It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid Design - Dr. Tyson makes some good points...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
It couldn't have been one hundred million years because the bible says the Earth and the universe are only 6,000 odd years old... Right? reply to: jjkenobi

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

Listening to William Craig he would also disagree with some of the suggestions of YEC like Wendy Wright . No doubt the battlefield between our two perspectives is a hard line to breach . I am sure it cant be done with science and religion and so philosophy has to play the bridge between the two imo .Craig mentioned that he was surprised that after studying all of Richard Carrier work that when it came to the debate Carrier did not try and put forth his work in defense of it but went off in a complete different direction .

In that debate Carrier didn't have to defend his misquoting of the scholars he used in his work .Much in the same way that Tyson avoids taking responsibility to defend his philosophical or lack there of to his premises . Good points are only as good as the depth in which you are allowed to bore into them ,philosophically . To ask such a question as to weather a all powerful God could create a rock so big that he couldn't lift it is nonsensical .

Tyson admits that he doesn't know and he cant know which is correct . Points for being honest but to shrug it off into a ism and then not want to wear that label is disingenuous .I can appreciate someone who claims to be a atheist or being agnostic ,but I see some claiming atheist/agnostic ,and that is a sign of none engagement while blathering this or that . Dont you think that Tyson should take a stand ,and where the label that goes with it in pride and dignity ? Once he does that then he may be able to defend it . Until then I think he knows he stands on shaky ground when it comes to the God debate .

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I've always thought the human body was poorly "designed". Take pain for example : Yes, it's needed to alert you to damage being done, but we should be able to shut it off. It can and will cripple you to the point that you can't survive. Damaging one part of the body should not effect the rest to that point. Useless organs are next. Why do we need an appendix? Or tonsils? We are absurdly easy to kill and lack any sort of natural self defense. No claws or suitable teeth to fight with, just a big ol' brain that tells us to pick up a rock or stick to beat'em over the head with. But, I guess it works.

this is why I personally have believed that we as humans were genetically combined with the most versatile, and physically compatible animal on earth, the ape, and DNA from an alien race.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Replace " Id " with evolution....what does the supposed genius have to say now?.... Another epic logical failure by the " sciency "...you guys are just really getting pathetic with your attempts at supposedly " disproving " god.. a reply to: SuperFrog

edit on 5-5-2015 by wyrmboy12 because: N/A

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Ugh,

It irks me when people minimize an infinite number of possibilities, down to two stupid and completely wrong choices.

What's the third option? How about the fourth?

Stupid design, more like stupid premise.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I used to love watching The Universe on History channel, and I quickly became a fan of Neil's, although I'm pretty sure I saw him before that show. Then I saw him talking about Intelligent Design, and he was talking about things that, to him, make no sense. He said it was stupid that our reproductive organs are so close to our butt, or "stinky area" I think he called it.

Well, I was thinking, you are supposed to get to know someone really well before you have sex, especially if its sex in order to have a baby together. So, maybe there is a reason for this? How would he design the body? Sex by shaking hands? Sex with strangers daily? Besides, if people keep clean, there is little reason anyone should have to smell any poo during sex, even oral sex. So I'm not sure what he is complaining about. They are private areas that you don't allow anyone to get close to unless you know and trust them. In certain medical emergencies, however, you may not have time to get to know the doctor or nurse who touches or gets close to the area.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Perfect example of a big brain being nullified by a total ass.
By trying to convince people he knows what he couldn't possibly
know? Or even speaking in terms as if he does? He suceeds in
making himself look like a biased idiot. He's a Godless human being
and everyone should be Godless like him because he's smart.

Tyson and all the Godless people in this Godless thread get an
F in spirituality. Because God can't be realised by the biggest
brain you dodos. See God is realised in the heart. He is
the light of eternal mind.

"Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding,"

Job 38:4
edit on Rpm50515v08201500000053 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I have not yet watched to video.

But I think all of us at one time or another have though on such things. I mean the more you think about it, the farther away you move from intelligent design, and closer you get to stupid design theory. Though I myself right now am somewhere in between, I am at "# happens" theory. Literally our whole existence and whole universe can be boiled down to # happens. But hey! Its all just a matter of your outlook, or lack there off.

Anyways I will be watching the vid, if at the least it will be interesting the guy is a pretty good speaker and has ways of getting his ideas across that others in his field do not.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Carrier???

originally posted by: wyrmboy12
Replace " Id " with evolution....what does the supposed genius have to say now?.... Another epic logical failure by the " sciency "...you guys are just really getting pathetic with your attempts at supposedly " disproving " god.. a reply to: SuperFrog

Seriously?? That is what evolution exactly points, from evolution of cosmos to evolution of human being, no design at all. No creator needed.

originally posted by: GodEmperor
Ugh,

It irks me when people minimize an infinite number of possibilities, down to two stupid and completely wrong choices.

What's the third option? How about the fourth?

Stupid design, more like stupid premise.

Sure, we all like to hear sound theories, but remember here we talk about something we have evidence for (evolution) and something that is purely based on wishful thinking mixed with some folklore tales, so call them both stupid without providing evidence why, kind of silly don't you think?

originally posted by: randyvs

Firstly, apart from bit of unsupported comments, ad-hominem and do I sense bit of rage, you don't offer anything new against possibility of design being stupid. I know, it all boils down to us in gods image, witch would probably mean our creator was not that perfect either, but no where Dr. Tyson thinks everyone should be godless, actually even he does not consider himself being godless.

"Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding,"

You mean realized, right?

On contrary, we all know that god is realized in mind, imagination... brain just pumps some oxygen to your mind to keep it work... this is like biology 101, you know?? People know this stuff very long...

Really, where were bible writers when supposedly god placed foundation of the earth? (like earth is standing on something, rather then being one of billions of billions planets....)

Here we are focusing on his 'creation', witch according to Dr. Tyson is pretty stupid...

edit on 6-5-2015 by SuperFrog because: Putting all answers in one post....

edit on 6-5-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I really enjoyed this lecture, it was in truth more like a stand up routine if I'm honest I laughed a lot at this.

I think he has brought a rational to my way of thinking but feel that his beleif that evidence is all that matters could lead to narrow mindedness.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
I really enjoyed this lecture, it was in truth more like a stand up routine if I'm honest I laughed a lot at this.

I think he has brought a rational to my way of thinking but feel that his beleif that evidence is all that matters could lead to narrow mindedness.

You mean, if he opens his mind, he might see it differently...

Scary part of that is that if you open your mind too much, there is always possibility your brain will fall out...

(yeah, I know, Dr. Minchin had to rename song into 'Take my Wife'
)

On serious note, what else we should focus on if not evidence??

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog

You mean, if he opens his mind, he might see it differently...

Scary part of that is that if you open your mind too much, there is always possibility your brain will fall out...

(yeah, I know, Dr. Minchin had to rename song into 'Take my Wife'
)

On serious note, what else we should focus on if not evidence??

As with all things I prefer to take the middle path.

He discounts conspiracy because of lack of evidence but without speculation and conjecture how whould we know what evidence to look for?

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   

He discounts conspiracy because of lack of evidence but without speculation and conjecture how whould we know what evidence to look for?

There is no middle path, there is no gray area in this...

On contrary to what you think, Dr. Tyson is strongly suggesting to everyone to look for evidence, but he is against replacing all "we don't know" with "god did it". He shows strong evidence that God did not do it, yet you are looking for some middle path witch should show 'wisdom' in your view.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog

There is no middle path, there is no gray area in this...

On contrary to what you think, Dr. Tyson is strongly suggesting to everyone to look for evidence, but he is against replacing all "we don't know" with "god did it". He shows strong evidence that God did not do it, yet you are looking for some middle path witch should show 'wisdom' in your view.

I think you may have misunderstood my comments.

I simply meant that although I find him a very interesting person with a great insight that he is too far on the side of evidence rules for me personally as ore those who go the opposite way.

He makes me think of the "pics or it diddn't happen" brigade

Awsome guy though.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Craig claims the death of children is a good thing.......why would you listen to anything from a 'man' like that?

m.youtube.com...

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
I used to love watching The Universe on History channel, and I quickly became a fan of Neil's, although I'm pretty sure I saw him before that show. Then I saw him talking about Intelligent Design, and he was talking about things that, to him, make no sense. He said it was stupid that our reproductive organs are so close to our butt, or "stinky area" I think he called it.

Well, I was thinking, you are supposed to get to know someone really well before you have sex, especially if its sex in order to have a baby together. So, maybe there is a reason for this? How would he design the body? Sex by shaking hands? Sex with strangers daily? Besides, if people keep clean, there is little reason anyone should have to smell any poo during sex, even oral sex. So I'm not sure what he is complaining about. They are private areas that you don't allow anyone to get close to unless you know and trust them. In certain medical emergencies, however, you may not have time to get to know the doctor or nurse who touches or gets close to the area.

Yes, why did god put the ignition so close to the exhaust?

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
while I'm not a fan of Tyson...I'd agree that as humans...we are not perfectly designed..nor is Earth perfectly designed for human life. Not by far...

The universe doesnt even come close to being perfectly designed...to suit human needs.

All these things are rather self evident.

However, this does not in itself demand that intelligent design was not used for all of this, in fact it implies that something likes it to be this way, as to generate a desired effect.

Stupid to him, is perfectly suited to whomever designed this particular Universe.

Both Creationists and Evolutionists are so off track as to what is going on, it beggars the mind, all of them do not appear to realize many more conclusions can be had than the ones they have been programmed to believe are the options.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

my favorite part of your post - "By trying to convince people he knows what he couldn't possibly
know?"

such irony and you dont even appreciate it.
edit on 6-5-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO
Both Creationists and Evolutionists are so off track as to what is going on, it beggars the mind, all of them do not appear to realize many more conclusions can be had than the ones they have been programmed to believe are the options.

Except the difference between "evolutionists" (ugh... why must people keep using this slur...?) and Creationists is that people who believe the theory of evolution (no more use of the word evolutionists to describe believers in legit science) are willing to admit when they are proven wrong and adjust their worldview to reflect the new information. Creationists don't even leave room in their heads to BE wrong, let alone let themselves fix the inaccuracies.

If you understand science, it shouldn't even NEED to be pointed out that science is most likely wrong on many things, but that doesn't mean it isn't right on things either. Science is just the most complete answer we have with the currently observed evidence. It never claims to be the definitive truth like religion does.
edit on 6-5-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Not to be one to descend to ad hominem slander but examining your 'reasoning' concerning free will and god's temptations, lends me to think that you have not thought this through.

Supposedly the only commandment was, "Oh, and keep away from the apples." This was stated to a couple of rubes who have never had a down day, who never knew what ignorance was because they were so naive. This was said by a god who thoroughly understood them and could predict what they would do, if not immediately within his infinite span.

It was a set up done by the inevitable patriarchal maniac (Dad's must have been literally beating kids since time immemorial) whose only recourse is total and savage rejection by sword swinging angels from the only place these boobs had known. And this was done in co-operation with the ultimate evil (which god allowed to live just for this purpose of temptation) whom god had more than passing knowledge.

How is anybody buying this? You want to tell me that he made it perfect and that our native 'failing' of possessing curiosity, OBVIOUSLY A DESIGN FLAW, is on our heads.
Self-flagellation for you, sir, must be an ongoing enterprise.

You chose the wrong god, at best. You will never please him and you are doomed for eating that candy when you were three and didn't heed your parent who must be honored.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join