It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

​Mysterious 'X-Files' noises captured 22 miles above Earth's surface

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

he first time in 50 years, mysterious 'X-Files' sounds have been recorded from the edge of space. A helium balloon built by a student for a NASA project captured the eerie hisses and whistles 22 miles above the Earth's surface.

The bizarre noises were captured using equipment designed and built by Daniel Bowman, a graduate student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, according to LiveScience.

The instruments recorded atmospheric infrasound – sound waves at frequencies below 20 hertz. Since infrasound is below human hearing range, the noises can only be heard when the recording is sped up.

"It sounds kind of like 'The X-Files,'" Bowman said. He added that the intensity of the sounds came as a shock, stating that he was “surprised by the sheer complexity of the signal.”

Audio of sound

I am currently posting this from my cell phone at work but I wanted to put this out their to get some thoughts on this.

Ill be back to read some comments on my lunch !

ETA: forgot to add the link
Link

Thanks ATS

Kap

edit on 5-5-2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-5-2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Im pretty sure this was already posted. But if its a different one, I think it is still linked to our sun, bombarding earth with solar winds.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I cant help wonder what it sounds like when it is at its natural speed. I would imagine that speeding it up to hear it must distort it to some point or "change" its meaning or what have you.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

Thanks Obama for letting the other illegal aliens in.

pshh now we're being attacked from land and air! just swell

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Well, here's the link, or a link,

rt.com...
Here's the video, sounds like Itchy and Scratchy!

edit on 5-5-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta

he first time in 50 years, mysterious 'X-Files' sounds have been recorded from the edge of space. A helium balloon built by a student for a NASA project captured the eerie hisses and whistles 22 miles above the Earth's surface.

The bizarre noises were captured using equipment designed and built by Daniel Bowman, a graduate student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, according to LiveScience.

The instruments recorded atmospheric infrasound – sound waves at frequencies below 20 hertz. Since infrasound is below human hearing range, the noises can only be heard when the recording is sped up.

"It sounds kind of like 'The X-Files,'" Bowman said. He added that the intensity of the sounds came as a shock, stating that he was “surprised by the sheer complexity of the signal.”

Audio of sound

I am currently posting this from my cell phone at work but I wanted to put this out their to get some thoughts on this.

Ill be back to read some comments on my lunch !

ETA: forgot to add the link
Link

Thanks ATS

Kap

Good article find. The article says that 20hz is too low for humans to hear though, it isn't for some. I live with "The Hum" phenomena and that is at 20hz or lower. I have had my hearing tested to rule out tinitus and the audiologist found I could hear 20hz sound quite well. She was a little shocked. I am near a 'Hum Cluster'. The Canadian government did a study to try to find a the source. They thought it might be am improperly calibrated industrial machine. The company fixed the machine but the "HUM' remained. Parts of the recording in the article sound like what I hear. That might be a partial explanation. I'd like to see if there is a version of that where it is not sped up.Thanks for posting that.

edit on 5-5-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: onehuman
I cant help wonder what it sounds like when it is at its natural speed. I would imagine that speeding it up to hear it must distort it to some point or "change" its meaning or what have you.
It is distorted sped up and sounds much higher in tone than it should.
edit on 5-5-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

Sounds a little like shortwave radio to me.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

No I disagree, this really does sound like aliens.

Oh my god.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Its just all the EM radiation bouncing around in our upper atmosphere.

By the way anyone else get abit disorintated after listening to that?

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
sounds like the high pitch of a plugged up vacuum cleaner

new topics

top topics

join