It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do People Think They Need A Gun?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Answer

The funny thing is, is that there is little difference between an AR and any other semi-auto rifle on the market. People freak because of its appearance and the designation "assault rifle".

Ignorance runs rampant, particularly on the liberal side.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: superman2012

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: superman2012

Or women who have little to no chance of protecting themselves when the ex comes busting through the door to "teach her a lesson".

Gee, there's just such a story in the OP's opening two posts.

Right, how many stories are there where the cops intercede before? I wonder what the ratio is, cops helping, to women shooting their ex's? Whatever though, let's keep guns in everyone's hands because of fear.

Do you have many cases where cops show up to prevent a crime???
They almost always show up after a crime is committed.
Not ragging on cops, it is just how things work.
Cops are not clairvoyant, so they almost always operate in a reactive mode. People call the cops when a crime happens, then the cops come afterward.

If you are not in danger, they may not come at all. I've heard it happen twice round here. Guy calls because ppl have broken into his shop and gets told to call back when the criminals have left.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

originally posted by: DYepes

What kind of bullpup is that in number two?? it almost looks like it may be by FN?

FN FS2000

I got one of those. Stiff trigger. Did you use some silicone lubricant in the mag well to make the mags come out easier?

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: mamabeth

Oh I know you would. I find nothing humorous about it.

We need to protect our families no matter what. Some people want to take that away from us by wanting our rights to own guns taken away.

I have to agree.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Or women who have little to no chance of protecting themselves when the ex comes busting through the door to "teach her a lesson".

Right, how many stories are there where the cops intercede before? I wonder what the ratio is, cops helping, to women shooting their ex's? Whatever though, let's keep guns in everyone's hands because of fear.

So how do you propose we take the illegal weapons from the criminals? I'll wait...

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I have several hand guns, a shot gun, and a rifle. They stay locked in a safe by my bed except when in use. I carry a Smith and Wesson 500 when backpacking. Thats a true 50 calibur magnum. I have discharged it to scare off a bear, and wouldnt hesitate to shoot a bear in its thick skull if it charged.It would blow its damn head right off. I have shot through a dead tree before.Target practice is fun too. I was nervous when a ranger came into my camp and saw it on me. He immediatly told me it was fine I was carrying a pistol, and said just do not conceal it or shoot toward the lake. He said be safe while shooting it and fire toward a mountain. He made me feel at ease.

Adfolf Hitler took away guns. They do that so they can control and kill. Communists and facists want you to give up guns so they can round up groups of people to slaughter. Gangsters want you to give up your guns. Thieves and murders want you to give up guns.

See the numbers of deaths and injuries from guns? Multip[ly that times 10,000, thats what you will see just as soon as a this government takes away guns from law abiding citizens. People who say otherwise, are sarcasatic liars, and are not playing with a full deck of cards. True patriots are law abiding gun owners who defend the Constitution and the bill of rights.
edit on 5-5-2015 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-5-2015 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: DYepes

What kind of bullpup is that in number two?? it almost looks like it may be by FN?

FN FS2000

I got one of those. Stiff trigger. Did you use some silicone lubricant in the mag well to make the mags come out easier?

It was a buddy's rifle and he sold it pretty quickly. He bought it when they were still hard to find and wisely ditched it before the resale value on those started to plummet. I was never interested in them enough to actually pay $2000+ to own it.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

The reason why the American people are armed, aside from the fact that guns can be used for personal defense and hunting, is to ensure that we have more power than our government.

At least that was the original intent.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

I have no fear, only amusement that someone feels they need to carry a firearm because they are so afraid.

I have no fear, only amusement that someone feels they need to get rid of firearms because they are so afraid.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd

So how do you propose we take the illegal weapons from the criminals? I'll wait...

Well they'll have men with GUNS come and take them...err...wait...

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: LewsTherinThelamon

Glad you responded like this...100% agree

All this "you MUST be afraid" superman spreads is so obvious. Trying so hard

There isn't fear for me. Preparation does NOT equal fear. Over-preparation and obsession...THAT equals fear.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
a reply to: SlapMonkey

To you and to those of you who didn't actually click and study the link, the stats ARE broken down and have full details of the incidents and links to news sources covering the incidents.

I agree that the stats doesn't really tell anything other than people die from other peoples use of guns, but it clearly shows a picture of who is using the guns, defender as well as attacker and the situations they were used in.

And that picture is clear, the wrong use of a gun is the dominator.

I clicked the link...they're not broken down very well, and while you imply that I should spend hours of my day researching something that I've been researching for years (gun crimes and the stats), the truth of the matter is that the numbers don't mean much in this situation, other than the fact that they DO support the argument that, obviously, guns are used by criminals to take lives way more than for self-defense. Your numbers indicate that 2.6% of the gun violence this year is attributed to self-defense; 4.3% for accidents; 9.2% for officer-involved shootings (which isn't quantified by being justified or not). So, take that 16% away from the total, and 84% of gun violence is specifically from crime.

Law-abiding citizens with firearms are not the problem, but that's obvious from looking at records as far back as they've been quantified. But still, the numbers are really generic in your link, but I suppose that's probably because it's an ongoing count for the current year and will be broken down further later.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd

We could ask them politely and if they don't respond well, we will increase the sternness in our voices.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

I have no fear, only amusement that someone feels they need to carry a firearm because they are so afraid.

Anyone who claims to have no fear of anything is either lying or ignorant.

I've read through multiple pages of your comments, and I'm thinking that both apply.

Simple answer for your questions of 'why do people prepare:' Responsibility and intelligence. I'm in no way a 'prepper' in any way, but I do carry, and I do work out, and I do participate in self-defence martial arts. None of that is because I'm afraid--I wasn't afraid before I started, and I'm not afraid of a confrontation now. The simple answer in all situations in life is that it's better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it. I intend to never have to fire a single round out of my weapon toward another human being--but good intentions don't a reality make.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Cultural brain-washing along with tiny-penis-syndrome, mostly.

Ya know how I know you didn't read any of the thread?

The women who used guns in those reports had "tiny-penis-syndrome" too, huh?

It's a good point to bring up and I don't need to ask permission, nor get anyone on this boards approval to own firearms.
They have opinions and that's great, they may be the last to post, and that's great. Neither of which mean they are correct.

I've had personal experience in firearms saving my life and that of my family. I've seen it over and over again in the news - firearms are a right, not an opinion, or is it open to public debate.

It's simple, want a gun? Buy one. Don't want a gun? DON'T buy one. Simple.

Many of those I used to have 'discussions' with, were in favor of more Gov't control, alright with abortion, but against killing animals. Those who think they should be ever to do what they want, but not the rest of society. I've come to realize it's the argument they want, to feel superior to another.

They want to demonize the relatively few who misuse firearms to get them taken from all people. These are the same people who don't want to demonize the whole of a religion, for it's relative few....unless it's Christianity.

They can think whatever they like - I've no problem with that. But when they tell me what I should think and what I should do...when many can't seem to follow their own advice, is there I have a problem.

Cry and scream as they may, I'll never give mine up. Nobody has the right to tell me I don't have the right to defend myself and my family. There is no debate, and I will not yield, whatever the opinions of others are.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye

Well, i don't know, isn't it more a show of a problem with the society, than a reason for gun ownership.

Here is the reason why guns for the public is a bad idea, though ironically it is also the reason you have to own one for protection, not that it helps much in most cases.

CLICK ME

GUN VIOLENCE ARCHIVE 2015 TOLL OF GUN VIOLENCE ( So far )
Total Number of Incidents: 15,600
Number of Deaths1: 4,087
Number of Injuries1: 7,542
Number of Children (age 0-11) Killed/Injured1: 201
Number of Teens (age 12-17) Killed/Injured1: 737
Mass Shooting2: 80
Officer Involved Shooting2: 1,431
Home Invasion2: 702
Defensive Use2: 403
Accidental Shooting2: 669

There are over 300,000,000 guns in the US. Those numbers you posted are utterly insignificant. The total number of incidents is .0052% of the guns. Let me repeat that one more time. Of the guns in the US only .0052% are used in ANY 'incident' (defense, police, or otherwise). So what are the other 99.9948% used for? Recreation.

So what are the reasons "guns for the public" are "a bad idea"? because 0.0052% of them may be used in an incident?
edit on 5-5-2015 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
My wife's older parents last year had a violent break in, where a meth-addicted family broke in. The younger "criminal" went into my Wife's dad's room with a hammer, had her dad not had a gun the criminal wouldn't have dropped the hammer. It's really simple, if you're not armed you can't protect yourself if the other person has a weapon. Most people that are anti-gun have zero knowledge of Real Life, or have ever been involved in crazy situations that shouldn't freakin' happen in the first place.

Her dad dropped the gun once he dropped the hammer and the fist fight ensued, the only he reason he didn't shoot on sight was because children were in the house.

If you want to bitch about guns, take them from racist generals that send young men to fight wars they want no part of, and forced to listen to crazy people that want them to kill other people that's never done anything to them, or probably ever would if they weren't in someone else's sovereign land.
edit on 5-5-2015 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

If I were an american the only most important reasons I can think of why I would need a gun is to join a militia and to protect my family and property. The way things are going in the USA at the moment it can turn for the worst tomorrow. If the dollar will collaps or some other...maybe natural disaster will happen people go crazy. At that moment it will feel much safer having a "canon" or two at home.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Just because you use a gun in a wrong way, doesn't mean you were a criminal, there are several of incidents that describe a Law abiding citizen using their gun for wrong means, after the incident you can then call them a criminal.

You are putting all under criminals, but daily there are responsible gun owners using their legally bought gun in a wrong way, murder/murder suicide as well as robberies, so the 84 % is not just criminals, a huge part became criminals.

Btw. i am not sure what it is you are trying to defend, if you look at OP and the amount of stars and flags for posting a few cases where guns were used to defend, contra i post every single incidents including everything in one post, and people see it as an attack or negative thing.

I chose not to pick anything out, and show it all vs OP singling a few to prove a biased point, but the reaction is clear, people don't like the overall picture, they only like the good stories, that incl. you, trying to break it down and show something that in reality is relatively irrelevant.

The only point i have is, handing guns out to the citizens when a big part of those citizens should not own guns cause they are "idiots" is a bad idea, and for the US there is no fix, it will just continue as long as guns are available.

It just sucks to be the victim, no matter the cause, and there are a lot of victims.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The idea is quite simply in theory. To defend against enemies both foreign and domestic. To defend against tyranny.
But in practice, it hasnt quite worked out that way.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join