It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How are ATS Moderators chosen?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

The next level as was recently revealed involves an extra large pineapple!

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluemooone2
All the best mods here have an edge to them that does not go unappreciated. It shows and its a very good thing IMO. So beezzer....... you would do well I think !

Being a mod is a serious obligation to the staff, the members, the site.

For me, it'd be too much restraint in order to do my job properly.

And personally, the only restraint I'm familiar with is the coat with the really long arms that they tie in the back when I get to have garden time with the other inmates.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Mired in secrecy that one is.

Its kinda like fight club. First rule of fight club is.....

In all honesty moderators are chosen by ATS Admin and staff based on their commitment to the T&C and our community.

Its alot of fun but also a commitment. A lot of people we've asked have declined or taken on the role for a while and decided it wasn't for them over the years.

Selection is the easy part, the subsequent rituals are well, unsleakble...

-Tenth

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Haven't you heard? ATS is part of the 3 letter agencies, its no coincidence ATS is 3 letters. You mess up and you get sentenced to ATS

Mods get offered a deal they CAN'T refuse.

I kid, Although I imagine the mods did something really bad before being punished into moderating the ATS group.

edit on 48531America/ChicagoMon, 04 May 2015 18:48:55 -0500up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

I heard that the pay sucks but hey you can try and apply for the job

Yes, Yes I been sarcastic, I like you as a member do not become a mod, never, neveeeeeeerrrrr

Just kidding.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Hm. If that's so then I think they got my mailing address wrong. I'm still waiting for my spy tools I was promised...

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Being a moderator on a forum is quite the double edged sword.

While it is fun, in a way, for the ability to see all the conversations and comments that go on behind the scenes, it also takes away your ability to comment in a passionate or subjective way.

Very often people are asked to become mods because the site owner (or moderators) sees in them a balanced person that will do well for the site in accordance with the criteria that said site owner may want to promote.

It is also common for people to accept the role of moderator only to find that they really do not like the inherent big brother idea of being witness whilst at the same time having to remain impartial.

The other side of the coin is the amount of time one must spend on the board. Not everyone can actually spend all their time on a board and as such could never really be considered for the position. There may be exceptions to this though.

All of the above is based on being a moderator in much lesser forums of course. Not here on a huge site with all that that would entail. In essence, being a moderator on a forum can be both a boon and a bust.

edit on 4-5-2015 by Jonjonj because: added a comment

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
The fastest way to not be chosen to be a mod is to ask about mods.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Oh really !! Sir Boromir!!!!!!!

and you're thoughts Sir Patrick Stewart?

*cough*.... *spills coffee*

edit on 4-5-2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

They've been begging me for years!

My resistance continues.

Not really.

I'd be a great mod.....why am I not a mod already?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I don't think the process is that important or how they are chosen.

Its like any political system...its flawed probably and their need doesn't seem at all important.

Plus I have noticed some moderators are very biased and select how they enforce the RULES differently and favorably towards some members.

I dont pay any attention to them whatsoever. Im more interested in the site ATS as a function and a influence on the internet.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: projectbane

Often, the system is flawed and, yes, moderators do have bias. Everyone on ATS does too.

But no action a moderator takes is done without the knowledge of every other moderator and the owners of ATS.

I have a bias, but if I were to action posts contrary to my opinion, I wouldn't be a moderator very long and rightly so, because staff here wouldn't put up with it.

There is a healthy mix among staff and that is what stops any 'lone gun' actions from happening. Those staffers with differing opinions would not let that kind of thing slide. Besides, the owners would be quick to end any crap like that.

So, you don't have to pay any attention to us at all.

OK?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Well said !!!! Masqua !!!!!!!! well said !!

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: interupt42

Hm. If that's so then I think they got my mailing address wrong. I'm still waiting for my spy tools I was promised...

You too?

I'm still waiting for my U-238 lab kit...any day now I'm told...

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That's okay by me..."I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have someone like me as a Moderator"?
(apologies to Groucho)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: masqua
a reply to: projectbane

Often, the system is flawed and, yes, moderators do have bias. Everyone on ATS does too.

But no action a moderator takes is done without the knowledge of every other moderator and the owners of ATS.

I have a bias, but if I were to action posts contrary to my opinion, I wouldn't be a moderator very long and rightly so, because staff here wouldn't put up with it.

There is a healthy mix among staff and that is what stops any 'lone gun' actions from happening. Those staffers with differing opinions would not let that kind of thing slide. Besides, the owners would be quick to end any crap like that.

So, you don't have to pay any attention to us at all.

OK?

Masqua, seriously,...what is the difference between a Moderator and a Super Moderator?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

The bias is not as bad as it used back, back, yeah back, some of those mods are gone too.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I think I would rather remain a lowly member than be a Moderator. Although, I have yet to hear from a Mod, what benefits they are offered by ATS to take up the job.
Surely, there must be some incentives.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

A Super Moderator gets the keys to the executive bathroom, and has shinier jackboots.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Zaphod...
Can you give us a picture of ATS hierarchy?; Chain of Command?
Perhaps an outline of the management structure?
Is there a static number of Moderators and Super Moderators? Who do you report to...or receive direction from?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join