It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Something" is cleaning the mud off of the rover!?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I found this interesting LOL an outer space car wash.

"LONDON (Reuters) - An unexplained phenomenon akin to a space-borne car wash has boosted the performance of one of the two U.S. rovers probing the surface of Mars, New Scientist magazine said on Tuesday.
It said something -- or someone -- had regularly cleaned layers of dust from the solar panels of the Mars Opportunity vehicle while it was closed down during the Martian night."

Maybe Martians are trying to help us out...

story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20041221/sc_nm/science_mars_dc

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Maybe it prooves that their is life on Mars??

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Dust and it was wind cleaning it off

msnbc.msn.com...

"I think it's probably nothing much more mysterious than a few well-timed gusts of wind,"

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
It's homeless martians, you know, always hanging out on the corners, with their sprayguns and squeegees in hand....

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   
No, no, no, no.

It's the technicians in the warehouse where they are filming it, has to look shiny for the cameras.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nexus
Maybe it prooves that their is life on Mars??

I don't think so...I'm sure there is some logical explanation.....

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Hm...Interesting indeed!
If it is happening regularly then their must be some logical explanation. Maybe at night due to the sudden decrease in tempereture high pressure is created and there are heavy gusts of wind that blow the rover clean! Thats my explanation!

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Could be that in the daytime, when the solar panels are generating electricity, there is a static field attracting/holding the dust there. At night, no electricity is being generated so there is no field, so the dust just blows away.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   
The title of the story is misleading, there isnt any mud being removed. If there is anything being removed its dust.

[edit on 22-12-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
In the spirit of dogs helping each other out..... maybe it's the missing Beagle craft washing the Rover ?

(OK OK facetious but I just couldn't resist it)

p.s. remember the missing Beagle debacle.... oh no.... how embarassing was all that ?

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
This is just the Martian's version of the TLC show about car restoration...Nasa, you've just been "Overhauled"

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Well considering that the gravity of Mars is less than that of Earth, and there isn't enough moisture in the air to make the dust cake onto the rover, dust is attracted to electrical charges, and there is proficient wind on Mars, my theory is this:

At night, the rover shuts down, the electrical charge on the metal disperses, no longer pulling dust to it. The wind, which is there all along, blows the dust off the rover much more easily than it would on Earth because of the lighter weight, and the lack of moisture.

Seems pretty cut-and-dry to me.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Seems there's an earlier topic on this...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
May be a bacteria that feeds off that sort of substance? Would be interesting but that's a guess..

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
Well considering that the gravity of Mars is less than that of Earth, and there isn't enough moisture in the air to make the dust cake onto the rover, dust is attracted to electrical charges, and there is proficient wind on Mars, my theory is this:

At night, the rover shuts down, the electrical charge on the metal disperses, no longer pulling dust to it. The wind, which is there all along, blows the dust off the rover much more easily than it would on Earth because of the lighter weight, and the lack of moisture.

Seems pretty cut-and-dry to me.

That's a great theory, libra, did you read my earlier post?

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chris McGee
That's a great theory, libra, did you read my earlier post?

R
FL! Well, I guess not. I thought I had read all the posts previous to mine, but I guess my eyes skipped over it, or thought it was a signature...

Well, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one who thinks there's probably a rational explanation for it.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Hey, what can I say, great minds think alike.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Let's just assume, aliens did it. They are watching the experts experimenting with stuff from Mars, looking for life, why destroy this fantastic feeling with layers of dust? It doesn't take much to send there a UFO and clean those solar panels.

Now the only question is, which alien species are behind this awful brutal act series?

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
The reptilians. They've been at war with the dust bunnies for centuries over someone not using a coaster at the last intersolar christmas party.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join