It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catfish captured on camera climbing cave walls in Ecuador to lick food off the roof

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Well now isnt this freaky...

Here we have an armoured catfish climbing the walls of a cave in Ecuador in a never-before seen search for food.

This apparently is the first time anything like this has been filmed.

Note the near vertical angle of the wall.

This sure is an amazing video.

What do we think ATS?
edit on 5/5/15 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
It must be addicted to Monosodium Glutamate...KFC used to be like that!

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Never before seen............ so they kill the little bugger.....typical.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
that dude is an amateur.
there is a species of goby that swim from lake to stream and then jump out of the water and latch onto the rock. then they climb several hundred feet up the rock, in the waterfall.
at the top is calm, danger free waters where they eat and spawn.
thousands of them do this

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
wow, I've heard of catfish walking to other bodies of water, but not coming down a rock cliff wall. I wonder if this could actually be more like the fish coming down from another part of the cave, and is really just following the water, in the video, the fish never goes up, so is it really climbing, or just following the water.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Talk about your fish out of water story. I'm just glad that sharks can't do this. Things would get very interesting in a hurry.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Where are the Creationist....???? This looks like the first baby steps towards Evolution in the modern era....IMO.

Earth is 2 degress away from a Global Events, Animals have a higher perception of the dangers to come and prepare for it accordingly. Now, I do Not know of a fish who would "know" when to start evolving, but this sure does look like evidence of evolution. Giraffes had to grow longer neck for the food they loved to eat...

The fishes are coming back out of the water...kinda like how the story of evolution was told....hmmmm...everything comes around full circle.....(just want to throw as many conspiracies at this as possible)

Regards,

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Hey look, a walking catfish, lets kill it. There are several species of fish that can walk outside of water. However, I have not heard of them actually climbing a wall, pretty neat trick. I have seen catfish get out of a puddle that is drying up to find more water close by. Interesting stuff, in the dark no less.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This Screams Evolution. May the best suited win!

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It would be 'freaky' if the said catfish didn't have a suction-cup mouth...No one here has heard of or had a "Pleco - Plecostomus" in their personal aquarium?

animal-world.com...
edit on 5-5-2015 by ArchangelOger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
That's a Plecostomus species of cat. They're common fresh-water aquarium scavengers. Also called "sucker-mouthed"
catfish. If they can latch onto a surface, they will. If they are displaced by waterfalls, currents, etc, they'll do this.
It's not climbing, it was probably washed downstream and into the cave, where it's just adhering to the rock.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaAgent
Never before seen............ so they kill the little bugger.....typical.

That could have been a stock photo of that particular species. It doesn't mean that he killed it--let's not make assumptions.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Specialized evolution at its best.

Its amazing how critters adapt to every nook and cranny they live; there could be thousands of variations scattered all over the globe awaiting discovery- I look at every insect that I find and many of them I have never seen before.

edit on 5-5-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

somewhere in the deep, dark recesses of history we all share an ancestor that did just this sort of thing.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Anyone who's ever had a pleco of any species in their aquarium will tell you that the little b@st@rds are murder to catch because they will latch on to the tank and not let go! You can slide them up and down the glass, in and out of water all you want. They just don't let go. And if you do get them to detach into the net, then you have to hope they don't get their typical spiny catfish fins caught in the mesh. If they do, you have a royal PITA on your hands trying to untangle them without breaking the spines.

That being said a bulldog pleco or a bristlenose pleco are still a lovely addition to any mid-size tank. They have plenty of character and charm once they get acclimated. Just drop some summer squash in there or hang some blanched romaine off the side for them and they'll love you forever (seems like they can live that long).

It looks to me like this little guy has a current running down over the cave wall to work with. So long as his gills stay wet, he's like most cats and can tolerate being out of water for a decent amount of time. If there is algae to work those rocks over for, he's going to be game. And it doesn't take much to hook those spiny fins in and use his muscular body to push against the wall to help him "swim" up along the wet rockface with that powerful little suckerface he's got.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

i like the bristlenose.
my fav is the royal pleco out of that genus

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

If I remember right, Royals take some specialized pH. Bristlenose and Bulldog are more adaptable. I live out in the land of liquid rock water, so without a home RO system, I'm mostly stuck with the African species and those species that can adapt to high pH. Royals also get pretty big. I like the 4" size range of the litter guys.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
At no point did I see the fish climbing, only decending. So it is my assumption that it was originally in the body of water causing the waterfall and was washed over the edge.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Cute, the little sucker can sure climb. It reminds me more of a bullhead, they can stay out of water for a long time.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Mugly

If I remember right, Royals take some specialized pH. Bristlenose and Bulldog are more adaptable. I live out in the land of liquid rock water, so without a home RO system, I'm mostly stuck with the African species and those species that can adapt to high pH. Royals also get pretty big. I like the 4" size range of the litter guys.

as long as your water quality is consistent and good there are no special requirements.
you can put them in with with africans or new world.
i always used crushed coral in my tanks to harden the water up a bit.

imawlinn, that fish was not climbing. i cant find a vid of the fish i am talking about.
there is a 1 season documentary on netflix called 'life'. its just like planet earth and with the same narrator but it shows different stuff. anyway, if you have netflix you can go to the freshwater fish episode and its in there.
some sort of goby and he most definitely did climb that rock

top topics

<<   2 >>

join