It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do People Think They Need A Gun?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: superman2012

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: superman2012

Or women who have little to no chance of protecting themselves when the ex comes busting through the door to "teach her a lesson".

Gee, there's just such a story in the OP's opening two posts.

Right, how many stories are there where the cops intercede before? I wonder what the ratio is, cops helping, to women shooting their ex's? Whatever though, let's keep guns in everyone's hands because of fear.

The only fear I see demonstrated is the one you've got for your fellow law abiding citizens. Me owning or carrying a firearm does not put you at risk in any way, shape, or form.

Would you fire at someone in a mall (if you carry in public) if they were shooting up the place? What if you miss? I have no fear, only amusement that someone feels they need to carry a firearm because they are so afraid.

Depends on the situation. I've used a firearm in war, so I'm confident in both my abilities and intent.

Do you have a fire extinguisher? If so, then obviously you must be afraid of fire, by your logic.

Confident in your abilities, does not equate to being 100% reliable, there is a chance you could miss. Could you live with yourself if you killed a civilian playing vigilante?
No, I do not carry a fire extinguisher around with me because I'm afraid of fires being around town. Do you?

The same thing could happen to a cop. Like I said, it depends on the situation.

I carry a fire extinguisher around in my car. I've used it too--to put out fires. Being prepared for a situation does not make one "living in fear." Methinks you are projecting your own insecurities upon others.

So you don't own a fire extinguisher at all? Not even in your home?

Typical leftist thought process--if something is not 100% reliable, it must be banned.

It sure could! It does depend on the situation. I'm assuming then, that you are prepared for every situation that you could think of then right? Or is it just fires and bad guys that you worry about? I have no insecurities. I go about my life, enjoying it, and with no fear of "what ifs". I feel bad for the people that worry about all the "what ifs".

Lol! So you don't know my reasons, but you are quick to label me? lol...thanks for the laugh.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

Would you fire at someone in a mall (if you carry in public) if they were shooting up the place? What if you miss? I have no fear, only amusement that someone feels they need to carry a firearm because they are so afraid.

So a person is shooting up the mall and your primary concern is that the person saving the day might miss?

70-80% of shots fired by police officers miss the intended target.

In a perfect world, no one would carry a gun because there would be no bad people. As long as there are bad people, there will be a need for firearms.

Tell me who is more afraid: the person carrying a gun for self-defense or the person with no form of protection that just has to hope the bad people don't want to hurt them?

That is a very valid point. You got an active shooting killing people in a mall and they are worried that an armed citizen might miss. That reminds me of the stoning scene in "Life of Brian."

"Stop that, you'll make it worse."

"Make it worse? How can I make it worse--you're going to stone me! Jehovah! Jehovah!"

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Also, you might be surprised to know that there was more gun restrictions back then, than now. If it was peaceful, that might be a good reason..

Uh yeah, you just proved that you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

The National Firearms Act wasn't introduced until 1934. Up until that point, people could own machineguns, silencers, short barreled firearms, etc. without any sort of registration or permission from the government.

A person could walk into a hardware store, buy a gun, and walk out without any paperwork or background checks involved.

link   
a reply to: seagull

We did seem to do so much better with less.

Back then, people didn't have a lot of anything, so they valued everything. Back then, everyone could claim ownership of something. A tiny shack with, no running water or an inside toilet, was valued by the owner, with even more pride than the owner of the 1000 acre mansion.

People didn't take what was not there's. They took pride in what they "earned". That is why charity was looked at with such distain. That is why there was harmony among neighbors, you shared your gifts and talents and you were rewarded for them. No effort and no gift was insignificant or unappreciated.

Compare that to the stsndards of today. It is not too late for change, but we are the ones that have to make the changes, starting with ourselves.

link   

Or women who have little to no chance of protecting themselves when the ex comes busting through the door to "teach her a lesson".

Right, how many stories are there where the cops intercede before? I wonder what the ratio is, cops helping, to women shooting their ex's? Whatever though, let's keep guns in everyone's hands because of fear.

The only fear I see demonstrated is the one you've got for your fellow law abiding citizens. Me owning or carrying a firearm does not put you at risk in any way, shape, or form.

Depends on the situation. I've used a firearm in war, so I'm confident in both my abilities and intent.

Do you have a fire extinguisher? If so, then obviously you must be afraid of fire, by your logic.

Confident in your abilities, does not equate to being 100% reliable, there is a chance you could miss. Could you live with yourself if you killed a civilian playing vigilante?
No, I do not carry a fire extinguisher around with me because I'm afraid of fires being around town. Do you?

I carry a fire extinguisher around in my car. I've used it too--to put out fires. Being prepared for a situation does not make one "living in fear." Methinks you are projecting your own insecurities upon others.

Typical leftist thought process--if something is not 100% reliable, it must be banned.

It sure could! It does depend on the situation. I'm assuming then, that you are prepared for every situation that you could think of then right? Or is it just fires and bad guys that you worry about? I have no insecurities. I go about my life, enjoying it, and with no fear of "what ifs". I feel bad for the people that worry about all the "what ifs".

Lol! So you don't know my reasons, but you are quick to label me? lol...thanks for the laugh.
Preparing for something and being afraid of it are two very different things. I prepare two months salary ahead of time just in case something awful happens. Am I afraid of losing my job? No.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Also, you might be surprised to know that there was more gun restrictions back then, than now. If it was peaceful, that might be a good reason..

The National Firearms Act wasn't introduced until 1934. Up until that point, people could own machineguns, silencers, short barreled firearms, etc. without any sort of registration or permission from the government.

A person could walk into a hardware store, buy a gun, and walk out without any paperwork or background checks involved.

There were machine guns, silencers, etc in the wild west!?

link   

I don't carry a gun out of fear.

I don't have a fire extinguisher out of fear.

I don't have alarms for fear.

You really need to educate yourself on what this is about.

link   

No, I've just heard the same crap from the same people over and over and over again, and the bottom line is that they project their own failings on others. We "must" be afraid because you can't imagine not being afraid yourself.

Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against unpleasant impulses by denying their existence in themselves, while attributing them to others. For example, a person who is rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude.

I'm not going to fire into a crowd of people at the mall. My first job is to get my kids (assuming they are with me). As has happened in a few mall shootings. Armed CCW people have delayed or stopped the shooter, and saved lives. A guy walking around, unimpeded, is more dangerous than a guy who has to deal with a citizen shooting back. That would be obvious.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

Preparing for something and being afraid of it are two very different things. I prepare two months salary ahead of time just in case something awful happens. Am I afraid of losing my job? No.

Why are you preparing? Are you preparing for anything else that might have negative consequences on your life? Why or why not? It is fear. If it isn't, why prepare?!??

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Several years ago a man was climbing into my daughters bedroom window in the middle of the night. I had my shotgun pointed right as his head as he was almost in her room. I yelled at him to stop but he didn't until he saw the barrel of the gun 12" from from his face. Who knows what would have happened if I hadn't been armed and prepared to defend and protect my family!
We live in a dangerous world and should be prepared for the worst. I would never be able to forgive myself if my daughter had been harmed due to a silly aversion to guns.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman

Tell me the reasons why instead of looking down from your high horse.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Maybe, just maybe, it is the person who neither carries a weapon in fear, nor fears walking in public because of a few loonies. Please explain how the second person in your "afraid example" is showing any fear? lol

You undoubtedly pay for some form of insurance.

Does that mean you are afraid of fire, flood, car crashes, health issues, etc?

No, it means you're prepared in case something bad happens.

You see gun owners as fearful people. We are just prepared in case of a worst-case scenario because, as I showed in my original post, those worst-case scenarios happen more often than people think.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Yes, believe it or not. The infamous "Tommy Gun" was invented in 1919. The BAR in 1917. The Maxim in 1883. All of which could be purchased through the mail (SEARS believe it or not) before 1934.

But, as usual, it seems that your knowledge of firearms comes from the movies.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Even funnier is you, making a statement about YOUR what-ifs are fine to belittle other people's what-ifs.

Honestly, trolling is an art-form for some. You seem to be an artist.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

No, I've just heard the same crap from the same people over and over and over again, and the bottom line is that they project their own failings on others. We "must" be afraid because you can't imagine not being afraid yourself.

Fair enough. Why do you carry then, if not prepared for something to fear? Please tell me your reasons. I obviously don't understand why someone would feel the need to protect themselves from something that MAY happen that could have a negative impact on their life, if not because of fear of the event that MIGHT happen.

I'm not going to fire into a crowd of people at the mall. My first job is to get my kids (assuming they are with me). As has happened in a few mall shootings. Armed CCW people have delayed or stopped the shooter, and saved lives. A guy walking around, unimpeded, is more dangerous than a guy who has to deal with a citizen shooting back. That would be obvious.

Absolutely. Not going to disagree completely that CCW people have delayed or stopped, that would be ignoring facts. What does this have to do besides help my thinking that people carry because they are afraid of events like this happening near them? I can't blame them, that seems to be all that is happening/media reports on these days.

link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

Why are you preparing? Are you preparing for anything else that might have negative consequences on your life? Why or why not? It is fear. If it isn't, why prepare?!??
I'm quite secure in my job. I just got a performance based raise, in fact. I still prepare for what could happen, because it's important to be prepared. I keep at least one month of food stocked up in my modest apartment (Which is really quite easy. Rice and beans goes a long way). I don't fear famine. I keep a wakizashi near my bed just in case some looney tries to break in. I live in one of the lowest crime areas in Tokyo, so I don't fear a break in. Be prepared and being fearful are two very different things. It's called being prudent, and smart. My building has automatic fire extinguishers, but I still keep a hand fire exinguisher just in case. I don't fear fire.

Or are you seriously trying to tell me that you don't prepare for anything?

link   

Just as soon as you get off yours and your want to control others.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

The person you quoted spoke about the prohibition era as well and yes, in the early 20th century, there were machine guns and silencers.

The point about no paperwork or background checks applies to the "wild west" as well. Everyone carried a gun then because they knew that the police couldn't protect them. The only "gun restrictions" were in a few larger cities, people couldn't carry a pistol because folks would get drunk and do stupid things. Ironically, those same cities now issue concealed handgun permits because the facts prove that loosening gun laws does not lead to an increase in crime.

I'd like to see a source that backs up your claim that there were more gun restrictions prior to 1934. Please...
edit on 5/4/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Even funnier is you, making a statement about YOUR what-ifs are fine to belittle other people's what-ifs.

Honestly, trolling is an art-form for some. You seem to be an artist.

My what ifs, are trying to understand your side. Honestly, besides saying things that are running parallel with what I am saying, there has been nothing showing me it isn't about fear. Still waiting for you response...

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Tell me the reasons why instead of looking down from your high horse.

High horse?Coming from a person with a moniker like superman?That kind of high horse?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join