It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea KN-11 SLBM test April 22nd - US would never see it coming....why no news on this?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I understand the signals intel field but my point is still that they can't do it. They just can't..they may but its not guranteed. Even with SOSUS. I'm sure its great at what it does but nothing is 100% accurate...and even if that sub did move what is the usa going to do? Stop it? Attack it before it gets close enough? Id imagine the range on those babies is enough to make it awkward. I'm curious while I got you here...what is the range on sub nukes? Besides I've seen Down Periscope...I know just howd Id fool them hahah...joking of course...but great movie!
edit on 6-5-2015 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-5-2015 by rockpaperhammock because: I need to proofread some day

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Depending on the range they could theoretically shoot it while sitting at the pier.

It's a step. You can't get to more advanced systems until you go through this step. The only way North Korea gets to where they can evade the best other countries have is if Russia sells them advanced diesel or top of the line nuclear boats. It takes a long time to develop your own subs and get to that point.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I would suspect that the NK generals would take out the knucklehead before he gave orders to launch. Otherwise NK would exist for about 30 minutes after their first missile was burned out of the sky. a reply to: Vasa Croe

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: flibbleflobble

originally posted by: Greathouse
Rumor has it that North Korea is building a new missile submarine. The Sinpo 67 , specifications haven't come out yet. But I imagine it resembles the Golf class. Another diesel electric sub with a 10,000 mile range. That would need to snorkel quite a few times to reach do US West Coast. Diesel subs are hard to track on battery power, but pretty easy when they snorkel.

Now while North Korea may have 20 bombs that is a far cry from the miniaturization required to mount them in a reentry vehicle. I seriously doubt they have a achieved that goal yet.

Doesn't matter how many they have, one is all it takes.

Also the fact that they have them is deterrent from invading forces enough, why do you think nobody has invaded them yet?

Why you ask?because they have not tried to infiltrate past the agreed on lines. rhetoric is alot different than a actual attack.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: flibbleflobble

You missed the entire point about the Minimization required to mount a nuclear warhead on a intercontinental ballistic missile. Remember there is a big difference between a nuclear bomb and a nuclear warhead for a missile.

I'll ask you a better question. Who in the hell would want to invade North Korea? Building the interstructure of that backwards Ass nation and providing electricity to all would probably bankrupt most nations.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

There's going to be evidence it's getting ready to sail. Which allows for an SSN to get near the harbor to shadow her on the way out.

If there's evidence she's going to launch, and she was heading towards a US target, that SSN can put her on the bottom first.

Range depends on the missile. A Trident II with a reduced payload is about 6100 nm. A full payload is over 4000 nm.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Depending on the range they could theoretically shoot it while sitting at the pier.

It's a step. You can't get to more advanced systems until you go through this step. The only way North Korea gets to where they can evade the best other countries have is if Russia sells them advanced diesel or top of the line nuclear boats. It takes a long time to develop your own subs and get to that point.

This also has me wondering if it is related to China building their new islands and runways in the South China Sea area.....

I would imagine any test they ran included monitoring for tracking tech of some sort?

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

So....the NK's could float their missle over on a rubber raft prior to shooting it off!

We're doomed! Doomed I say....death by a rubber raft!

Good point they could also build a Trojan war rubber ducky the fires missiles out it's ass.

After all GE has proven with testing rubber ducky's are virtually indestructible!!!!

edit on 6-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

You missed the entire point about the Minimization required to mount a nuclear warhead on a intercontinental ballistic missile. Remember there is a big difference between a nuclear bomb and a nuclear warhead for a missile.

I'll ask you a better question. Who in the hell would want to invade North Korea? Building the interstructure of that backwards Ass nation and providing electricity to all would probably bankrupt most nations.

I could say the same about America, it's education, it's healthcare, it's militarisation of the world, it's racially divided society, but I don't.. oh.. umm yes I did.

Now, all of a sudden NK has submarines, and that SUPRISES people, the very same people that say similar things to what you just did, treat them as backwards. Don't you find it arrogant to poke fun at other people by YOUR standards yet when the rest of the world point out your failings and double standards, they're branded russians, nazis, communists, etc etc.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

There is plenty of money to go around if it is about acquiring a new area of land by a large nation. NK would be a nice place for a much larger nation to set up......

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

You've been watching too many YouTube videos.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: flibbleflobble

I could say the same about America, it's education, it's healthcare, it's militarisation of the world, it's racially divided society, but I don't.. oh.. umm yes I did.

Now, all of a sudden NK has submarines, and that SUPRISES people, the very same people that say similar things to what you just did, treat them as backwards. Don't you find it arrogant to poke fun at other people by YOUR standards yet when the rest of the world point out your failings and double standards, they're branded russians, nazis, communists, etc etc.

I don't think it is surprising that they have subs or nukes. I think what is surprising is that this has not been a story that was picked up by anyone...it has mostly been focused on the KN-08 land based mobile ICBM. Just given how the two methods of delivery differ, I would say a sub with the same capability would be a much more talked about threat than a land based mobile unit.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I don't buy that. North Korea is a joke.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Come on VC, you of all people should know when I was being facetious.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boeing777

And this is exactly why people didn't see the submarines coming.

*surprised O face*

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Is it possible to make false signatures? I have no doubt it could be destroyed but an amazing thing to think about is when. When do you hit that sucker without it being a direct attack on North Korea..then the US going to the UN and preventing their evidence once again...it creates an awkward situation...even if the US was baited into destroying it. If you hit it too close to NK it looks suspicious...if you hit it while closer to the usa you risk being nuked. I think the psychology factory involved is greater than the actual sub and nuke itself. America doesn't have a lot of room for more false evidence (referring to the Iraq war...Terroism link then Weapons of Mass Destruction link).

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

If it's out at sea, they'd have to get to it to prove it wasn't an accident.

You can use decoys, but with an SSN on your tail it's going to be hard to fool with a Golf. The Golf was top of the line in the 60s. With the new sonars and processing power of even an LA boat it wouldn't have a lot of trouble tracking a Golf from relatively short range.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boeing777

Well, it has been confirmed multiple times at hearings committees apparently....

Source

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Thx for the reply and info...I find it interesting. Never really thought of the realm of false signatures...I have heard some things in the realm of false signatures with explosions ...man this sounds like a great business idea haha.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

If it's out at sea, they'd have to get to it to prove it wasn't an accident.

You can use decoys, but with an SSN on your tail it's going to be hard to fool with a Golf. The Golf was top of the line in the 60s. With the new sonars and processing power of even an LA boat it wouldn't have a lot of trouble tracking a Golf from relatively short range.

Is it a GOLF sub that they are currently using?

I have also read reports from January of this year of a SINPO sub that they have been building vertical launch tubes for ballistic missiles in....
edit on 5/6/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join