It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the american national anthem, how its supposed to be, how it is

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
this is just a rant, nothing more.

i really hate the way the american national anthem is performed now.

it was brought home to me last night at the mayweather "fight" (sparing match). a nations anthem, or at least a great many of them, tend to be marches. they tend to be crisp and tight. compare the mexican anthem to the american anthem.

www.youtube.com... mexican anthem (not from fight, but sounds the same) tight and crisp.

www.youtube.com... us anthem (as it should be performed)

www.youtube.com... us anthem by beyonce (turned into a ballad)

the us anthem is supposed to be under 1:30. some performers stretch it into 3 minutes! they turn it into an audition piece and completely kill the spirit of the song, of what it means. its gotten so bad that unless the military does it, i will actually leave the room rather than hear it.

to be clear, im american, and i just want the anthem, my anthem, to be done correctly. with spirit and vigor, not melodrama.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Most versions of the anthem really suck in my opinion.
I think Jimi Hendrix is the only person who ever got it right.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Am gonna have to agree with ya. Some 'performers' can't do anything without making the show something about themselves. It's the National Anthem ... not their personal anthem.

Of course ... I've got a stick up my butt about a good many 'traditions' and I know _exactly_ what my opinion is worth on ATS.

-Cheers (to all my haters!!)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

even he descends into melodrama.

compare the way metallica performs it. www.youtube.com... simple, straight to the point even if a little slow.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
Am gonna have to agree with ya. Some 'performers' can't do anything without making the show something about themselves. It's the National Anthem ... not their personal anthem.

Of course ... I've got a stick up my butt about a good many 'traditions' and I know _exactly_ what my opinion is worth on ATS.

Oh come now snarl, you have at least as many likers as haters.

I know I enjoy your commentary very much!!!

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

You and I would both hate me if I ever got up on stage and sang the National Anthem. lol

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I am usually not one to get in this type of discussion but jamie foxx butchered the anthem at that fight.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: stormson

I do have to agree with your op though.

At my basic training graduation it was perfect, flawless, amazing.

It really is a great piece, no need to church it up at all.

It does get on my nerves as well when they try to turn it into a Whitney Houston highlight track.

The words and music are already very moving, it is like a good steak, trying to go over the top ruins it with too much seasoning.

All it needed a was a good cracked pepper corn and salt rub.

Simple, direct, too the point.

Good rant!!

I'm having a few beers, might as well share.

Lol, auto correct typed "basic trading graduation"
edit on 3-5-2015 by johnwick because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

You and I would both hate me if I ever got up on stage and sang the National Anthem. lol

Lol, ditto!!!

I do my best singing by not singing.

Before I hit puberty, I was like Justin Timberlake.

After...ya we will just not discuss how bad I am now.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Well originally it was a British drinking song so if authenticity is what you want find the original lyrics and sing it in a colonial tavern.

The "anthem" we are familiar with is a result of the popular marches of the late 19th and early 20th century. Lots of brass and percussion and a strict sense of time. It kind of stems from the nationalism movement. Ever listen to Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture? Or Stars and Stripes Forever? The "traditional" National Anthem comes from about the same period which is why it sounds so militaristic.

Before the mid 1850's it probably sounded much different when performed. Probably more hymn like or even like a tavern song.

The point is there is no way the National Anthem us meant to be performed. Different arrangements have different meanings. I agree it is bothersome when singers take too much liberty with the melody... but it is their freedom and right to do so.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   
We should re-do them all, you know, modernize them a wee bit.

Like this

P

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Our National Anthem music's roots
To Anacreon in Heaven
edit on 4-5-2015 by asmall89 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   

You think that bother's you!

Try this version of the the Star-Spangled Banner by Yoko Ono.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   
The solution, I suggest, is to drop the individual singers and get the whole crowd to sing it, led by a band.
Then the musical accompaniment controls the timing.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

My ears are bleeding. Is she being electrocuted or something?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

It was at the school of performing arts in New York City. I have seen the whole video before and people actually clapped.

Personally it's stood the hair up on the back of my neck the first time I heard it.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: Skid Mark

It was at the school of performing arts in New York City. I have seen the whole video before and people actually clapped.

Personally it's stood the hair up on the back of my neck the first time I heard it.

Would've been funny if Mark David Chapman had walked up just then, with one hand in his coat pocket, and asked her for an autograph.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
The best version I ever heard was at an airshow when 3 B-17s, a B-25 and several fighters all flew in formation for the veterans. The engine noise drowned out any words but you could still hear the melody of the song. I wish I had that on video.

edit on 4-5-2015 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23
I agree completely with your views on Hendrix. Anyone here know that he could play the anthem on the guitar with his tongue ? That is how talented this man was.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

You are missing the point of music. Music is SUPPOSED to be taken in and improved upon. If you keep playing the song the same way over and over again, it gets boring. Why should the National Anthem be any different?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join