It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK elections 2015. I have finally made my decisionand I am stunned at my choice.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: crazyewok well I just feel more of an affinity towards miliband than cameron

Do you even know your local candidates?

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Fair play, it's your choice, that's the beauty of it, isn't it?

I have too much of a social conscience to ever go down that road.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok I know the labour one, he visits the charity I volunteered at. I don't know much about the conservative one she's only just got the job after the last guy retired, so she hasn't had chance to really settle into the job, but Im in a safe TORY seat. It's been TORY my entire life. Over 36 years. MP recently retired and won't be standing at the next GE

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Watchfull
a reply to: smurfy

I think you will find that the miners destroyed much of Britains industry, it just depends how you look at the politics.

Had Thatcher lost the election, the all consuming unions would have turned the UK into a third world country, much worse than todays Greece.

Of course, it was a thankless job.

Nice try, but I've been around through all those times, and a good deal before that, and you don't fool me one bit..especially with rhetoric and nothing else.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: Watchfull
a reply to: smurfy

I think you will find that the miners destroyed much of Britains industry, it just depends how you look at the politics.

Had Thatcher lost the election, the all consuming unions would have turned the UK into a third world country, much worse than todays Greece.

Of course, it was a thankless job.

Nice try, but I've been around through all those times, and a good deal before that, and you don't fool me one bit..especially with rhetoric and nothing else.

The unions had grown to big for there boots but to claim that the situation would have made us a third world country is a little overboard.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I have always been Conservative and that is simply because, they are the lesser of two evils.

People go on about the late 70's/80's, nobody mentions the absolute shower Labour government prior to this who caused pretty much all of the mess that we had to endure during the 80s.

Labour will not win a majority, a vote for Labour this time is a vote for an SNP dictatorship. 4% of the electorate in Scotland would rule over 85% of the electorate that resides within England, how is that fairness and equality that many seem to harper about when voting for Labour, who have not stood for either since 1950s.

The SNP would go on a 180 billion spending spree backed by English wage slaves. Full fiscal autonomy for Scotland would mean Labour would be backed in to a corner, as Scottish MPs vote on English tax hikes and English ONLY matters, just as they voted to the uni fees in England, but not in Scotland. Without a shadow of a doubt, this would lead to some serious consequences and possibly the balkanisation of the UK.

That's without the fact that Labour last time around, absolutely wrecked the place, to which we may never recover. I know once lovely areas, turned to an absolute slum as the effects of Labour's policies now start to take hold further and further from the concrete slums of inner cities.

I can understand others wanting to vote UKIP, it might seem like a good choice but you are effectively giving seats to Labour. Green Party....that's worse than the SNP! I think people are not understanding the gravity of the situation, if we wake up tomorrow and Labour/SNP is the only option to form a government, you think life is bad now, you haven't seen anything...

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretFace

I think it's time that we stopped making decisions on historical evidence, something I would never usually agree with myself.

If you vote labour because thatcher sold off our national industries then thats fine but is it relavant today?

On the same basis I see many people voting conservative because Blair put us back into Iraq and brown spent too much money.

One thing history can show is that it repeats it'self and we have a very short term memory, around 8 years on average before were all voting for the guys we voted in a decade ago and then decided were rubbish.

People say that Cameron is an idiot, Brown was an Idiot, Blair was a liar,Major was boring and an idiot, thatcher destroyed Britian ect.

Based on this why do we keep conducting the same experiment and expecting different results.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Very true, but Millipede hasn't said anything at all that A) I believe B) Makes financial sense C) Is practical

Everything he has said has been the usual rhetoric that we all fell for with that salesman Blair and his ugly wife who made an absolute fortune representing foreign nationals on "Human rights" court cases. What we ended up with is a nation not too dissimilar to how I imagined Cromwell run the country. Freedom of speech was smashed, being English was outlawed, bureaucracy was rife, the public sector was overinflated with number crunchers and odd Quangos, criminals seemed to have unbelievably more rights than the victim, taxation was threw the roof and the list goes on and on...They only left office in 2010 and my memory is not that short.

Millipede is giving the same talk of fairness for British families, NHS, education etc etc, how can he say fairness when for his party to get in, they will have to form a government with the SNP? His weak government will be held to ransom and boxed in by the Scottish nationalists. Everything he says will only happen if the Scottish feel that is benefits them, how is that fair? And that is me actually believing that he wants to implement this stuff, which I don't believe he does and even if he does, such ideas as taxing the rich and big business and banks, all good, the reality is that we get the charges past on to us. As for the rich, look at France, they all f***ed off! The entire system is rigged that way. Like I said previously, for me its the lesser of two evils.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
@OP How can you vote for the party that destroyed the mines and the Northern communities? A vote for the Tories is a vote to raid the middle-class to enrich the 0.1%. Labour are asshats, but vote for the Tories? Unthinkable. You are asking to be shafted. They don't represent the middle-classes and never have. Tories are only good for the working-person in an expanding economy.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScreenBogey
@OP How can you vote for the party that destroyed the mines and the Northern communities? A vote for the Tories is a vote to raid the middle-class to enrich the 0.1%. Labour are asshats, but vote for the Tories? Unthinkable. You are asking to be shafted. They don't represent the middle-classes and never have. Tories are only good for the working-person in an expanding economy.

Given that I was born and raised in the aftermath of the miners strikes and then closure of them resulting in mass unemployment in crease in crime ect it's a perfectly valid question.

I have my reasons as stated, the unions were just as instrumental in the destruction of the mining indusrty as the thatcher goverment.

The Labour party is no longer what it should be and will not support a referendum on our EU status.

I'm not even explaining why I'm not voting UKIP.

Greens have some good ideas at heart, our local candidate lives just down the road and sings in a folk band, wears long flowy dresses, lovely lady but not someone I would want fighting for my rights in any effective manner and they only look at getting about 3 percent of the votes.

Another reason has a little logic to it although a little off the wall.

Of all of the leaders looking to become Prime Minister only one of them has any actual experience in running a nation.

After 4 years I would like to think he's got a basic understanding of what to do, the others just think they would be good at it.

It's like Football, when we need a new England manager when do we ever give the job to someone who has never managed a football team in there life but like to think they would be really really good at it?

Ideally it would make sense to take a leader of another country who had a proven track record and bring them in on a performance based contract

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

originally posted by: gortex

I need a beer.

Best have two.

Another term from a bunch of millionairre loving, corrupt banker loving, weapons & arms selling toffs? Probably best that you buy a keg and go drown yourself in it

Jesus..... I'm gonna need a brewery.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScreenBogey

Ok, let's clear this up once and for all.

They did not destroy the mines! They were not responsible for what happened to the mining industry, please research this!

Wilson closed more mines than Thatcher, by the 1960s it was becoming financially draining to continue mining operations and then you had cheap imports from China and Eastern Europe.

RESEARCH LABOUR MP BARBARA CASTLE's WHITE PAPER ENTITLED In Place of Strife which was intended to bring some sort of control over the unions. This lead to the Winter of discontent.

WILSON CLOSED MORE MINES IN HIS TWO TERMS THAN THATCHER DID IN HER THREE TERMS.

PLEASE GET THIS IN TO YOUR HEADS!

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Enjoy what they do to our country. They'll run it further down the hole then it already is.

You're entitled to your opinion and vote, but I personally can't stand Cameron. He's a bully and his campaign has been, for want of a better word, bitchy. He's shown no professionalism throughout his campaign. And i'm shocked at the sheer amount of complaining i've heard over the last 4-5 years that people have voted him (them) back in.

Insanity is defined as "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein.

I hope i'm proven wrong.

I'm done with this country. I've been born and raised in England and I can't sand what it has become. I can't see any of the political parties making any difference. Least of all, Tories.
edit on 9-5-2015 by MrConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrConspiracy
Enjoy what they do to our country. They'll run it further down the hole then it already is.

You're entitled to your opinion and vote, but I personally can't stand Cameron. He's a bully and his campaign has been, for want of a better word, bitchy. He's shown no professionalism throughout his campaign. And i'm shocked at the sheer amount of complaining i've heard over the last 4-5 years that people have voted him (them) back in.

Insanity is defined as "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein.

I hope i'm proven wrong.

I'm done with this country. I've been born and raised in England and I can't sand what it has become. I can't see any of the political parties making any difference. Least of all, Tories.

I did not vote for Cameron. You may have missed the point of elections somewhat.

I voted for my local MP as I felt he was the best candidate for my constituancy.

I also favoured the only party with a chance of a chance of leadership that would offer areferendum on our EU status.

Which party did you support that you feel would have been a better choice and how much campaigning did you do for them?

Why did you not come here earlier and make a plea to those that may choose a better way?

Or are you simply just another apethetic complainer that will do nothing and then wine about it when the world is not as you hoped it would be?

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Make a plea? It's not my place. Plus, I couldn't find a decent amount of information to "big up" any party frankly.

Missed the point? You voted the Conservative candidate for your specific constituency. And the Tories got the majority. What else do you want me to understand?

I am a complainer. Correct. Aren't we all? And I/we have every right to complain. Also, my main point was how I've heard nothing but complaints in regards to how this country is run. And they've just gone and given the majority to the same party.

Baffled. Sorry, but baffled.

And no, the world isn't how I hoped it would be. Is it how you hoped it would be? I hope the candidate you voted for makes strides for your area. But the prick in number 10 won't do any good.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Make a plea? It's not my place. Plus, I couldn't find a decent amount of information to "big up" any party frankly.

Missed the point? You voted the Conservative candidate for your specific constituency. And the Tories got the majority. What else do you want me to understand?

I am a complainer. Correct. Aren't we all? And I/we have every right to complain. Also, my main point was how I've heard nothing but complaints in regards to how this country is run. And they've just gone and given the majority to the same party.

And no, the world isn't how I hoped it would be. Is it how you hoped it would be? I hope the candidate you voted for makes strides for your area. But the prick in number 10 won't do any good.

Did you hear any more or less complaints under a labour goverment?

Do you vote lib dem? Or green? Or UKIP?

Do you involve yourself in politics or simply sit to the side and then moan when the world as you say is not how you want it to be?

Not having a go at you but to sit there after doing nothing to even try and make it better and then complain about it will give you exactly what you have, no voice. no choice.

If you had a better bloke in mind you had a good few years to do somthing about promotong his cause and how it would benifit others, about 5 in fact and yet we sw nothing of the sorts.

You have another 4 or 5 years to either make a decision to affect change or sit idly by waiting to bemoan yes another goverment that you dislike but did nothing to change.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

Did you hear any more or less complaints under a labour goverment?

Do you vote lib dem? Or green? Or UKIP?

Do you involve yourself in politics or simply sit to the side and then moan when the world as you say is not how you want it to be?

Not having a go at you but to sit there after doing nothing to even try and make it better and then complain about it will give you exactly what you have, no voice. no choice.

If you had a better bloke in mind you had a good few years to do somthing about promotong his cause and how it would benifit others, about 5 in fact and yet we sw nothing of the sorts.

You have another 4 or 5 years to either make a decision to affect change or sit idly by waiting to bemoan yes another goverment that you dislike but did nothing to change.

Do you like the Tories? Did you vote them in the last election? Or is this a new found support?

What makes you think I did nothing? I voted. I don't feel the need to tell you, but If you must know (as you've asked twice) I voted Labour. UKIP and Green and in hindsight, Lib Dem were wasted votes. Which is a shame really. No vote should feel wasted.

No amount of campaigning or support can fix this country. The only thing that can fix it is a revolution and I'm not 100% convinced that's practical.

Are you happy with this country? Are you happy with how it's run?

Quite frankly, I had every mind not to vote. Waste of time and energy. But my family wanted me to. I pretty much gave them my vote. It meant nothing to me because nothing will change. This country is ruined. And a vote does nothing (how sad is that?)

Edit in regards to "more complaints" : I'm not sure, I've heard complaints constantly. Maybe slightly more because Cameron is a smug bully... ut I'm not a fan of either party (assuming it was a Labour Vs Tory race) or their incompetence.
edit on 9-5-2015 by MrConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

I need a beer.

Best have two.

Another term from a bunch of millionairre loving, corrupt banker loving, weapons & arms selling toffs?

Well no different to Labour then........

Oh, I thought he was writing about New Labour all along!?

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Hey Z , long time no see.
Yep , if the Tories win I have a sister out in Spain ... I may claim asylum.

Good to see you still around mate, I think your plan may be a sound one

a reply to: crazyewok

Well no different to Labour then........

Well, luckily I have the SNP, and the only reason I'm voting them is obviously for independence.

Good plan, although it occurs to me that the SNP actually wants to be entirely depending on the rest of the UK for financing.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

I voted SNP at the last election when I lived in Glasgow

This election has seen a lot of nationalism and with the current political climate, IMO I can see Scotland having another referendum by 2020, and the English will end up with a political party like SNP. There is already a party called the English Democratic Party that's calling for an English Parliament for years, but have not made any strides in the last decade.

I think the UK as a whole should have a referendum, we are either one country with one parliament or four seperate countries with our own parliaments and we all go it alone. I'd be more than happy for Northern Ireland to become part of the Republic of Ireland, more than happy for the Welsh and the Scots to govern themselves and the English govern ourselves!

And for London to govern itself.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join