It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do People Think They Need A Gun?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

originally posted by: superman2012

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: superman2012

Or women who have little to no chance of protecting themselves when the ex comes busting through the door to "teach her a lesson".

Gee, there's just such a story in the OP's opening two posts.

Right, how many stories are there where the cops intercede before? I wonder what the ratio is, cops helping, to women shooting their ex's? Whatever though, let's keep guns in everyone's hands because of fear.

The only fear I see demonstrated is the one you've got for your fellow law abiding citizens. Me owning or carrying a firearm does not put you at risk in any way, shape, or form.

Would you fire at someone in a mall (if you carry in public) if they were shooting up the place? What if you miss? I have no fear, only amusement that someone feels they need to carry a firearm because they are so afraid.

Depends on the situation. I've used a firearm in war, so I'm confident in both my abilities and intent.

Do you have a fire extinguisher? If so, then obviously you must be afraid of fire, by your logic.

Confident in your abilities, does not equate to being 100% reliable, there is a chance you could miss. Could you live with yourself if you killed a civilian playing vigilante?
No, I do not carry a fire extinguisher around with me because I'm afraid of fires being around town. Do you?

The same thing could happen to a cop. Like I said, it depends on the situation.

I carry a fire extinguisher around in my car. I've used it too--to put out fires. Being prepared for a situation does not make one "living in fear." Methinks you are projecting your own insecurities upon others.

So you don't own a fire extinguisher at all? Not even in your home?

Typical leftist thought process--if something is not 100% reliable, it must be banned.

It sure could! It does depend on the situation. I'm assuming then, that you are prepared for every situation that you could think of then right? Or is it just fires and bad guys that you worry about? I have no insecurities. I go about my life, enjoying it, and with no fear of "what ifs". I feel bad for the people that worry about all the "what ifs".

Lol! So you don't know my reasons, but you are quick to label me? lol...thanks for the laugh.
Preparing for something and being afraid of it are two very different things. I prepare two months salary ahead of time just in case something awful happens. Am I afraid of losing my job? No.

Why are you preparing? Are you preparing for anything else that might have negative consequences on your life? Why or why not? It is fear. If it isn't, why prepare?!??
I'm quite secure in my job. I just got a performance based raise, in fact. I still prepare for what could happen, because it's important to be prepared. I keep at least one month of food stocked up in my modest apartment (Which is really quite easy. Rice and beans goes a long way). I don't fear famine. I keep a wakizashi near my bed just in case some looney tries to break in. I live in one of the lowest crime areas in Tokyo, so I don't fear a break in. Be prepared and being fearful are two very different things. It's called being prudent, and smart. My building has automatic fire extinguishers, but I still keep a hand fire exinguisher just in case. I don't fear fire.

Or are you seriously trying to tell me that you don't prepare for anything?

You still haven't told me WHY you are preparing...all you are doing is adding to the list of things you are preparing against.

link   

originally posted by: macman

Just as soon as you get off yours and your want to control others.

I figured.
Thanks anyways.

link   
In my 42 years I have happened upon a robbery at a 7-11 and what can only be called a gang rape of a young woman.

I did shoot one of the guys robbing the store but only managed to hit his leg (Ruger LCP)he was later apprehended and he turned in the guy that was with him. The rape I simply put a stop to and kept them there at gunpoint until police arrived although I had often wished I had went ahead and shot, however I wasn't really supposed to be carrying in that establishment as the police did inform me, but simply let it go without incident.

I continue to carry because the people can be scum and I would rather have it and not need it than need one and not have it.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sunwolf

I don't carry a gun out of fear.

I don't have a fire extinguisher out of fear.

I don't have alarms for fear.

You really need to educate yourself on what this is about.

Tell me the reasons why instead of looking down from your high horse.

High horse?Coming from a person with a moniker like superman?That kind of high horse?

LOL!!! This is about Avatar names now!?? Seriously, you should not respond anymore, you aren't doing your side any favours in this argument/debate! lol thanks for the laugh though!

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I obviously don't understand why someone would feel the need to protect themselves from something that MAY happen that could have a negative impact on their life, if not because of fear of the event that MIGHT happen.

Again, do you feel the same way about health insurance, car insurance, homeowner's insurance, etc?

Do police officers carry guns out of fear?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
People need a gun for the same reason they need a fire extinguisher. You may never actually have to use it but pity the fool that DOES need it and doesn't have one.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

Maybe, just maybe, it is the person who neither carries a weapon in fear, nor fears walking in public because of a few loonies. Please explain how the second person in your "afraid example" is showing any fear? lol

You undoubtedly pay for some form of insurance.

Does that mean you are afraid of fire, flood, car crashes, health issues, etc?

No, it means you're prepared in case something bad happens.

You see gun owners as fearful people. We are just prepared in case of a worst-case scenario because, as I showed in my original post, those worst-case scenarios happen more often than people think.

I pay for insurance as my mortgage provider requires it. They are fearful that something will happen and want to make sure their asset is insured. Still waiting for your example instead of changing the subject.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Maybe, just maybe, it is the person who neither carries a weapon in fear, nor fears walking in public because of a few loonies. Please explain how the second person in your "afraid example" is showing any fear? lol

You undoubtedly pay for some form of insurance.

Does that mean you are afraid of fire, flood, car crashes, health issues, etc?

No, it means you're prepared in case something bad happens.

You see gun owners as fearful people. We are just prepared in case of a worst-case scenario because, as I showed in my original post, those worst-case scenarios happen more often than people think.

I pay for insurance as my mortgage provider requires it. They are fearful that something will happen and want to make sure their asset is insured. Still waiting for your example instead of changing the subject.

If you're going to brush off every explanation as "changing the subject" just because it disagrees with your preconceived notions, this debate has reached a stalemate.

Unless someone says what you want to hear which is "I carry a gun because I'm afraid of bad people", you're not going to accept the opposing viewpoint.
edit on 5/4/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Sunwolf

I don't carry a gun out of fear.

I don't have a fire extinguisher out of fear.

I don't have alarms for fear.

It is obvious that you project your fears and feelings onto others,so I merely made an assumption that you think you are superman.Duh!

You really need to educate yourself on what this is about.

Tell me the reasons why instead of looking down from your high horse.

High horse?Coming from a person with a moniker like superman?That kind of high horse?

LOL!!! This is about Avatar names now!?? Seriously, you should not respond anymore, you aren't doing your side any favours in this argument/debate! lol thanks for the laugh though!

link   

a reply to: NavyDoc

No, I've just heard the same crap from the same people over and over and over again, and the bottom line is that they project their own failings on others. We "must" be afraid because you can't imagine not being afraid yourself.

Fair enough. Why do you carry then, if not prepared for something to fear? Please tell me your reasons. I obviously don't understand why someone would feel the need to protect themselves from something that MAY happen that could have a negative impact on their life, if not because of fear of the event that MIGHT happen.

I'm not going to fire into a crowd of people at the mall. My first job is to get my kids (assuming they are with me). As has happened in a few mall shootings. Armed CCW people have delayed or stopped the shooter, and saved lives. A guy walking around, unimpeded, is more dangerous than a guy who has to deal with a citizen shooting back. That would be obvious.

Absolutely. Not going to disagree completely that CCW people have delayed or stopped, that would be ignoring facts. What does this have to do besides help my thinking that people carry because they are afraid of events like this happening near them? I can't blame them, that seems to be all that is happening/media reports on these days.

We don't carry for fear. We carry in preparation. Obviously one cannot be prepared for every contingency and still be able to walk around without a 75lb pack on your back. However, like I have a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, and spare tire in my car in case they are needed, I may carry a phone, a pocket knife, a small flashlight, and a handgun on my person because I may need them. A firearm is compact, does not run on batteries, and does not have an expiration date--thus the inconvenience of carrying one is outweighed by the extremity of the situation where one might need one.

Whereas, it's rather impracticable to carry a fire extinguisher on your back in case of fire, it is very practicable to carry a small handgun on your person in case of criminal acts.

It is illogical to suggest that one cannot prepare for one type of contingency unless they prepare for ALL contingencies. That train of thinking makes no sense.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Link

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Or women who have little to no chance of protecting themselves when the ex comes busting through the door to "teach her a lesson".

Right, how many stories are there where the cops intercede before? I wonder what the ratio is, cops helping, to women shooting their ex's? Whatever though, let's keep guns in everyone's hands because of fear.

The only fear I see demonstrated is the one you've got for your fellow law abiding citizens. Me owning or carrying a firearm does not put you at risk in any way, shape, or form.

Would you fire at someone in a mall (if you carry in public) if they were shooting up the place? What if you miss? I have no fear, only amusement that someone feels they need to carry a firearm because they are so afraid.

Depends on the situation. I've used a firearm in war, so I'm confident in both my abilities and intent.

Do you have a fire extinguisher? If so, then obviously you must be afraid of fire, by your logic.

Confident in your abilities, does not equate to being 100% reliable, there is a chance you could miss. Could you live with yourself if you killed a civilian playing vigilante?
No, I do not carry a fire extinguisher around with me because I'm afraid of fires being around town. Do you?

I carry a fire extinguisher around in my car. I've used it too--to put out fires. Being prepared for a situation does not make one "living in fear." Methinks you are projecting your own insecurities upon others.

Typical leftist thought process--if something is not 100% reliable, it must be banned.

It sure could! It does depend on the situation. I'm assuming then, that you are prepared for every situation that you could think of then right? Or is it just fires and bad guys that you worry about? I have no insecurities. I go about my life, enjoying it, and with no fear of "what ifs". I feel bad for the people that worry about all the "what ifs".

Lol! So you don't know my reasons, but you are quick to label me? lol...thanks for the laugh.
Preparing for something and being afraid of it are two very different things. I prepare two months salary ahead of time just in case something awful happens. Am I afraid of losing my job? No.

Why are you preparing? Are you preparing for anything else that might have negative consequences on your life? Why or why not? It is fear. If it isn't, why prepare?!??
I'm quite secure in my job. I just got a performance based raise, in fact. I still prepare for what could happen, because it's important to be prepared. I keep at least one month of food stocked up in my modest apartment (Which is really quite easy. Rice and beans goes a long way). I don't fear famine. I keep a wakizashi near my bed just in case some looney tries to break in. I live in one of the lowest crime areas in Tokyo, so I don't fear a break in. Be prepared and being fearful are two very different things. It's called being prudent, and smart. My building has automatic fire extinguishers, but I still keep a hand fire exinguisher just in case. I don't fear fire.

You still haven't told me WHY you are preparing...all you are doing is adding to the list of things you are preparing against.

So you don't prepare for anything? No fire extinguishers? No retirement savings account? No spare tire in your car? No first aid kit in the kitchen?

If you do prepare, why do you prepare? Out of fear or because you understand the logic that preparation reduces the harm of an unforeseen event?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
If nobody had guns, the criminals would still have guns. It would get worse. Right now, the criminals do not know who has or does not have a gun so many dishonest people do not break in if fear of getting shot. The people without guns are benefiting from criminals not knowing they do not have a gun. They are stupid to try to get rid of guns others own.

I don't call people stupid often. I usually call them misinformed, misconceived, or conditioned too well. But when some people are stupid they are stupid. They should be thanking responsible gun owners for owning guns which keeps them safer.

By the time the police get to your house, you could be dead.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I've told you why, multiple times. I don't fear these things happening, but having measures in place to mitigate the negative effect such an event might have on me is smart, careful planning.

I don't fear losing my job. But what if my company suddenly goes under? I'll have prepared to keep my bills paid for two months in just such an unlikely event.

I don't fear a famine, but I DO I have rice and beans just in case. Not out of fear, but out of prudence.

I don't fear a fire, because I have automatic fire extinguishers in my roof. But I keep a hand fire extinguisher just in case those fail for one reason or another. I don't fear it failing, because the inspectors check it every 3 to 6 months. But it's smart to keep a backup.

You make these assumptions that I constantly live in fear of fire, famine, losing my job, or crime. But I don't. In fact, the thought rarely (if ever) crosses my mind. If that's living in fear, call it what you want. But it's not fear to me.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I obviously don't understand why someone would feel the need to protect themselves from something that MAY happen that could have a negative impact on their life, if not because of fear of the event that MIGHT happen.

Again, do you feel the same way about health insurance, car insurance, homeowner's insurance, etc?

Health insurance is free. Car insurance is law. Homeowners insurance is required with mortgage. Life insurance, only whole life insurance.
No. They carry it because their job puts them in danger. Just as a soldier needs one in war.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
In my 42 years I have happened upon a robbery at a 7-11 and what can only be called a gang rape of a young woman.

I did shoot one of the guys robbing the store but only managed to hit his leg (Ruger LCP)he was later apprehended and he turned in the guy that was with him. The rape I simply put a stop to and kept them there at gunpoint until police arrived although I had often wished I had went ahead and shot, however I wasn't really supposed to be carrying in that establishment as the police did inform me, but simply let it go without incident.

I continue to carry because the people can be scum and I would rather have it and not need it than need one and not have it.

How dare you help a woman being raped and stop a robbery ! According to Superman and others like him you were being a coward and was walking around in fear . You should have Hong Kong Fooied them or just hurled harsh words at them , that would have showed them . (sarcasm off)

Good for you !!!
edit on 4-5-2015 by Stonecutter45 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Proper firearm carrying and training is not so much only how to use one....but mostly never HAVING to.

I would rather have my gun at the end of my arm during an immediate threat...than a cell phone to 911.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Link

Cute attempt, but you didn't actually address what I said because you can't.

I said in my post that some places outlawed carrying a gun in town.

Your claim was "gun laws were more restrictive". Some of the clearly biased sources in that google search are saying the same thing but it's a misnomer.

Just because some towns outlawed carrying a gun does not mean "gun laws were more restrictive."

You can keep playing this game but you'll lose, trust me. The facts always win.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Health insurance is free. Car insurance is law. Homeowners insurance is required with mortgage. Life insurance, only whole life insurance.
No. They carry it because their job puts them in danger. Just as a soldier needs one in war.

So you haven't prepared for anything because other people have either done it for you or mandated it to you? And you think we have issues?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Link

Cute attempt, but you didn't actually address what I said because you can't.

I said in my post that some places outlawed carrying a gun in town.

Your claim was "gun laws were more restrictive". Some of the clearly biased sources in that google search are saying the same thing but it's a misnomer.

Just because some towns outlawed carrying a gun does not mean "gun laws were more restrictive."

You can keep playing this game but you'll lose, trust me. The facts always win.

And as long as you ignore them, you'll always win in your mind.

I can see I'm not going to get through to most on this thread. I also see people not even talking about my original post anymore. Not one person has shown me to be wrong. If you are preparing for something negative, that means in one way or another, you fear that it may happen. If you feel the need to continue, pm me, I'm guessing the majority will just high five each other and say, "we win!", without thinking about anything.

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

Take care.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join