It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.4 mag Kokopo, Papua New Guinea

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

A big one...heavy shaking reported..

earthquake.usgs.gov...

twitter.com...

Hazardous #tsunami waves from #PNG earthquake possible within 300 kms of epicentre. No tsunami threat to Australia.

twitter.com...
edit on 4-5-2015 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Honest to god, I'm worried there's something bigger coming for these poor folks over there. They just had a 6.8 a few days ago, this one is only .6 mag bigger. I could have sworn there was already damage from that one, this definitely can't help any.

Here's to hoping this is it for biggies for them this year, but we have no way of really knowing

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: canucks555

Didn't they have a 6.8 a couple days ago?

Edit; thanks!
edit on 4-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I was talking with friends earlier and said that I wouldn't be surprised if there was another large one soon since tectonic plate shifts seems to be a chain reaction.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I hope the coastal indigenous tribes are ok... No way to warn them

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta

They will hopefully sense the danger..

Off topic.
Great name [Czech for Cabbage? lol!)
Best Avatar ever,

On topic..The quake wasn't too shallow, but not deep either. (60+ kilometers)
I think they will be o.k.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Ugh racking my brain but I cannot recall the generalization. Isn't it if there is less than a one magnitude difference there it is a good chance it was not the main but a foreshock?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Azdraik
Ugh racking my brain but I cannot recall the generalization. Isn't it if there is less than a one magnitude difference there it is a good chance it was not the main but a foreshock?

Yes, I believe the rule of thumb is 1 magnitude of difference or less can signal an impending larger earthquake.

We'll simply have to wait & see.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
All these large earthquakes lately.. Makes me feel like something bigger is afoot, maybe the people raving about CERN were right, considering they were just messing around at 6.5 TeV a few days ago.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Yes, I believe the rule of thumb is 1 magnitude of difference or less can signal an impending larger earthquake.

I've been out of it lately, so I didn't see the two big 6.8 and 6.7 quakes near there in the last days- I would have alerted on that activity for sure. They were clearly foreshocks to the 7.4. And with only a .6 mag difference as it stands now, they all still could be foreshocks to a mega slammer.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I don't really follow this stuff, but since its in my neighbourhood. Hasn't NZ been having a bit of shaking as well lately?

Edit because it didn't post : hope all in the area are safe.
edit on 4-5-2015 by feelingconnected because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

All active volcanoes of Papua New Guinea are listed. Papua New Guinea has the most active volcanoes in the South West Pacific. Its most active volcanoes include Manam, Karkar, Lamington, Langila, Ulawun, Rabaul and Bagana volcano.

The volcanoes of Papua New Guinea are found in 2 principal volcanic arcs, the 1000 km long Bismarck Arc stretching WNW-ESE at north of New Guinea and New Britain Island, from the north coast of New Guinea near the border with Indonesia, to Bougainville Island in the east. This arc is a result of the northward subducting Solomon Sea beneath the Bismarck Sea plate.

The second volcanic arc forms the volcanoes on the south-eastern peninsula of New Guinea and is caused by the northward subduction of the Coral Sea.

Source

Life has got to be quite interesting for those who live in or around there: Avoid a tsunami, then climb a mountain. Climb a mountain, but be careful lest it be a volcano. Too scary a place for me, but I've always heard that those who live there are quite spiritual.
edit on 4-5-2015 by aboutface because: link

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican

originally posted by: Nyiah

I've been out of it lately, so I didn't see the two big 6.8 and 6.7 quakes near there in the last days- I would have alerted on that activity for sure. They were clearly foreshocks to the 7.4. And with only a .6 mag difference as it stands now, they all still could be foreshocks to a mega slammer.

I did and I was looking for you all to see if you sent out the warning but I had just ate, figured you all seen them, got sleepy, laid down and passed out for awhile. I was worried about this happening most of the day. I think we should be in charge at the USGS as a collective and not those government fools lol.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Kilauea is also rumbling big time as magma pushes up to new levels there. Caused a collapse today, one side of the lava lake when it overflowed. Don't worry though as it has another Massive Caldera to fill up yet.. If you ever go to Hawaii you have to visit Kilauea for a day, it is something quite massive though you would never understand the true scope of it till your standing at the visitor center on the rim looking out over the huge Caldera. You don't realize your driving up to the Volcano on your way there, not seeing a big tall peak like its big brother beside it. Then you walk to the back of the visitor center to only have your jaw drop lol.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Honest to god, I'm worried there's something bigger coming for these poor folks over there.

No, with CERN fired up our shielding from the sun is down. I would expect another large quake somewhere else, where is a guess but think of where the stress has built up and not popped recently. I know its old but I do think California or the west coast to the north is way way to over due and with this activity releasing everywhere else it is probably next on the list. Especially with the 50 foot Japanese uplift.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

Too scary a place for me, but I've always heard that those who live there are quite spiritual.

That is do to the gasses lol j/k. They just have more respect for the shear power of earth since they live there.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: canucks555

originally posted by: Kapusta

They will hopefully sense the danger..

Off topic.
Great name [Czech for Cabbage? lol!)
Best Avatar ever,

On topic..The quake wasn't too shallow, but not deep either. (60+ kilometers)
I think they will be o.k.

Off topic: yeah Slavic for cabbage lol , ty for the compliments

On topic: I hope your right !!!!!

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: j1x1n
All these large earthquakes lately.. Makes me feel like something bigger is afoot, maybe the people raving about CERN were right, considering they were just messing around at 6.5 TeV a few days ago.

They have surpassed all their previous power levels in the last few days. Look at it like this. They know the sun belts out a lot of this dark energy. They, CERN built and installed a huge sensor on the international space station that looks at the sun and it is directly linked to CERN so they know when this dark energy is earth directed in large quantities, like when a sun spot opens up facing us. Our Magnetosphere blocks most of the dark matter and turns a lot of it into somewhat harmless photons. In order for them to catch a useable amount of this dark matter they weaken our Magnetosphere somehow. Every time CERN fires up our Magnetosphere is pulled in a lot more than normal on the north and south pole shorting it out and in turn making it very weak.

They guesstimate that it takes only one gram to create a 20 megaton nuclear explosion. With our Magnetosphere weakened our planets core probably gets bombarded with 100 pounds of dark matter over days creating many massive nuclear explosions that push out waves of magma to the surface. That creates massive stress on the tectonic plates while popping the cork on many volcanoes. Kilauea for example, always pushes out lava but is now belting it out like a drunken sailor.

This is why we are seeing a lot of tectonic activity at the same time our sun is belting out a lot of energy at earth. Sure that would happen without CERN, but not this bad. Not even close.

(The day after I made that statement here to Phage, the Magnetosphere data was changed so when you look at the Magneto pause it will now, never look like its being weakened at all, even under extreme solar wind pressures yet the other pages and data show it is.) Coincidence, I think not as Phage acted like a child trying to debunk what I said without any science to back up his typical I know all ramblings.
edit on 5-5-2015 by Patriotsrevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Patriotsrevenge

Right, and all the ancient earthquakes in historical records were done by Ancient Greeks, Egyptians, Japanese, etc running their own CERN.

Forgive me if I call pseudo-science bunk for what it is.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Yep that is exactly what I am thinking. Really hope I am wrong but only time will tell.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join