It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do people actually mean when they talk about "MY COUNTRY"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Just for reference and get a brain set on what a homeland or "my country" is to me .Back in Genesis we have the table of nations . Along with geographical divisions there are language groupings . Remember that God said be fruitful ,multiply and fill the earth .MAn being what he is decides to build a high tower just in case God decided to flood the earth again .So ,God fixes the problem and the many groups wander off with help from the divine council .Later to be considered as members of the pantheon of gods .

Seeing I am Algonquin but am a sub set I share borders with the other original peoples . We fought and bickered over the years but decided to use the natural barriers as borders and have a big get together to party before settling down for the long hard winter .Not many of us pay much attention to the borders anymore but know where they are just in case . I feel sorry for the Pashtuns in Afghanistan and Pakistan being told that they are from a different country just because someone decided to draw a line on a map who was probably never ever there .

I don't allow my mind to think of Canada as a real country but as a sort of fiat one that just happens to be a Corporation .

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

No "Owner" is a bad word. Technically china owns us. all 17 Trillion

When you were a child and lived in in your mom/dads house did you consider it your house? even thought you didn't own a penny of the assets.

think of it like that.

The US is my house.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

Some people actually remember the history of America prior to 9/11. And have great pride for what it was, they don't throw their hands up in the air and cry whine and attack it. Many people can also recognize the good it once stood for and could again after this blot on our history is over.

Fear has ruined your great country. I'm sure it won't last though.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostie

No "Owner" is a bad word. Technically china owns us. all 17 Trillion

When you were a child and lived in in your mom/dads house did you consider it your house? even thought you didn't own a penny of the assets.

think of it like that.

The US is my house.

thats a valid point.

When I was child I never thought of it as my house, it belonged to my parents.

Maybe I'm a bit odd, even when I "owned" my own home I always thought of it as the property of the bank and could be taken from me at anytime.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Im sure social norms differ from US to UK!

We say "come over to my house to play video games"

would you say "Come over to my parents hourse?"
edit on 4-5-2015 by frostie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Why do so many people assume that being critical of the things your government does in your country's name is being unpatriotic or a hater? This country was FOUNDED on criticism of the government. It is the most patriotic thing you can do here. So anyone who thinks that you can't hate the government or what it does and are unpatriotic needs a history lesson.
edit on 4-5-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: frostie

Having respect is not a bad thing, but some use that respect for their country (patriotism) as an excuse to look down on and even hate other countries and people.

link   

originally posted by: frostie

Im sure social norms differ from US to UK!

We say "come over to my house to play video games"

would you say "Come over to my parents hourse?"

Thats an interesting question, I think I would have said do you want to come to "OUR" house and play on the computer if my mum says we are allowed.

As mentioned earlier the term can be used but the belief in ownership can be different.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The USA is a mixed bag of opinions that have differing versions of their own short history .The way it's going ,you might expect a change in the history text books in order to keep up with the propaganda and hypocrisy coming from your overlords .

ETA ..Oh wait ,didn't you guys sign on to common core curriculum . I think they take a floating version of the truth depending which way the wind is blowing .
edit on 4-5-2015 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

The U.S. was this way long before 9/11, the only difference is they're more blatant about it than they used to be. America has been part of every major world conflict in the past hundred or so years, we have never been a harbinger of peace, not even close.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

You spend your childhood being brainwashed/indoctrinated into the culture you find yourself born into. Unfortunately, this involves nationalism.

The psychology behind why people lay claim to things as theirs it a whole different subject.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Whatever that means in context to what I said... By the way, the history textbooks DO need changing. Just lie after lie of American exceptionalism covering up all the good and juicy parts of history that make history fun to learn.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Why do so many people assume that being critical of the things your government does in your country's name is being unpatriotic or a hater? This country was FOUNDED on criticism of the government. It is the most patriotic thing you can do here. So anyone who thinks that you can't hate the government or what it does and are unpatriotic needs a history lesson.

I agree we've been down this road before it won't last forever.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

The U.S. was this way long before 9/11, the only difference is they're more blatant about it than they used to be. America has been part of every major world conflict in the past hundred or so years, we have never been a harbinger of peace, not even close.

So was the English government, the Spanish government, the Portuguese government, The French government hell even the Danish invested a lot of time and money in the bush wars in Africa.

It's just funny how all those people in those countries forget their militaristic past when I have a chance to dump on somebody else's country.
edit on 4-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

America hasn't even been true to its "Isolationsim" creed. Well maybe in the past when Americans referred to Isolationism they meant that the American continents (*ahem*the USA) just sticks to the American continents and Europe sticks to Europe, Africa, and Asia. But these days when isolationists bring it up, they mean that America TRULY recedes into itself, much like China used to be pre-Communist era. Except the US has NEVER been that way. America has ALWAYS been an intruder into its neighbors, dictating "democracy" to anyone who we deemed needing "saving" (*cough*American business interests in foreign lands).

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
A country is a place where people hold common goals and values. It is land that they ascribe their heritage to and intend to defend from people like Mussolini, Hitler and the UN/NWO when they come to take it from their family, friends and neighbors.

Now if you had said the US should be broken in to 4-5 pieces I would agree. Let the West Coast be La La Land of the Liberals or Pacifica and East Coast can be New Atlantis. Texas stays Texas. The South can be its own country called Dixie. The Midwest can be Farmville. This way people can get back to having the countries they want and we can actually get things done. Personally, I think I would move to Dixie (South) or Texas.
edit on 2015/5/4 by Metallicus because: eta / sp

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Not everyone sees the divisional boundary's as hate. World soccer is a small example. We only "own" something/anything for a relatively short span in the realm of time, nothing will last forever, sooner or later someone or something will call my little spec in the country theirs. As there are grains of sand on the beach, there are years and years of time, constantly ticking forward to an end, and a new beginning. So there is no real ownership of anything, just a very short lease....and life is exactly the same....but national pride is not a bad thing, wanting to exterminate someone who has a polar opposite view is......

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

It's because of the BS I recognized in them when I was a kid that caused me to rebel .This whole schooling of regurgitating their crap should leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth but there are plenty that gobble it up .

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

It's because of the BS I recognized in them when I was a kid that caused me to rebel .This whole schooling of regurgitating their crap should leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth but there are plenty that gobble it up .

You and I are in agreement. That state of the nation's history classes is in FAR worse shape than our math and science classes, and we all know how bad those are...

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Agreed. Im not the type to drive around town with my super loud pickup truck with two oversized American flags on the back.

In this day and age I dont see patriotism causing drastic negative effects like earlier in history.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join