It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Causes Racism?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Before an issue or problem can be solved; the causes must be identified. With that in mind I'll get started with a few.

Lack of education / knowledge.
Generation to generation improper information.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
It is human nature to generalize and categorize information. Racism is an outdated survival mechanism.

The tribal societies were close knit, with many similar physical characteristics. Other tribes in the area, competed with others over scarce resources, it was a safety mechanism to distrust those who did not look like your tribe; because chances are they were more likely to conquer and kill you rather than befriend you.

In modern times, racism is more prevalent among people of low IQ. The two most racist groups in America are the descendents of the African slaves, and European indentured servants. A class structure was created so the indentured servants could feel like they were at least not at the bottom.

The problem can be mitigated, but never solved.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I completely agree with you. I like to suggest our clan, tribe, family group or whatever we wish to name it goes further back to when we were more pure animal like. I believe we are now hard wired and will be very difficult to change our instinctual survival of each of our groups.
a reply to: GodEmperor

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Long term destabilization of a group of people who in turn go outside their home terrain to cause destabilization elsewhere.

a reply to: bucsarg

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: bucsarg
Long term destabilization of a group of people who in turn go outside their home terrain to cause destabilization elsewhere. When this destabilization is ongoing it causes a backlash towards said group.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor

The two most racist groups in America are the descendents of the African slaves, and European indentured servants.

Give Asians credit where credit is due. I have known Vietnamese and Koreans who were pretty straight forward with their distrust of the African Americans.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

My father was brought up among racists of Irish decent. He was raised to believe racist crap about black people. He was born in 1921. He fought in WWII.

In his training to fight to preserve our nation, he found himself among men of African decent who were in training with him.
He came face to face with a stark reality that contradicted his upbringing. Though he had been raised to consider black people as secondary humans. Lower humans. But in seeing that these men were fighting the same fight he was fighting, he made a discovery about himself. He descovered that the way he had been raised did not necessarily need to be the way he lived. That, he as an individual, had the power within himself to alter, to flip, to eradicate that racisim with which he had been raised. The men who he was fighting along side of were men. They were Americans.

So he did. He made a decision to improve himself.

And a wonderful thing that came out of his decision was that his children and his grandchildren were born without those ancient biases that had so affected his own and his parents upbringing.

But first, he had to realize who he was and why he was the way he was. Racism still exists because people do not want to admit to themselves the truth about themselves, black white yellow or green. Racists can change. They just don't want to.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
When you play a piano the black keys sound as sweet as the white keys...

whaaa said that
edit on 3-5-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

When a race vastly outnumbers other races in crime and violence and ignorance, other races take notice, and try to stay away from those said races.

ID
edit on 3-5-2015 by ItalianDressing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

The two most racist groups in America are the descendents of the African slaves, and European indentured servants.

Give Asians credit where credit is due. I have known Vietnamese and Koreans who were pretty straight forward with their distrust of the African Americans.

Every race distrusts them... For a reason... Not racism, experience...

ID
edit on 3-5-2015 by ItalianDressing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I went to this Chinese buffet a week ago and a horde of those people walked in... The orientals told them they had to pay first, they all walked out, after already hijacking free food. They know these people are trouble. They left because they knew they were outed and were not going to pay... People do not dislike them for no reason.

ID

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItalianDressing

ID

Please don't misinterpret my statement. I was just pointing out that racism isn't limited to any particular group.
I have taken a fair beating from a gang of black punks who were calling me a "white motherf'er."
I worked with a Scottish guy who loathed me because I have Irish blood in the mix. "F'ing Irish 'n-word's." (grumbles)
I have good friends of many different races and mixes of races.
Bad people are bad people. Good people are good people.
Someday in the future, if we can avoid going extinct, race and religion will become so intermixed that it will lose any significance and we can all just be humans.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItalianDressing

ID

Please don't misinterpret my statement. I was just pointing out that racism isn't limited to any particular group.
I have taken a fair beating from a gang of black punks who were calling me a "white motherf'er."
I worked with a Scottish guy who loathed me because I have Irish blood in the mix. "F'ing Irish 'n-word's." (grumbles)
I have good friends of many different races and mixes of races.
Bad people are bad people. Good people are good people.
Someday in the future, if we can avoid going extinct, race and religion will become so intermixed that it will lose any significance and we can all just be humans.

You are right.. We must do something to stop all of these white kids from rioting and burning down cities in their free time, and killing each other in normal times.. Damn white kids.

ID

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ItalianDressing

"those people".? Please define.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Would Paula Dean be classified as more of a racist than Al Sharpton?
edit on 1430711066Sunday31Sun, 03 May 2015 22:44:26 -0500pmSunday44101031 by Ultralight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I prefer chocolate ice cream to vanilla ice cream.
edit on 1430711203Sunday31Sun, 03 May 2015 22:46:43 -0500pmSunday46101031 by Ultralight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ItalianDressing

Wow serious question where you born before the 60s ?

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Racism is fear of the unknown

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   
As I always say in these type of threads, I have met and worked with people from all over the world and I have met very few nationalities who are not 'racist' in some way. And it certainly is not just white Anglos. Not gunna point the finger though. I have observed that people like to lump all forms of xenophobia, hate, predjudice, stereoptype, and simple fair observation as 'racist'. It is not all racism, I bet most of those people who scream racism cannot even define it or say what it actually is. It has become one of those general terms which will mean nothing in the end.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

Yeah but vanilla tastes better with pie..........mmmmm pie

top topics

<<   2 >>

join