It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antimatter weaponry. 1,000 times more powerful than nuclear weapons

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: roguetechie

I'll be a dictator's uncle!

Somebody might be getting a craving to grill bulgogi.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: roguetechie
a reply to: mbkennel
MB,
The real question is, if you have a tractor beam why bother with phasers? Why not just build an LRAD/AESA type array of tractor and anti tractor beams.... And a 555 chip... Pulse at a suitably destructive harmonic with different portions of enemy vehicles locked up by different porions of the array....
B

thats called a TR beam.

Tractor/Repulsor Beam: Used by the Andromedans. A different evolution of the standard galactic tractor beam, the T/R beam rapidly alternates bursts of traction and repulsion energy, literally shaking the target apart. Like all Andromedan technology, the Galactic Powers were unable to use or recreate this weapon, even with captured examples. There are two different versions of T/R beams. The heavy version is equipped on Andromedan motherships and bases, while the light version is used on their smaller satellite ships. Both use the same technology and require the same amount of time to arm, but the light version uses less energy and does less damage. A heavy T/R beam may be armed and fired as a light T/R beam, but not vice-versa.

en.memory-alpha.org...

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel
a reply to: stormbringer1701

???

Mesons interact with strong force and have very short lifetimes. They sure as heck interact with matter being the carrier of strong force between nucleons.

Charged mesons have nanosecond lifetimes, and neutral mesons much much shorter still.

pi mesons otherwise know as a T- Factor Meson cannon
the idea was to accelerate them to a speed that causes them to last longer in their reference frame or rather to shorten the distance they have to travel in that lifespan by relativistic contraction. on top of this the exact relativistic firing solution has to take into account all relevant motions and the distance to the target.

Meson Gun

High-tech weapon that creates high energy mesons and directs them at targets. The collision of an electron and a positron creates a pi neutral meson. Mesons have short lives, which can be prolonged to precise duration by accelerating them to relativistic speeds. Range is set by varying the velocity of the mesons.

Mesons can pass through armor and matter without resistance. They do not interact significantly with other particles, and matter is therefore transparent to them. However, in a short time mesons decay into high-energy particles which do interact. If the point of decay is manipulated to occur inside the target ship, the result is high energy explosions and radiation damage. In a meson beam, the mesons travel to their target where they decay and release a large amount of energy.

members.tip.net.au...
edit on 16-5-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Wow, talk about sphincter puckering.... Inadvertently fly into violent thunderstorm, and then find freaking positrons? Thats the physicist version of alien abduction nightmares,

That article is definitely something weird, it normally takes nuclear processes to make positrons and they sure don't stick around for any length of time before annihilation into gammas. To the degree that gammas are the detectable signature of positrons.

as if there is something wrong with known physics,....

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Accelerating and aiming a neutral meson? That's a trick for sure.

I think the plain old positrons should be good enough for government work.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
much much more on Meson guns

orbitalvector.com...

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel

Wow, talk about sphincter puckering.... Inadvertently fly into violent thunderstorm, and then find freaking positrons? Thats the physicist version of alien abduction nightmares,

That article is definitely something weird, it normally takes nuclear processes to make positrons and they sure don't stick around for any length of time before annihilation into gammas. To the degree that gammas are the detectable signature of positrons.

as if there is something wrong with known physics,....
Yeppers but if i read it right they were astonished they were not irradiated to death by it. something wierd was goin on. so yeah your right. it was a bermuda triangle moment for da physicists.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
i have encoutered that how do you steer it problem before. in beamed core antimatter reactors. pretty much no one knew how. but no there are some articles where there is at least a partial answer.

if you can create them moving the direction you want them to go then there is no issue. there are processes that can do this at least with the ghost particle neutral pions. i forget the details. it may have been either aim the reagent streams atthe right direction with convergence angles minimized or it could have been a dynamical casimir effect. or both. it's been too long. but i kinda remember at least some progress on the problem had been acheived.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Well we know frequencies can shatter glass, what about some kind of sonic weapon?

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
sonic weapons might work at short range as a lethal device but it would be hard to isolate yourself from the effects the more powerful the weapons was. also sonic weapons are used to create non lethal riot control effects already. infrasonic weapons are more useful for destructive effects generally but sonic weapon effectiveness as a destructive device would depend on the resonant frequency of the target. like the liver or spleen.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
as for aiming neutral particles for heavy nuclei thats kind of easy you just do all your accelerating and aiming and then add electrons as an afterthought. for neutrons or neutral mesons/pions you might have to rely on the particles magnetic moment or electric moment at the quark level.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
a reply to: BASSPLYR

You must understand that "special beams" just don't do it sir.

As for clues, I was not aware that I was actually looking for them.

Just as a codicil, I am more than aware that you are a very knowledgeable person on the aircraft forums, and I am grateful for your input there.

They most certainly do create it, with an added ingredient. Have done it in the lab before myself - it's just not wise to talk about the details of how it works for obvious reasons (plus they can be made at home by nutters) but Bassplyrs hints certainly tally up with what I've done.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

There was a very interesting keynote address by a guy from Wright-Patterson (I can never remember his name now), many years ago to a number of labs and universities, to the effect of "If you had all the antimatter you wanted, what would you do with it". Apparently he had come up with an interesting, and cheap way, to develop antimatter. It quickly went away shortly there after.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
"If you had all the antimatter you wanted, what would you do with it"..

Make a #ing big spaceship.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Well we know frequencies can shatter glass, what about some kind of sonic weapon?

The Russians had a sonic rifle that we got a sample of, there was a lot of research, a few improvements. There was a big demo, it was shown you could break bones with it, knock people out, off their feet etc sort of like on Firefly.

A general said - "So, I can have a weapon that mounts on a HMMV, costs a half million bucks, and can knock enemy combatants on their asses at 100 yards. But I've already got an M4 that can kill them at a hundred yards or more, for about a half cent a pop, and can be fielded for a few thousand bucks and run by everyone I have now. No thanks"

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

There was a very interesting keynote address by a guy from Wright-Patterson (I can never remember his name now), many years ago to a number of labs and universities, to the effect of "If you had all the antimatter you wanted, what would you do with it". Apparently he had come up with an interesting, and cheap way, to develop antimatter. It quickly went away shortly there after.

His presentation before the "what would you do with a sack full of positrons" tour is still around...here

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Will have to check that out, thanks. I'm not familiar with that one but a prof at my Uni was creating billions of particles for less than a months rent so may well be a similar/the same method. The what would/could you do with it is a very interesting and potentially disturbing question (I honestly don't know much/enough about it and not clever enough to understand it, was just working in the maths/physics labs).

All I know is that is anti-matter factories are disturbingly easy and cheap to set up (someone could buy most equipment from any decent electronics store - we built one in second year Applied Maths with a little help). I'm guessing that considering his claims are valid, have been repeated in hundreds of unis and aren't cosmic woo nonsense science it could be being used for defence/space purposes (hence the quietness). Though a lot of Unis sadly now have to keep a lot of discoveries in the dark until the time is right due to the ongoing proit-based education system where making money is deemed more important than sharing info/pursuing science open-source style.

originally posted by: Bedlam

His presentation before the "what would you do with a sack full of positrons" tour is still around...here

Thanks.

Just remembered, they're already pretty common in US hospitals (PET scanners) for diagnosing and treating cancer.
edit on 17-5-2015 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Its not money why they keep it under wraps.

Its fat little Korean Dictators and Jihad Joes who's wet dreams are to turn the USA into one giant crater.

edit on 17-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Some time after, there was a VERY interesting report from a group of hikers near Dugway Proving Grounds, of a flash of light that they saw, that damaged their film along with some other effects. There have been a number of interesting rumors of people killed because what they were testing was much more effective than they expected.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Some time after, there was a VERY interesting report from a group of hikers near Dugway Proving Grounds, of a flash of light that they saw, that damaged their film along with some other effects. There have been a number of interesting rumors of people killed because what they were testing was much more effective than they expected.

Thought those guys ended up with mild radiation poising too?

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join