they have enough fuel/logistics for deep oceangoing operations?

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

From what people have stated I think the refugees fleeing from Africa to Europe in the med have better logistical support.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

The Golf is their only real long range sub left. They had four Whiskey class, but they were reported retired, although one was seen in 2013. Everything else they have is coastal or midget. The Romeo class was used as special operations boats, but are being phased out in favor of the Sang-O or Sang-O II.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Question you should ask yourself is.

Why does NK hate USA so much, and not say Brazil or Russia or France.

Why hate for USA ?

Answer that for yourself I am not interested, I know the answer already.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: TorinoFer

Question you should ask yourself is.

Why does NK hate USA so much, and not say Brazil or Russia or France.

Why hate for USA ?

Answer that for yourself I am not interested, I know the answer already.

Because North Korea invaded South Korea and the US, along with a dozen other nations with a UN mandate, pushed them back across border.

Secondly they are still at war with each other, which is why we have troops stationed there (not to mention that the UN mandate is still active).. Currently only a cease fir is in place.
edit on 7-5-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

An SLBM is an ICBM. With their subs though they would have a hard time getting close to the US mainland to launch a strike. They don't have the training, and a Golf class isn't a particularly stealthy boat anymore.

It's a huge leap for them, don't get me wrong, but it's not up to the level of we're all gonna die.

So NK went from their first detonation of a nuke to mini warheads for SLBMs in under a decade, that points directly to PAKISTAN and guess who bought the same package that NK and Libya bought from AQ Khan? IRAN!!!

NK and Iranian scientist and generals have been seen working together in each of their countries so Iran does not need to test anything as NK has already done the nuclear work for them while Iran did the missile test years ago. They already have the bomb now and missiles to carry them.

Israel is not lying when they tell the world that Iran is very dangerous for all of us. With Iran's big bluster lately maybe they know, that the U.S. is aware they secretly have nukes and can deliver them.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

What if they used the sub as a suicide device? You know float the boat in, blow the bomb, Lil' Kimmy laughing as China blows him up for attacking the US.

Lil Kim jr does not take a dump without China's permission. North Korean troops were drove into China by MacArthur before China seen a threat to their own land. They shocked everyone by invading NK, drove the U.S. and the rest of the UN armies back way south of the DMZ, the U.S. regrouped and was beating the Chinese back north as the Chicoms then wanted a ceasefire. China knew they were going to lose a lot on the ground if they stayed in that fight. The Russians were already losing a lot of their good pilots to U.S. fighters so they both wanted out asap since NK could hold on to what they started out with.

Without China it would be one non communist Korean Republic today. Had Eisenhower listened to MacArthur North Korea would not exist China would not be communist today. He was going to nuke the hell out of the Chinese for sending millions of screaming Chinese across the border to attack us. In hind site that would have been a dam good idea rather than losing so many U.S. troops to them. 40,000 Marines slaughtered a million of the commies in one battle so how many really would have died before they flew the white flag? They probably would have lost less people than they did, just like if the U.S. would have had to invade mainland Japan.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Patriotsrevenge

Actually no, they went from detonating their first warhead, to building a MISSILE that can be launched from a sub. There is no evidence yet that they've miniaturized the warhead enough to go on the missile. All we've seen so far is a launch test of a land based missile, and a missile submerged on a platform.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   

a reply to: Patriotsrevenge

Actually no, they went from detonating their first warhead, to building a MISSILE that can be launched from a sub. There is no evidence yet that they've miniaturized the warhead enough to go on the missile. All we've seen so far is a launch test of a land based missile, and a missile submerged on a platform.

Developed SLBM capabilities are a minor concern at this date. The North Korean military is staffed with fanatics. I'd be less concerned with a launch though and consider it a distant alternative method of delivery. Sailing a sub into a target port and detonating sub-surface is a major concern. There wouldn't be a lot of physical evidence left over ... just radioactive signature.

Getting caught trying to get away after a nuclear sneak attack would be unthinkable.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join