It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do People Think They Need A Gun?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Guns are amazing, fun, deadly and necessary to anyone who carries them. Just like cellphones, though less deadly to innocent bystanders.

They kill less people than household tools do anually, they are especially great as pointing devices to highlight threatening things & people. They are especially useful to point out those that try to take them.

I don't like your cellphones radiating my brain. Passive radiation from cellphones is far more detrimental than a lawful carrying member of society in a crowd. Texting and driving, texting and pooping, texting and walking.

Go ahead, keep your heads down, I'll keep mine up.

edit on 4-5-2015 by Atlantican because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I need a gun because I am a Target Shooter, this sport is highly competitive and very satisfying. I travel to other clubs and interstate for Nationals and meet some of the nicest people you could meet ( in Australia Pistols are heavily regulated and only upstanding citizens get to keep them ) with similar interests and values as myself.

Target pistols invariably use target loads which are downloaded cartridges with non-ballistic projectiles that are designed to cut a nice hole for scoring onto a target. If you were to be shot by one of these loads I doubt you would critically injured unless you were unlucky enough to be hit in the head or neck.

Gun safety is paramount and I would find it against my natural instinct to even point a gun in the direction of a human let alone pull the trigger, the urge to do something illegal with my hand guns is non existent as getting even one is so hard and keeping them even harder.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It is fun. Did you ever, as a kid, throw rocks at cans to knock them down? Now, think of doing that from 1000 yards.
Once you get hooked on target shooting, you'll see what all the fuss is about.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

I carry a gun because I don't live in fairytale land. There are evil people in this world who don't care about others. They will inflict pain and suffering with no remorse. A majority of people are good and humane, however, there are some that are nothing more than rabid animals. And just like a rabid animal, sometimes all you can do is put them down.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Interesting topic. Long running and passionate. For my $.02 I'll say this. I've had to take human life in war. It is a horrible terrible thing that I wouldn't wish on anyone. I've had to draw a firearm twice in self defense. I've never had to use it. I was terrified even with military training and experience. Adrenaline. Fear. Fight or flight. Outside of that I've been in lots of brawls. Firearms carry a level of absolutism and escalation like none other. Things get real serious and real simple real quick. Lethal force is at hand. Easy lethal force. Someone grabs a bat or a razor? Yeah that amps things up a bit. Someone pulls a gun. Well there it is. Mr. Death just rang his bell. If someone pushes past the "piss yourself" line and the choice comes down to killing someone or having them kill you? It's real. Just remember if that gun gets away from you it's just a tool. It can be used against you just as much as anything else. That's if you don't accidentally plug a family member or an innocent.

Myself I'd rather be explaining myself to the law if it went that way. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six. If I end up in jail then so be it. Been there before too. I'll pay the dues if needs be. Life is a trip friends.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Excellent examples of the need for a gun, and S&F for the thread. All considered, I wonder why anyone believes they don't need a gun!
I personally don't need a gun. But I live in a place where almost nobody has a gun, so I don't worry about getting raped at gunpoint. Though, I still do carry a small blade in my purse.

Do you live in a place where there is no crime? No one bigger and tougher and a better fighter than you? If not you could benefit from having a gun. Lots of rapists don't carry guns, but knives, or rely on brute force. Anyone comes into my house uninvited, threatening me or my kids, I won't worry f I can fight them off or not. They won't be standing long enough for it to matter.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: sparky31
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes i don,t need one cause probably 90-95% of britain don,t own one and the ones that do are farmers.

There is crime in Great Britain, especially in the cities. If people could carry a weapon, that would drop. It always does. A gun isn't needed only of the other guy has one. Someone older, or weaker, can use a gun to fend off a stronger assailant. Or multiple ones.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Carrying a gun won't make you safer.

Carrying a firearm openly is a great aggressor deterrent.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're more likely to be shot with your own gun.
You have a firearm; if the aggressor has to take your firearm and succeeds, you have not been properly trained.
If you're living in a place so dangerous that you think you need to carry, you should move.
I'm not moving away from danger because danger is everywhere; I'm not a coward.
People who carry guns are just paranoid.
You say "paranoid" i say "prepared"
People who carry guns are compensating for something.
My lack of ability to sponge up bullets and survive.
People who carry guns just have a secret desire to kill someone.
Not just anyone, the moronic aggressor who comes at a person with firearm.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Excellent examples of the need for a gun, and S&F for the thread. All considered, I wonder why anyone believes they don't need a gun!
I personally don't need a gun. But I live in a place where almost nobody has a gun, so I don't worry about getting raped at gunpoint. Though, I still do carry a small blade in my purse.

Do you live in a place where there is no crime? No one bigger and tougher and a better fighter than you? If not you could benefit from having a gun. Lots of rapists don't carry guns, but knives, or rely on brute force. Anyone comes into my house uninvited, threatening me or my kids, I won't worry f I can fight them off or not. They won't be standing long enough for it to matter.
When I lived in the United States, I owed firearms.

I live in Japan now, and cannot legally own a gun. That's what I meant by I live in a place without guns. As far as getting raped, I have a sturdy lock on my door, an alarm, some blades, and very kind neighbors who would instantly hear my screaming. (The walls are thin here, I can hear the couple next door laughing pretty frequently.) I'm pretty certain I have a fighting chance against any would-be rapists. Not that many people here would chance physically restraining a westerner.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

You know what DIDN'T make National News??

Dystiny Myers

PLEASE take the time to read every word of this story. As you do, keep in mind, she was only 15.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Vortiki

Carrying a gun won't make you safer??? Tell that to John and Lori Rainwater who I knew and who felt the same way as you...until one day...

Rainwater had no gun.

The victims, John and Lori Rainwater, were a young married couple who lived in and managed an apartment complex in the city of Atascadero, San Luis Obispo County. On February 5, 1987, the day of the murders, the couple had a 15-month-old daughter and a week-old son.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

When I lived in the United States, I owed firearms.

I live in Japan now, and cannot legally own a gun. That's what I meant by I live in a place without guns. As far as getting raped, I have a sturdy lock on my door, an alarm, some blades, and very kind neighbors who would instantly hear my screaming. (The walls are thin here, I can hear the couple next door laughing pretty frequently.) I'm pretty certain I have a fighting chance against any would-be rapists. Not that many people here would chance physically restraining a westerner.

Well, the Japanese do seem to be a more law-abiding people overall, but that doesn't mean there is no crime. Crime can occur outside the home as well. Carrying a gun cold mean life or death, and often has, for some folks. Overall, though, the world isn't a safe place, and never has been, since the Fall of Man. People have attacked and killed one another throughout history. Long before there were guns, there were wars, and criminals. It's not inaccurate to state that women are far safer in a world with guns than in one without. Physically weaker as a whole, and victimized throughout time, we can now carry an equalizer of sorts. Elderly people can defend themselves. Children, if trained, can as well. I recall a case on the news of a young teen or pre-teen girl scaring off would-be home invaders with a rifle. Without it, she would likely be dead.

I don't think I would ever live in a place where I couldn't own a gun. In any urban area, there are criminals. In rural areas, there are other dangers. I love animals, but I am intelligent enough to know that some can be very dangerous to people, and even deadly. Snakes are common most places, and there are coyotes, cougars, bears, etc. as well. Defending against any attack is a basic human right.

If you could own a gun there, would you?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I need a gun as much as they need to drive a car or to freely talk on the Internet about their wrong opinions

I need a gun so that I can defend my home and family from those who would wish to do them harm.

I need a gun for when law enforcement can't or won't enforce the law because of money.

I need a gun for when the people who would want to encourage submitting to others comes around and I will not submit.
I will not falter in my resolve. I will not submit to others because "it's the right thing to do"

Yeah, so was killing someone else because of their funny man in the sky, and so was beating your wife and kids.

To be perfectly cliche, I will give up my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Why does a country feel it needs an army? Isn't that being paranoid? I mean we are perfectly safe wars are a thing of the past with the global economy and internet. If another country tries to invade us we will be saved by the world. Just like Ukraine.

Honestly though why is this even up for debate? It is like taking a wolves teeth out because it might bite you later on. You did not do the animal justice and left it a dependant and defenseless liability that requires constant monitoring for safety.

edit on 4-5-2015 by Acidx because: mispost

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

He was responding to the OP so he agrees with you just FYI.

That story is so sad.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

LOL I love the title in the third article you linked. I chuckled. The title is Gun-Toting Grandma Stops Would-Be Assailant.
edit on 5/4/2015 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Vortiki

" People who carry guns just have a secret desire to kill someone. "

That's a Value Judgment on your part . The Reality is Quite Different .

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

LOL he was answering OP. He is actually agreeing with the OP and you. Reread.

His post is in bad form so it's confusing.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Please post your street address. We'll make sure that every bad guy within 50 miles of you knows that you are unarmed.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I happen to be one of those gun-toting grandmas!

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join