It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman who failed physical exam to become firefighter

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

FFS.. the girl is just a baby, she's got many, many years before she starts to slow down.

And all during that time between now and then, she'll probably get a whole lot fitter. Fitter than you, and most of the other chumps posting here...lol

And her times will get better too.

She'll will be making a real difference in this world during her time in the brigade ( unlike most people who post here
).

The knowledge and abilities she has (the ones that got her through were, had she not had these other skills she would not have), will have been utilized many times and saved many lives in the time it takes her to age and slow down.

Get over it.

edit on 6-5-2015 by BobaFettish because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: BobaFettish

FFS.. the girl is just a baby, she's got many, many years before she starts to slow down.

And all during that time between now and then, she'll probably get a whole lot fitter. Fitter than you, and most of the other chumps posting here...lol

And her times will get better too.

She'll will be making a real difference in this world during her time in the brigade ( unlike most people who post here
).

The knowledge and abilities she has (the ones that got her through were, had she not had these other skills she would not have), will have been utilized many times and saved many lives in the time it takes her to age and slow down.

Get over it.

So what is it, do your times get better or worse as we age? If her time will get better in the future then she should have no problems passing the test.

All the ad-hominems and logical fallacies you spew don't change the fact she failed, is unfit, and was given the job because she has a vagina.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: BobaFettish
Complete crock of bull. What we call people like you here in the states is a siren chaser. Someone who was not able to pass "bare minimum" standards set by the agency. You go and purchase a scanner and keep gas in your truck, this way all you have to do is shout "I'll be back for dinner mom!"....then take off. Training 101 in ANY emergency field always boasts how seconds count. If seconds didn't count then why would all of our dispatch to enroute times be mandated?

Now yes, let me see your daddy's qualifications.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   
My Dad retired from the Fire Dept in 1993 (He passed away last year, RIP Dad)

And I agree with those that said that if a woman cannot match the physical requirements that men do for the job, then they should be automatically disqualified.

Sorry, but that's the way it should be with first responders.

There really is no such thing as full equality in the sexes. Mentally, OR physically. I'm all for treating everyone equal, and I do in my day to day life. However, that being said, there is no way that men and women are equals. There are physical differences and mental/emotional differences. There are exceptions to be sure, but the vast majority are not equal.

Everyone deserves the same OPPORTUNITY, but not the same outcome.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight
A 15lb reduction in weight of equipment.

This is very simple. She did not pass the test, therefore she doesn't have any business being offered the position.

If this is for a "special" position, then the requirements should be made known, as this at its basic form is discrimination against males. The position requires one set of requirements for males and then a lower set for females. Any way you look at it, it is wrong.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   

What tha hell did you just say?

Did you honestly just state that she will "grow" into her position?

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: BobaFettish

Maybe in the US you have to be superman/woman to do the job but when your testing comes in just under the margin here and you have a wealth of experience to back you up or other qualities that make you extremely useful, 30 seconds isn't that big of a deal.

I call BS for something here.

30 seconds IS in fact a big deal.

An extra 30 seconds for the brain without oxygen is a HUGE deal.

30 seconds for the femoral artery loosing blood is a HUGE deal.

30 seconds for a fire to break a line is a HUGE deal.

30 seconds with a fellow firefighter on your back, or dragging out of an engulfed building is a HUGE deal.

edit on 6-5-2015 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

You know I was going to side with her than I thought about it. One of their requirements is to be able to climb stairs in their full gear. Makes sense with breather and gear about 100 lbs. Than they still have to be able to drag a man out of the building if need be. So if someone can't climb the stairs in full gear and would probably need rescuing themselves that's not good. But even if they make it stI'll required on top of 100 lbs to lift fire hose or possibly get someone to safety. Their life depends on the fire and rescue to be able to do that.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

She didn't get in because she has a vagina. She got in because she had other qualifications that obviously trumped other applicants. I'm sure she wasn't the only females going through training and I'm sure that some females didn't make the grade Mentally or Physically.

Not all people who go through training are going to be front line, as specially those with certain technical backgrounds.

They may not even have a front line role in mind for her...!!

Enough with the armchair expertise on how government departments run.

originally posted by: LoverBoy
Complete crock of bull. What we call people like you here in the states is a siren chaser. Someone who was not able to pass "bare minimum" standards set by the agency. You go and purchase a scanner and keep gas in your truck, this way all you have to do is shout "I'll be back for dinner mom!"....then take off. Training 101 in ANY emergency field always boasts how seconds count. If seconds didn't count then why would all of our dispatch to enroute times be mandated?

Now yes, let me see your daddy's qualifications.

Mate, I got nothing to say about that other than your a complete TOOL...!!

Hey, tell you what... Come spend a summer with me Down Under and see for your self what we do for a living.. Maybe then you'd eat your words and shut your mouth.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

This is what happens when you tell your children they can be anything they want to be (or face litigation). All the kids who received trophies for coming in last grew up to think that just because they can't do something doesn't mean you shouldn't give them the opportunity. I mean, it's not like we're talking about anything serious here... only human lives.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
You claim to be in this profession, yet everything you say goes against basic knowledge and training in this profession. I call your bluff. I guess the only thing you really can come back with is "tool". It's a bit late to edit out the bs you tried writing earlier. Not a good start for you here.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: LoverBoy
You claim to be in this profession, yet everything you say goes against basic knowledge and training in this profession. I call your bluff. I guess the only thing you really can come back with is "tool". It's a bit late to edit out the bs you tried writing earlier. Not a good start for you here.

Actually I was editing to put in another insult, but changed my mind because I didn't want to be cruel...

2nd

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Wait.....are you a HOT Shot or a municipal firefighter?

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: macman

Wait.....are you a HOT Shot or a municipal firefighter?

We don't have Hotshots in AU.

I currently work as a Parks and Wildlife Firefighter, before that a Forestry, before that an Aviation FF, as well as being with both the RFS and CFA.

Have never been a Metro FF. Not because I couldn't cut it as Loverboy has suggested, but because Departments in Australia like the MFB and DEFES, only cover a few square Kilometres of the central parts and some of the inner suburbs of our major Cities like Melbourne and Perth.

When I'm not busting my ass doing hard manual labour, burn prep, building or maintenance, most of my current firefighting related work, is on the front line in either CAT 2 or CAT 3 or as a member of RAFT crews.

What you call a municipal firefighter, is subject to interpretation in Au as the CFA and FESA do most of the structural and Wildfire suppression, Road accident rescue, and other types of emergency response in the areas that the MFB/DEFES dose not.

In fact, while working as a Parks and Wildlife Officer in South Australia for DEWNR, I am actually part of the RFS and am in a Brigade that responds to all manner of incidents, both inside and outside the realms of National Parks. Things work a little differently over here.

But the fitness requirements are all generally the same requirements across the board (although the testing varies from department to department and role to role). None of which I believe Loverboy could pass, including the most minimal requirements

I have had a few girls "and some young guys", come through in the past that didn't make the exact times, the departments let them trough anyway, because they had some extra attributes that others didn't have. All of them have turned out to be excellent firefighters and some of them are now Officers.

And as I have said, I have failed my yearly assessments too on the odd occasion. That doesn't mean I should be fired from my job and it doesn't mean that someone with the ability to get better, that has special traits useful to the department shouldn't be hired.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

A 15lb reduction in weight of equipment.

This is very simple. She did not pass the test, therefore she doesn't have any business being offered the position.

If this is for a "special" position, then the requirements should be made known, as this at its basic form is discrimination against males. The position requires one set of requirements for males and then a lower set for females. Any way you look at it, it is wrong.

It may be that she is not destined for a 'special' position but a 'changed' position, that being, fighting the fire from the outside, which firefighting engineers are saying should be the first priority, for many good reasons. Also, she may have dragged the dummy within the required timeframe, but failed in the others - they did not specify where her time lagged. Regardless, if she failed the stair climb with a full load, then they could easily not assign her to that particular team requiring that particular physical requirement.

The message of the testing is clear: keeping a structure’s doors and windows closed until hose lines are ready to be deployed starves the fire of oxygen and keeps it small—a ventilation-limited fire. Conversely, opening windows and doors before hitting the fire with water can make the blaze quickly grow. Venting too soon, or in the wrong spots, can also cause the fire to rapidly spread to other parts of the structure. Venting is still critical, the researchers say, but only after the fire has been hit with water.

Another key finding of the research is that hitting the fire with water from outside the structure for just a few moments prior to entering cools the entire structure dramatically, and increases survivability for victims and firefighters. For decades, Madrzykowski says, the fire service has been taught not to flow water from the outside, fearful it could harm potential victims trapped inside with steam or by pushing smoke and fire in their direction. It’s also widely believed that attacking a fire from the burned side will push the fire into the unburned parts of the structure. The research concludes just the opposite—water cannot push fire, but does dramatically drop the temperature inside. In other words, Madrzykowski says, hitting the fire with water as soon as possible has many advantages.

www.nfpa.org...

So, if appears that firefighters of today is 'doing it all wrong' and new, or rather old firefighting tactics need to be adopted again. New tactics, would be for teams to firefight together, and rescue/drag people out of the home as a team, not individually, but not until after the fire is under control or out, which means the firefighters will not be breaking down doors or windows to rescue you as the first priority - so it appears to me from the firefighting engineers point of view at the link I provided.
edit on 6-5-2015 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Well that is fantastic.

Funny thing..............is that this is a US defined position within the US, entailing US based structure, equipment, practices and so on.

It is great that you do what you do.

But suggesting that 30 seconds is not a big deal it BS.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Until the requirements are changed, then she is basically a vagina on a pedestal for feel good diversity driven hiring numbers.

She did not meet the requirements, like other males that failed. She was passed only because she is now the trophy new hire.

If this is for a "special" position, then that position should have its own requirements that don't include that which are required BY ALL, except this female, to pass.

But, you keep shouting "Hurray" for the woman that was hired basically on consolation. Such a big win for women everywhere for the battle of the sexes. I mean....it is great that standards are lowered to allow certain people to gain employment for a job that they can't pass standards for.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Well that is fantastic.

Funny thing..............is that this is a US defined position within the US, entailing US based structure, equipment, practices and so on.

It is great that you do what you do.

But suggesting that 30 seconds is not a big deal it BS.

Yeah, it is for a US position, based on US structure and practices.

But guess what...

They let her through didn't they...lol

So maybe things aren't so different than you think between international departments, because a few seconds obviously didn't really matter when it came to the crunch here also and I'd also wager it isn't the only time this has happened and it probably happens more often than you think (both for males and females who have a little extra to bring to the table).

Just that people like you and Loverboy and many other people on ATS are looking in from the outside, not seeing all that is going on and don't have any idea in how these decisions are made and what they are based on in regards to this girls other qualities. Politics and gender probably had nothing or very little to do with the decision to hire her.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

From the outside in????

Bud, I work very closely with LE and fire departments.

I also know the BS political nonsense played in crap like this.

This isn't some rolling out of new tactics and new standards. This is a vagina on a pedestal. That is it. It is the same as the dumpy 4' 210 roley female LEO being hired. Can't perform most of the job, but I guess is great at paperwork.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: macman

We really don't know why they deemed her qualified now do we and if they (probably a panel of highly experienced higher ups) think it's good, then it's good. Simple.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join