It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do People Think They Need A Gun?

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

Yes, some small numbers you found there.

Still, 4000+ people "lost their freedom" just 4 month in to the year, innocent or guilty, funny how numbers change a picture, isn't it.

Anyway, i am done with this topic and have made my points, everything from now on will just be forward and back forever, have a good one everyone

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
a reply to: SlapMonkey
Just because you use a gun in a wrong way, doesn't mean you were a criminal.

Well, no, actually, it does--if you use a weapon (gun, knife, hammer, car--doesn't matter) in an illegal way that gets someone killed, you are a criminal. That is the context in which I used that word, because that's the proper use for the word. Self-defensive uses, accidental discharge (and even some of those can be criminal), and law-enforcement use weren't counted because, generally, they're not illegal, therefore the gun users aren't criminals.

I'm fail to understand why this is a difficult concept to comprehend.

The only point i have is, handing guns out to the citizens when a big part of those citizens should not own guns cause they are "idiots" is a bad idea, and for the US there is no fix, it will just continue as long as guns are available.

It just sucks to be the victim, no matter the cause, and there are a lot of victims.

Well, for one, the U.S. doesn't "hand out" guns to people, so that's just hyperbole talking right there. Two, there doesn't need to be a "fix" because what you propose is happening is not happening.

As for being a victim: Yes, it sucks, and that's why I do what I can not to be the victim, which includes having a little firearm on my hip, amongst other things.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Sigh...You didn't get anything of what i said, hint (were a).

It must be me, i'm done, you win, again have a good one.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
SNIP

Carrying a gun won't make you safer.
False.You can defend yourself against criminals that are violent and armed and ignore gun laws.
You're more likely to be shot with your own gun.
So criminals should be allowed to shoot you because your unarmed
If you're living in a place so dangerous that you think you need to carry, you should move.
Moving costs money. Not everyone can move when they want. They have jobs that restrict that or ...they can't afford to move.
People who carry guns are just paranoid.
Your opinion is noted.
People who carry guns are compensating for something.
Your opinion is noted
People who carry guns just have a secret desire to kill someone.
More personal opinion.

You know you have violent criminals that are armed and rape/rob people?
How do you defend your self from a armed criminal that is violent and wants to shoot?
Call the police?

LOL

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: LewsTherinThelamon
a reply to: Answer

The reason why the American people are armed, aside from the fact that guns can be used for personal defense and hunting, is to ensure that we have more power than our government.

At least that was the original intent.

Terrorist!

That is terrorist speak! I am reporting you to Big Brother/Marxist Leninist central planning committee.

People more with more power than the government? Crazy.
In Cuba the people are disarmed and managed. Look at how great that country is.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: John_Rodger_Cornman

originally posted by: Answer
SNIP

Carrying a gun won't make you safer.
False.You can defend yourself against criminals that are violent and armed and ignore gun laws.
You're more likely to be shot with your own gun.
So criminals should be allowed to shoot you because your unarmed
If you're living in a place so dangerous that you think you need to carry, you should move.
Moving costs money. Not everyone can move when they want. They have jobs that restrict that or ...they can't afford to move.
People who carry guns are just paranoid.
Your opinion is noted.
People who carry guns are compensating for something.
Your opinion is noted
People who carry guns just have a secret desire to kill someone.
More personal opinion.

How do you defend your self from a armed criminal that is violent and wants to shoot?
Call the police?

LOL

Read more than the bolded lines in my original post and you'll find your answer.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: John_Rodger_Cornman
Call the police?

LOL

That is absolutely correct. Then keep the armed criminal busy, tell him stories, or whatever; for 10 or 15 minutes, until the police arrive.

No, WAIT! Where's my drawing board...

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer Same reason why I have 3 years worth of medical supplies and try to keep a pantry? I have thought of getting a small pistol for protection. I am a liberal, but I support the 2nd amendment, possibly not in the same definition that all have, though.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
In the US?.....It's not about needing a gun. It's as simple as "I like guns, I think they're cool." That's all the reason you need.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Wow, what a liberal. If you don't like guns. Leave them alone. What is your hobby? I am sure someone will dislike that also.
You a drunk or heavy smoker (most anti 2nd amendment people I have met seem to fall into that category) or just a closet communist?

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: daveinats
Wow, what a liberal. If you don't like guns. Leave them alone. What is your hobby? I am sure someone will dislike that also.
You a drunk or heavy smoker (most anti 2nd amendment people I have met seem to fall into that category) or just a closet communist?

Who are you talking to?

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

People more with more power than the government? Crazy. In Cuba the people are disarmed and managed. Look at how great that country is.

Canada and Australia are pretty awesome countries too so one bad apple doesn't prove a point. a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

April 2, 2015: A woman's ex-boyfriend was shot to death after he showed up at her house attempting to attack her and her new boyfriend with a brick, according to Harris County Sheriff's office. The ex-boyfriend showed up to his ex-girlfriend's house in the 11000 block of Canyon Star in northwest Harris County with a brick in hand attempting to attack the new couple early Wednesday morning, according to HCSO. Officers say the woman's new beau had a gun and shot the man to death.

This is one example from the OP. A man armed with a brick shot to death. I'm not saying his is how I feel necessarily but I might listen to argument from someone who points out a man armed with a brick didn't need to be killed on the spot to be dealt with. There is another example on the OP that doesn't indicate whether the person who was shot and killed was armed at all. Some of these could have been resolved in easier less lethal ways. Some not so much, but in a small sample a small number of questionable instances is still worthy of mention.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

We need to protect our families no matter what. Some people want to take that away from us by wanting our rights to own guns taken away.

I'm not trying to single anyone out here. This reply is for everyone and I'm just using this quote. It seems the need to protect a family is the biggest reason people feel the need to carry guns and why would anyone want to "take that away????" I would say ignorance goes both ways sometimes. I don't believe people are all trying to take away guns or the right to own one. They're just proposing a more strict measure of control over ease of purchasing and acquiring guns. Most argue that they would like to have everyone be able to get as many guns as they can and take their chances that most people are good people and we're "ready" when they are bad people. I think the opposite view isn't to eliminate guns but rather to be able to show you are a competent person before being allowed to get a gun and making it harder for bad people to get one. A legitimately law abiding responsible gun owner shouldn't have a problem with that.
This next question is a separate point and I'm not arguing it, I genuinely want to know. If you have a gun and you think everyone should be allowed to have guns then why would you feel it necessary to purchase a "concealed weapons" license or whatever? Wouldn't you want to promote that you have a gun so that no one messes with you?

edit on 5-5-2015 by TheBolt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBolt

April 2, 2015: A woman's ex-boyfriend was shot to death after he showed up at her house attempting to attack her and her new boyfriend with a brick, according to Harris County Sheriff's office. The ex-boyfriend showed up to his ex-girlfriend's house in the 11000 block of Canyon Star in northwest Harris County with a brick in hand attempting to attack the new couple early Wednesday morning, according to HCSO. Officers say the woman's new beau had a gun and shot the man to death.

This is one example from the OP. A man armed with a brick shot to death. I'm not saying his is how I feel necessarily but I might listen to argument from someone who points out a man armed with a brick didn't need to be killed on the spot to be dealt with. There is another example on the OP that doesn't indicate whether the person who was shot and killed was armed at all. Some of these could have been resolved in easier less lethal ways. Some not so much, but in a small sample a small number of questionable instances is still worthy of mention.

One hit from a brick can kill. The man was armed with a deadly weapon.

You can "coulda, woulda, shoulda" all day long but if someone comes at you with a brick, shooting them is completely justified.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBolt

This is the most snobbish form of "holier than thou" self-righteous bs.

Seriously, you don't get to decide how the individual chooses to defend himself. Once a person chooses to initiate aggression against another, that person is voluntarily giving up their rights to the person they are attacking.

Only I get to decide how I will defend myself, and whether I will use lethal force or not. Not you.

Why do people insist on being so controlling of others?

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBolt
I don't believe people are all trying to take away guns or the right to own one. They're just proposing a more strict measure of control over ease of purchasing and acquiring guns.

Gun laws only make life more difficult for law-abiding gun owners, obviously. There are already strict measures of control over the purchase of guns. To claim otherwise shows an ignorance of the process.

Most argue that they would like to have everyone be able to get as many guns as they can and take their chances that most people are good people and we're "ready" when they are bad people.

Oh really? "Most" argue that? Who, exactly, has proposed that everyone including convicted felons and the mentally unstable should be able to buy guns?

I think the opposite view isn't to eliminate guns but rather to be able to show you are a competent person before being allowed to get a gun and making it harder for bad people to get one.

So how do you propose to do that? Bad people don't buy from gun stores because they can't.

This next question is a separate point and I'm not arguing it, I genuinely want to know. If you have a gun and you think everyone should be allowed to have guns then why would you feel it necessary to purchase a "concealed weapons" license or whatever? Wouldn't you want to promote that you have a gun so that no one messes with you?

Open carry is illegal in many states but "concealed carry" is allowed in those same states with a permit. In the states that do allow open carry, most people choose not to carry openly because it can cause a number of issues such as: pantywaist idiots freaking out at the sight of a gun, business owners asking the person carrying to leave, and most people who carry would rather not advertise to the bad people that they have a gun because they might just be the first target in a armed robbery scenario or similar.

ETA: Your line about "promote that you have a gun so that no one messes with you" misses the entire point of concealed carry. The vast VAST majority of legal concealed carriers are more polite when carrying and avoid confrontation at all costs. Carrying a gun isn't an excuse to walk around like an invincible badass and I've never known anyone to behave that way. Nobody "messes" with me when I walk around without a gun so I certainly don't feel the need to openly display one as some sort of deterrent.

edit on 5/5/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBolt

I don't believe people are all trying to take away guns or the right to own one. They're just proposing a more strict measure of control over ease of purchasing and acquiring guns.

Right. We understand that. As many people here have explained, how will adding more laws help? We already have laws.

Wouldn't you want to promote that you have a gun so that no one messes with you?

Why is that necessary?

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

One hit from a brick can kill. The man was armed with a deadly weapon.

You can "coulda, woulda, shoulda" all day long but if someone comes at you with a brick, shooting them is completely justified.

TheBolt has a blackbelt in autism, and could probably stop an attacker wielding a brick, using his mighty judy-chop technique he learned from watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reruns. His backyard katas shaped his body into a lethal, killing machine and his intimidation is +11.

Whoa unto any pleb that is unable to defend himself with such honor, valor, and arrogance.
edit on 5-5-2015 by LewsTherinThelamon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I think having a gun keeps people honest. I have had my door kicked in and 4 men standing over me, so there's that. I love my family members and my neighbors too. I would defend them if only I had a gun. I don't have to hope anymore. I'm a doer not a victim. I don't use it for any sense of power. It's a tool. I don't get a big fat ego from it. It's an end to a means. No protection in this world is out of the question. I do love keeping people honest. Why did people have swords in the dark ages? Same difference.

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join