It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Those That Condemn Homosexuality I Ask, Where Are Your Tassels!?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: socketdude

Your example is a guy using the standard "It's not normal and icky" argument. How about any actual scientific experiments the good doctor has done to diagnose mental illness? Where are they?

Pretty sure the Chief Psychiatrist of Ghana knows what he's talking about. Besides, look at all the commentators here, they all agree. Homosexuality-agenda-myth is another American conspiracy from the American elite -- for what reason? Depopulation maybe?

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

The gay agenda (which is nothing more than equality) can not make people gay.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: Krazysh0t

There is no cure with mental illness. Hence why you were forced to put cured in quotations.

Because I didn't know what definition of "cured" you were using.

A medical cure is different than a behavioral cure. And I wasn't forced to put it in quotations. If a person has cancer, they can be treated and hopefully "cured" in the sense of the cancer being gone. A manic-depressive can be "cured" in the sense that his or her thoughts are more 'normal' or 'typical' and her functioning is acceptable by medication.

But a person with, say, prolonged grief disorder after losing a loved one....can be "cured" in the sense of addressing her issues with talking to a skilled therapist and identifying the course of her dilemma. (Remember the client is the one who decides it is a dilemma, not the therapist - as opposed to a medical doctor deciding there is a chemical imbalance.)
The Prolonged Grief disorder is known as an "adjustment disorder". Adjustment Disorder is the most common presenting problem among clients seeking help. It is a "neurosis", NOT "insanity." The two are different.

Please don't argue with me on this subject, Krazysh0t, I have a professional background in this exact thing. I know what I'm talking about regarding mental illness and behavioral science. Twenty years background, and an advanced degree in the field. I'm qualified, as much as any person who achieved the same thing. I've been out of that business for 8 years now, and just as with any science, the study of the mind and brain continue to grow.

I keep up with current best-practices as an interested, retired professional, but am not up to speed on every detail of the fields as they progress.

I would say for all purposes related to ATS threads, BuzzyWigs has the credentials to talk about this.

I'm not qualified to talk about it so I never make those calls. But my background is film, film writing and I have published several articles on film. That's my experience.

I can tell you that film is a very spiritual and psychological medium. I think film makers learned this early on, that they can change the world views of people. Why? They aren't experts in psychology, but they do study human nature.

Don't worry BuzzyWigs, others have challenged my experience and education as well.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

Thanks. Film is the other thing I'm passionate about, actually.....the study of humanity, just from a different angle.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I'm not saying you aren't qualified. I just don't see a cure to mental illnesses. To me, "cured" means that it is gone and isn't coming back. That isn't the case for mental illness. You can treat it. You can cope with it. You can get professional help to help you deal with it, but it will NEVER go away. It will be with you the rest of your life.

I have ADD. I don't take medication for it (well doctor prescribed...) because I can deal what it does to my head. I've also learned to embrace it and use it to fuel my creativity and expand my thinking on things, but that doesn't mean I consider myself "cured". I could easily relapse and fall into a depression caused by my ADD (as many people do). It is something that I have to always stay on top of and account for otherwise it could destroy my life. Trust me, my finances are a good example of ADD screwing me up.
edit on 5-5-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I'm not saying you aren't qualified. I just don't see a cure to mental illnesses. To me, "cured" means that it is gone and isn't coming back. That isn't the case for mental illness. You can treat it. You can cope with it. You can get professional help to help you deal with it, but it will NEVER go away. It will be with you the rest of your life.

And that is why homosexuals are confused over whether they are sick or not.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: socketdude

And that is why homosexuals are confused over whether they are sick or not.

You need to prove that it is a mental illness first buddy. You haven't done that.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: socketdude

Your example is a guy using the standard "It's not normal and icky" argument. How about any actual scientific experiments the good doctor has done to diagnose mental illness? Where are they?

Pretty sure the Chief Psychiatrist of Ghana knows what he's talking about. Besides, look at all the commentators here, they all agree. Homosexuality-agenda-myth is another American conspiracy from the American elite -- for what reason? Depopulation maybe?

That's an appeal to authority fallacy. For all we know the chief psychiatrist of Ghana is just a bigot and using his position to push his bigotry. I don't care about a scientist's personal opinions. I care about any scientific experiments and studies they have done.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Then everyone is mentally unwell.
I was very unwell when my brother died and it took years for me to get in a place where I considered myself mentally stable.
I still miss him of course but I am not mentally poorly due to my loss anymore
...just angry at the french lol. (Long story involves) crooked french police and the people who threw him in the canal and over a hundred people watching him drown).

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: WarminIndy

Thanks. Film is the other thing I'm passionate about, actually.....the study of humanity, just from a different angle.

Then you know what I mean, film is indeed a study of humanity.

Why do you think Psycho became a cult classic? Because it challenged everyone's perspective on what a psychotic person looks like.

Whether or not people actively engage themselves in the narrative and what is presented, Psycho did really cause people to think that maybe, just maybe, a killer doesn't have to be a scruffy drifter, he could be your next door neighbor.

And then I don't think people realized themselves that Anthony Perkins was gay and made Norman Bates a little more than just on the effeminate side. He was a cross dresser, ok so he dressed like his mother (but still...).

I remember my first professor in film school, my first class History of Cinematography, he said "film is voyeuristic" and if we are comfortable being voyeuristic, then we are comfortable with every message in film.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Never heard that from any of my gay pals.
Once out they appear very happy and stable.
It is the ones who deny their true selves that will become mentally unwell.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

That MAY actually be true. Every time a new DSM is released they add more and more mental illnesses. It really shows that the field of psychiatry is in its infancy. We suck at treating it. We suck at diagnosing it.

All this should be another thread though.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Oh I agree it is still a new frontier medically.
But we willget there.
Personalised medication will be here pne day and the meds prescribed will be suited to the individual by testing their dna and genes.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I have ADD. I don't take medication for it (well doctor prescribed...) because I can deal what it does to my head. I've also learned to embrace it and use it to fuel my creativity and expand my thinking on things, but that doesn't mean I consider myself "cured". I could easily relapse and fall into a depression caused by my ADD (as many people do). It is something that I have to always stay on top of and account for otherwise it could destroy my life. Trust me, my finances are a good example of ADD screwing me up.

If only more people understood.

That mental ilnesses cannot just be *cured* nore do those who suffer need to give up.

A mental ilness is something a person struggles to fight every single day. Dosn't mean we can't make it better for ourselves by trying to make it better everyday. I struggle with ADD ADHD and it will never go away.

But i can only make it better by adding extra focus to my attention span.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

OK, here is MY diagnosis..which is really funny to me.

Schizotypal

I'm an eccentric loner....

One of the qualifiers in that

Odd beliefs or magical thinking that influences behavior and is inconsistent with subcultural norms (e.g., superstitiousness, belief in clairvoyance, telepathy, or “sixth sense”; in children and adolescents, bizarre fantasies or preoccupations)

If THAT was a qualifier, then half of California and every Cosplayer would be Schizotypal.

I had a first degree relative that was Schizophrenic, my father was. I have had to be very aware my whole life just so I would know if I had developed Schizophrenia. So far it hasn't presented itself, the older I get, the less chance of it presenting itself.

Can I be cured of Schizotypal? Probably I can. Do I want to? No, it is fun being the way I am.

But if someone with Schizotypal had it to the degree of self-harm or harm to others, then absolutely they need to seek help or get it cured.

So what if you don't take medication for ADD, I sure would want Schizophrenics to be on their medication, my father was not on medication so I know how it is.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Okay,
this is a perfect example.
You said

I just don't see a cure to mental illnesses. To me, "cured" means that it is gone and isn't coming back. That isn't the case for mental illness. You can treat it. You can cope with it. You can get professional help to help you deal with it, but it will NEVER go away. It will be with you the rest of your life.

I have ADD.

ADD is a "manageable" chemical, neuroscience-related MEDICAL disorder. Like MS, or Diabetes.

That makes it an Axis 3 Diagnosis: General Medical Condition. That's when meds or surgery or shock treatments, for example get involved.
Some MEDICAL disorders cannot be cured, but some CAN be cured. With medical treatment.

Axis 2 is the "insane" diagnosis. It is a bio-chemical condition that manifests only with behavioral symptoms. It is limited to such things as schizophrenia (and that one can also be considered a general medical condition), conduct disorder, borderline personality disorder, narcissism, etc. PSYCHOPATHOLOGY. There is no cure for those, you are correct.

Axis 1 : Adjustment Disorder is the lady with prolonged grief disorder after her miscarriage or husband's death or whatever who become unable to live a normal life after a long time.
PTSD is a type of Adjustment Disorder, also.

Those can be cured with a combination of treatments involving meds to help stabilize the mood, and talk therapy to sort out the problems, address the situational/circumstantial contributors, and learn to normalize coping skills by practicing.
It's not easy, at all, and many millions of people come to a better place in their lives by only doing part of it. And that's fine, a long as they are not harming anyone and are comfortable with their own lives.

Like a person who learns to walk again after a time of paralysis. Physical therapy rather than medical/intrusive intervention. They might walk with a limp, but be okay with it and not struggle through the further physical work required to gain optimum potential.
edit on 5/5/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Narcissists are the worst. Histrionics are almost as bad.

But what narcissist wants to get treatment?

Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way....

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I am tired of having the homosexual agenda being pushed on me. All I want is for them to not exist. Why can't they do that . I don't hate homosexuals. I just equate them to Hitler and the KKK. Homosexuality is not natural according to the Bible. We all know the Bible is right on everything. Science is what the Bible is all about.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Oh I agree it is still a new frontier medically.
But we willget there.
Personalised medication will be here pne day and the meds prescribed will be suited to the individual by testing their dna and genes.

I work in the pharmaceutical industry for a mid-level manufacturing company. Biotechnology is the way of the future. They are running out of available compounds that we can make (there is only so many ways you can put atoms together to make molecules).

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TsukiLunar

Now that has to be a sarcastic post.
Or your an idiot.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join