It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do People Think They Need A Gun?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigoism
Yep, rural areas where the norm is multiple guns per household, would be a bloodbath if guns were the issue. Personally I feel like the more populated the area, the more crazy people get. At least that is my observation lol.

edit on Mon, 04 May 2015 17:30:05 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

originally posted by: kaylaluv
It's a damn shame America got so enamored with guns early on, in my opinion -

The reason for that, as I'm sure you know, is that without men with guns there would be no United States of America.

And then the war was over.... We should have gotten over guns from that point on (in my humble opinion).

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv
Riiiiiiiiiiiiight...... and then we would have been recolonized after disarming lol.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Fencing as combat, not sport, is a lot about distance and foot work.

And you have to live long enough to learn some things by experience.

And fencing weapons require using the whole body, so your feet have to be in the right place.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

You've never lived in or don't know anyone who lives in a rural area do you? A gun is a necessary tool of rural life even to this day.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

It's a damn shame America got so enamored with guns early on, in my opinion -

The reason for that, as I'm sure you know, is that without men with guns there would be no United States of America.

And then the war was over.... We should have gotten over guns from that point on (in my humble opinion).

Except that our nation was built on the principles of self-reliance and not trusting one's safety and security to the government.

Also, the founding fathers intended for all citizens to have the choice of arming themselves as a deterrent to tyrannical behavior.

The Revolutionary War was just one of many reasons the 2nd Amendment was written into the Bill of Rights.
edit on 5/4/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Stop making logical sense, in regards to guns, some people may actually learn something.

edit on 4-5-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I'm still wondering why it's anyone's business to try to control the choices I have every right to make.

Sometimes, I want to go out and take all the classes and start learning how to shoot just because so many people squawk so loud about it. Something so many people are so afraid I might start doing must be terribly fun and awfully empowering.

A simple practice activity is to hold a 2 to 5 pound weight out at arms length as motionless as possible. As soon as it is motionless for a little while, relax and do it again.

A .22 caliber pistol is very good for target practice. It is easy to handle, nicer to shoot, and the ammunition is 10x cheaper than the self defense bullets.

Most indoor ranges will let you rent a pistol by the hour or session. You always have to buy the bullets and targets and range time.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
It would be better if we lived in a world where guns were considered unnecessary

However if I was a citizen of the USA ... I would have a gun
For reasons of self defence and protection of ones close to me

If the police carry guns in order to protect the public
Do you feel protected by your public servants ... If Yes then guns are not needed
If No Then the public too has a right to protect itself from those wishing to cause them physical harm ...

I think the push against gun ownership stems from a fear of those in Authority regarding the reason of Right to Bear Arms
Set down by the founding fathers

However I restate
It would be better if we lived in a world where guns were considered unnecessary

But there again I am a citizen of Great Britain without such rights

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

its not that a greater population means people are more violent. any large population will have more "bad guys" in it than compared to a small population.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

i didnt know a war was the only reason to need to defend yourself from violent individuals

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
a reply to: Answer

Thank you for this thread. I get sick and tired of hearing anti gun people saying all of the things you've listed, all the while depending on guys with guns to protect them.

Not here in the UK !!!!

I also like that you've given valid reasons why people should be armed. Guns in the right hands save lives.

I've just choked at the oxymoron. DUH!!!

Here is another reason: If you're out in the woods, they are necessary. I live in the mountains and there are snakes here. I'm not talking garter snakes. I'm talking copperheads and rattle snakes. Also, there are coyotes. They will attack if they think they have an advantage. There are also bears. You can't outrun them and climbing trees won't work. They can climb, too.

Shoot the damn wildlife what gave them the right to live free from human gun wielding idiots.......

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

" Why Do People Think They Need A Gun? "

To Guard Us Against Suspicious People who Question Why we Need a Gun .

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I dont-

There are realities out there that make terrestrial and non terrestrial weapons as effective as wet paper thats been recycled 100 times. Depends how much you trust those realities...religions call it faith or absolute surrender I think .

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

If I remember right he did it three times in one episode. Lol

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

Says the guy who lives in a country with no apex predators (well, I guess the lynx has just returned)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: intrepid

Is private sale between individuals with no paperwork legal in Canada?

Hell no.

ETA: Trailer Park Boys? That's my hometown. No, really.

Mr. Lackey?????

Last time I looked there were 38 states where it's perfectly legal for private sale firearms.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
whew I just finished reading the entire thread Lots of great valid points. Glad the gun grabbers picked up and just left the discussion, they really get old invalidated after awhile. However, for me the most shocking thing about this thread is how many people up until about page 7 did not even read the OP before posting. One poster even thought it was Superman asking the questions in an effort to attack gun rights, based on the content of his reply anyways.

A handful of other assumed you were also attacking gun rights Answer, which is how I knew pepe were posting in masse without reading the OP. I do not really have much more to add, other than I believe firearms training and safety should be a mandatory academic course from K-12 seeing as we do live in America. Then it gets real by middle school when the course involves forcing them to see the images of war, the real death and destruction from bombings and gunshots. It would help to drive out the Hollywood stereotype of a few days in the hospital and you get right back up again without any lasting damage. may also help when people see the reality of war and the glamour.

When they see kids their own age splattered on the side of the road, it WILL have a lasting effect on the psyche as to why war is bad, and why guns are not toys. As of now though, kids laugh about war and joke about killing each other. I hear kids simply jokingly say "I will stab you in the ey if you dont shutup lol!!"

Part of that is being disconnected from the reality of death and mayhem and war and real violence.

God Bless these United States of America.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DYepes

Once you Pull a Legally Concealed Firearm Out of it's Holster , it's a Decision you make
based on a Life and Death FACT . Any other Reason is a Felony Act .

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

originally posted by: Skid Mark

Here is another reason: If you're out in the woods, they are necessary. I live in the mountains and there are snakes here. I'm not talking garter snakes. I'm talking copperheads and rattle snakes. Also, there are coyotes. They will attack if they think they have an advantage. There are also bears. You can't outrun them and climbing trees won't work. They can climb, too.

Shoot the damn wildlife what gave them the right to live free from human gun wielding idiots.......

I live in the country, and out in the middle of nowhere, sans paved roads, and street lights. I have lived in the woods over half my life, so let me educate you a bit.

Animals and people have lived together for thousands of years. Here we get along because I treat them with respect. I give the skittish ones a wide berth, and show them no fear. So far, the only problems I have had is with a poisonous snake, or two or three, that wandered inside to no go line, and young wild boar, that have to be chased back to the back forty to mommy and daddy. I even have a great horned owl so damn huge, the first time I saw him, right after the sun went down, I thought I had seen a vampire. Rang up all my neighbors in a tizzy, just to find out he had moved into the neighborhood and they had not gotten around to sharing that information. I have had no real problems that we haven't been able to work out, but just like a person, when an animal goes rogue, there is no peaceful solution. It is kill or be killed.

The animal does not have to be rabid, but is the usual cause for the sudden aggressive behavior. Some animals like people are just born mean. You don't know how dangerous a mean animal can be until you have had to deal with one, and don't let size or cuteness deceive you. Even a small animal can maim and kill under the right circumstances.

No one loves animals more then me, but most country folk have enough experience and mother wit to know that having a gun around can prove to be a prudent investment, and Bambi or Winnie the Pooh can have laying in hospital or a morgue.

edit on 4-5-2015 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Computer like to eat my posts.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join