It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do People Think They Need A Gun?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Totally agree with you there. No point at all in attempting to ban guns in America. Not gonna happen. Ever.

Just talking theoretically here though, it's better to have a society with no guns than to have a society where everyone has a gun. Surely no one can disagree with that. It's a damn shame America got so enamored with guns early on, in my opinion - too late for us to fix the situation now. All we can do is try to keep the wackos and the weirdos and the retards from getting them.

Because there was no violence in the world before guns were invented?

All a gun does is remove the strength differential so that an 80 year old woman can stand up to a 21 year old man. Absent a change in society, if you could magic all guns and the ability to make them away tomorrow, nothing would change except the physically stronger would better be able to victimize the physically weaker.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

My Grandfather always said that "one doesn't a gun until one needs a gun very much!". Now that being said I believe in a humans right to bear arms. nothing more and nothing less...

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

No there weren't, it was legal to own machine guns and sawed offs.
Suppressors were used on varmints.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: hudsonhawk69

My Grandfather always said that "one doesn't need a gun until one needs a gun very much!". Now that being said I believe in a humans right to bear arms. nothing more and nothing less...

Your grandfather was right.

When confronting evil men, there are two types of people: those who use their gun and those who wish someone with a gun would come save them.
edit on 5/4/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
It's a damn shame America got so enamored with guns early on, in my opinion -

The reason for that, as I'm sure you know, is that without men with guns there would be no United States of America.
edit on 5/4/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: hudsonhawk69

My Grandfather always said that "one doesn't a gun until one needs a gun very much!". Now that being said I believe in a humans right to bear arms. nothing more and nothing less...

It is polite in society to salute a superior.

It's a way of communication. I have a weapon and I show you it in an unthreatening way.

Now we are safe.

If I ever need a weapon... I will have a gun.

That's about it, but even these days I have my mind on concealed carry. What am I thinking? haha.. .... . .. . . . .

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Have you trained with that wakizashi?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

So, basically what you are saying is: If you live in America -- it makes sense to have a gun.

I have been all around the world, and honestly, if I lived in America, I would own a gun as well.

I have never held a gun in my life to date.

Your links clearly indicates it is the cultural environment (society) that influences such ideologies. Here in Canada and in Germany where I lived for a while, the question: Why do I need gun? never arises.

Again, I can understand by the stories provided in the links why one would feel compelled to have a gun AND right there is the crux...

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

Have you trained with that wakizashi?

I think she's Asian.

Don't you know they're born with a full knowledge of martial arts?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

Great thread! I'll respond the questions in the OP, if I may, to top off what's already been said:

why do people think they need a gun?

Why do people need to carry their wallet, or some spare change in their pocket? It's a tool that's a part of daily life. When criminals have guns, you're not going to defend yourself with a knife or waving your hands around.

Carrying a gun won't make you safer.

The examples in the OP have proven that statement incorrect.

You're more likely to be shot with your own gun.

Improper training, and letting a would-be criminal get close enough to get your gun are the most common reasons why this may happen.

If you're living in a place so dangerous that you think you need to carry, you should move.

There are very few places that are criminal-free. If you want me to move, pay me. Otherwise, you play with the cards you're dealt with.

People who carry guns are just paranoid.

People who carry guns have the ability to defend themselves and others, as evidenced by the many examples in the OP.

People who carry guns are compensating for something.

Only compensating for the defenseless who can't defend themselves if they're not armed.

People who carry guns just have a secret desire to kill someone.

This statement might be true for a very small fraction of gun owners, but bad apples don't make the whole apple tree bad.

edit on 4-5-2015 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Involutionist

So, basically what you are saying is: If you live in America -- it makes sense to have a gun.

I have been all around the world, and honestly, if I lived in America, I would own a gun as well.

I have never held a gun in my life to date.

Your links clearly indicates it is the cultural environment (society) that influences such ideologies. Here in Canada and in Germany where I lived for a while, the question: Why do I need gun? never arises.

Again, I can understand by the stories provided in the links why one would feel compelled to have a gun AND right there is the crux...

Violent crimes happen all the time in Canada and Germany, but you're partially correct.

The US is definitely not the only violent place in the world.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist
Plenty of guns in canada outside the metro areas. It's way easier to get a long gun in NB, than it was in NY, and I don't gotta register them here. I like the government not knowing what kind of arsenal I have.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
To sum this thread up nicely, Nobody and everybody should have a gun

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
Plenty of guns in canada outside the metro areas. It's way easier to get a long gun in NB, than it was in NY, and I don't gotta register them here. I like the government not knowing what kind of arsenal I have.

Yes, there are a LOT of guns in Canada. The government even stopped registering them because the registry turned out to be an expensive failure--people did not (surprise, surprise) line up to register their guns. It is easier for a Canadian to legally get a gun in Canada than a US citizen in many places in the US.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I have never held a gun in my life to date

Then if I was you I wouldn't get one. You would probably just shoot yourself in the foot with it.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Guns are nothing more than a tool.

Guns are the tool of absolute last resort.

If people regularly whipped out Crescent Wrenches and beat people with them frequently enough to be covered by the terrorizing terrorists the media are, the ignorant people who didn't have Crescent Wrenches would demand nobody should have a Crescent Wrench.

The only issue I have with guns is that too many people treat them like toys and don't realize that projected force which is irretrievable should be applied with very much caution and care.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Probably...

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc
It is easier for a Canadian to legally get a gun in Canada than a US citizen in many places in the US.

Sometimes we get ones like Tek9's. Not legal but right from Detroit.
I can get one if I wanted to. Windsor is only 4 hours away.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Lol

I tried to find a video of Ricky shooting himself in the foot on trailer Park boys. (no such luck)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Is private sale between individuals with no paperwork legal in Canada?

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join