It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visualizing a Decade of drone Strikes _ An interactive Death map of Obama's Drone Games

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I just found this interactive active layout of drone strikes. It shows how down right ineffective they are in killing real High valued targets. 98% of those killed are civilians or possibles. It seems the real affect is fear. The visual bomb drops after Obama took office shows he's got them working overtime. Why is an Anti-War president running such an aggressive war plan? Especially seeing how civilians and "Possible Hostiles" are 98% of the kills. Anyway I'm glad their are people out there putting the info together in an easy to read way. I'm also glad I don't live in a place where having a possible terrorist on your block can result in hell being rained down on me & my family. Well at least today I'm safe. Who knows what our future holds?

drones.pitchinteractive.com...

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
This drone push is fighting. As for what it is actually fighting for can leave one sick, bitter and twisted. The double tap on building strikes to takes out rescuers is creating a culture where people fear helping others. How drone strikes have been used to target wedding and funerals is clearly a genocidal assault rather than any valid application of law.

When understanding the lengths those have gone to even kick start this war, it is sad. Good job keeping the story alive, how much longer until we make the list?

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Its truly incredible when laid out like that. And not in the wide-eye kid watching superman for the first time incredible.

This makes me wonder how on earth he isn't being blown to bits in the media (for almost 8 years...um, no pun intended), how his own party seems to push his campaign promises under the rug (not much of a surprise with any elected official these days to be honest), and how those on the other side criticize him for being soft on terror (although the graphic may paint a picture supporting that theme, he's not too good at hitting the top dogs with drones but seems to create quite the terrifying second by second life for those in that region)

a reply to: PrivilegedPeasant

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I would say we are doing very very well.

ww2 casualties

World War II was the deadliest military conflict in history in absolute terms of total dead, but not in terms of deaths relative to the world population[citation needed]. Over 60 million people were killed , which was over 3% of the 1939 world population (est. 2 billion).

Text

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Interesting website yes.

Propaganda yes.

What this fails to also demonstrate is that in the 10 year window of drone strikes is the rapid advancement of drone technology used. Additionally the last few years show a decrease in collateral damages.

Basically, it is just another anti-obama website. Please let this bias your political decision making process in time for the war on candidates for the presidency.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley
Interesting website yes.

Propaganda yes.

What this fails to also demonstrate is that in the 10 year window of drone strikes is the rapid advancement of drone technology used. Additionally the last few years show a decrease in collateral damages.

Basically, it is just another anti-obama website. Please let this bias your political decision making process in time for the war on candidates for the presidency.

"W" ordered all the drones and they were delivered on Obama's watch. Those drones have saved American military lives by being the weapon instead of soldiers.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
These last 2 replies leave me wondering if there is any humanity left in our country.
How is this any different from suicide bombers with vest blowing up a bus with a single soldier on it?
(besides the fact one must be willing to die instead of pushing a button and watching a video screen while munching doritos)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
These last 2 replies leave me wondering if there is any humanity left in our country.
How is this any different from suicide bombers with vest blowing up a bus with a single soldier on it?
(besides the fact one must be willing to die instead of pushing a button and watching a video screen while munching doritos)

It is really not any different. You can win it or lose it. It is human history. Bleeding hearts, prayers, love, caring, sharing will not keep you safe. Killing those who would kill you and take your freedoms is what keeps you safe. Sometimes, civilians get caught in the middle and that is sad and a shame but is a necessary evil because the enemy is not going to stop just cause you have "Humanity" in your country.

This country was founded in blood. Lots of it. Those Red stripes in your flag are not a result of "Humanity".
edit on 5-5-2015 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

The movie "Enders Game." Scary *snip* when you think of how close we are getting to being almost completely detached from the damage we cause.

Seriously, with the right equipment, we could completely annihilate any target - city, nation or planet - and it wouldn't feel any different than playing our favourite FPS.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven

It is really not any different. You can win it or lose it. It is human history. Bleeding hearts, prayers, love, caring, sharing will not keep you safe. Killing those who would kill you and take your freedoms is what keeps you safe. Sometimes, civilians get caught in the middle and that is sad and a shame but is a necessary evil because the enemy is not going to stop just cause you have "Humanity" in your country.

This country was founded in blood. Lots of it. Those Red stripes in your flag are not a result of "Humanity".

What war is becoming is not as poetic as it once was.

People really did believe that they had to fight for freedom, once upon a time. People also had a literacy rate of below 5%. The amount of money and effort that goes into convincing us that we are in danger and need protection sort of tells me that being in danger and in need of protection might not be a natural occurrence.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

People really did believe that they had to fight for freedom, once upon a time. People also had a literacy rate of below 5%. The amount of money and effort that goes into convincing us that we are in danger and need protection sort of tells me that being in danger and in need of protection might not be a natural occurrence.

I agree with both your post to this thread. Still though, war is a necessary evil. To many humans wanting things their own way and many wont negotiate or live and let live.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I agree with both your post to this thread. Still though, war is a necessary evil. To many humans wanting things their own way and many wont negotiate or live and let live.

We are those humans as well though. We want our way of life more than they want theirs, I suspect. In many cases we want someone to put up a fight so we can achieve what we need. I will concede that for our way of life to continue, wars must be fought and innocents must die. Just tell the people the truth about it though, ask them if that is what they want...

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Maybe I shouldnt have used my lame sarcasm and instead just have sincerely show my support for drone use.

This is modern warefare folks. No different than when guns were first used, planes, ships and subs, and of course the h-bomb.

The difference is now we can count the casualties with out using the larger numbers. Collateral damage sucks yes. But when your enemy with full intent on killing hides behind skirts and children, the inevitable happens.

Maybe someday we will have weapons that target exvlusively the enemy combatants we can avoid this excess killing. But till then.

And yes, the website is pure propaganda for someones intent or motive.

Take it for what its worth. But it has been a very long time since we went to war and counted losses in the 50k or 100k range. That my friends is a positive accomplishment to date.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   

War was never 'poetic'.

Celebrated and glorified by the so called winners or their apologists (paid btw in one form or another) in order for each ignorant of the facts generation to 'seek glory'.

THere is nothing poetic or noble about war whatsoever.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

Where we differ is I believe all these drone strikes are doing is creating the conditions to recruit more terrorists. People frustrated that family and friends are being killed for no reason have nothing left to lose so they make it their goal to kill Americans. Were I in their shoes I think I would feel the same.

You believe that these people were already enemies of the US and to a degree you are correct. But look at the percentage of actual combatants we are killing with these strikes - 2 or 3 for every 100 innocent victims. I don't find such collateral damage acceptable, period.

We did the same in WW2 but arguably we were facing an enemy that did threaten to destroy and take over the United States. I would argue that is certainly not the case today, we don't face Nazi Germany or Imperial Japan but mostly very simple people in a far flung corner of the world where we have no business being in the first place

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
War was never 'poetic'.
Celebrated and glorified by the so called winners or their apologists (paid btw in one form or another) in order for each ignorant of the facts generation to 'seek glory'.

I disagree.
Wars are fought to protect one's home and country.
Is there nothing in that you find worthy of praise?

Perhaps you are only making reference to modern war but those fought before the American Civil War were very different in that (European wars anyway) they were fought between armies on a limited field of battle and civilians were not targeted. Personal bravery and honor meant something to those men and they fought close enough to see the faces of their opponents, indeed often in hand to hand combat. That appeals to my sense of fairness more than any other form of warfare, quite unlike the depersonalized methods employed today. Technology was not such a decisive factor but instead relied on skill, endurance and bravery.

War in the 20th century should have cured us forever of the desire for it.
It seems the lessons of millions dead have been lost to us.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

a reply to: Xeven

Where we differ is I believe all these drone strikes are doing is creating the conditions to recruit more terrorists. People frustrated that family and friends are being killed for no reason have nothing left to lose so they make it their goal to kill Americans. Were I in their shoes I think I would feel the same.

You believe that these people were already enemies of the US and to a degree you are correct. But look at the percentage of actual combatants we are killing with these strikes - 2 or 3 for every 100 innocent victims. I don't find such collateral damage acceptable, period.

We did the same in WW2 but arguably we were facing an enemy that did threaten to destroy and take over the United States. I would argue that is certainly not the case today, we don't face Nazi Germany or Imperial Japan but mostly very simple people in a far flung corner of the world where we have no business being in the first place

I can agree that we do indeed make additional enemies by killing a child's father, mother, family. They grow up with a grudge. The only way to end it is education must change. We will never have a peaceful society as long as children are taught to hate and kill those who believe or live differently.

In modern civilized societies, people are taught to respect life, that life if important and that hurting others leads to bad ends. Over there they are taught that killing disbelievers will get you to heaven.

They believe in their religion, god and prophet just as faithful and fully as westerners believe in their Holy Bible, God and Jesus. In fact since many of them don't have other distractions like education, TV, books Shopping their religion becomes the center of their lives. Unfortunately there are scriptures in there that when taken in isolation or "spun" by an "extremist" that promote killing as a means to have an afterlife.

As long as that exists, so will "Extremists".

So it seems this war must be fought, where civilians and innocents die as collateral damage until one side loses. So you can either surrender and give up your way of life for theirs or continue to war.

If continue to war is the way forward till their is a winner, we can either go at them with our technology limiting our own deaths or fight them in ways that allow our side to die more often in the battles that incur.

For me that choice is a simple one. We fight smart to preserve our own. The true reason we cannot end this is that people don't want to live with the consequences of winning. That would require a total destruction of their way of life and even more collateral damage.

If people with "big hearts" would just let the war be fought to its fullest and last enemy, no matter how brutal...it would end.

Being soft extends the war. Sadly. Trying to work with them extends the war. They only are agreeable while they are weak then they turn on you again. It must be stomped out entirely.

You defeat them totally and teach their children a different way of life. That is the only way to end the wars. They know this and that is what ISIS is.

Oh and Ultimately we are all fighting over stuff our ancestors caused and the hate seems to have no end, even though each of us were born innocent.

edit on 6-5-2015 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
US has always bombed civilians.
hiroshima nagasaki city full of civilians.
they had defeated Germany.
so all the army’s could attack Japan.
Russias troops to.
so they did Not Need to bomb Japan.
it was Just a Test of the Bombs.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

War was never 'poetic'.

I have been saying that for years. My wife's family glorifies war by calling themselves "living historians" but none have served. They play soldiers by dressing up on the weekends to reenact the glories of war. I find it odd that they refuse to see how war has affected my son and me. The thing that burns me is they act if they were the absolute authority on how war is waged without any formal training. This follows with the civilians elected to direct the military.

If drones can strike the enemy without putting our soldiers in harm's way then do it! I have put too many young soldiers in body bags to worry about enemy civilians causalities. What everyone refuse to realize is that war is ugly and the most horrible thing.
There is nothing morale or humane about it! You do what you need to do to stay safe and alive.

If you want to argue the morality of war then you need to go to church and stop crying about how war is conducted. I will guarantee any poster here on ATS that if you zip a young 18 year old soldier into a body bag your life will forever be changed!

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
US has always bombed civilians.
hiroshima nagasaki city full of civilians.
they had defeated Germany.
so all the army’s could attack Japan.
Russias troops to.
so they did Not Need to bomb Japan.
it was Just a Test of the Bombs.

That is the most ignorant rationalization that I've heard! The US had just fought for Okinawa and lost 20,000 Marines and soldiers. The next step was the Japanese homeland where it was expected to cost the US 150,000 KIA and 500,000 WIA. The Japanese estimates were expected to be as high as 1.5 million people with another 2 million Japanese soldiers remaining in China. Any rational person could see that it was more advantageous to get the Japanese to surrender rather than fight. We used the nuclear bombs to encourage the Japanese to surrender which they did. In doing so, we would probably saved hundreds of thousands of American and millions of Japanese lives. I have intentionally not included any Chinese or Russian soldiers. But for the bombs we might have been fighting until 1950.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join