It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Testing contract....What are they looking for?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Hi. I've had a usual browse through the US military contracts to see the crazy waste of public money. I came across a contract awarded to Linde LLC of $35,000,000. Although not a lot of money but it was the reason I found strange. It was awarded for analytical purposes of samples taken for verification of the nuclear test ban treaty.
To be honest I'm not very well versed on the treaty and terms. However I do know that there is some problems with the methods to ensure the treaty is unheld. But as the bulgarian president said at the time why would analysis be needed as any country would now have the capabilities to know that there was a nuclear explosion. That is even more obvious today where any explosions and testing of nuclear arms will be know by most countries.

Therefore I am raising the question is this normal or is the US testing samples for proof of testing or the use of nuclear arms. With the report due at the end of September will it be the required proof to launch attacks on any one of the countries in the targets of the US....Iran,North Korea, Syria or Russia.

Anyone know much on this?

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

But as the bulgarian president said at the time why would analysis be needed as any country would now have the capabilities to know that there was a nuclear explosion.

The point is verification before there can be a nuclear explosion.

With the report due at the end of September will it be the required proof to launch attacks on any one of the countries in the targets of the US....Iran,North Korea, Syria or Russia.
Violation of the treaty would not result in attacks, it would result in sanctions. North Korea is not party to the treaty so verification does not apply. Russia has nuclear weapons and did before the treaty. Like the US, they are grandfathered.
edit on 5/3/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

This contract is for air samples taken is relation to enforcing the nuclear test ban treaty. My point is why would they be testing air samples if the didn't have the data to indicate nuclear activity. Brings the question do they have indications that may be in breach of the treaty?

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

My point is why would they be testing air samples if the didn't have the data to indicate nuclear activity. Brings the question do they have indications that may be in breach of the treaty?

The treaty requires ongoing verification. Indications of a breach are not required. Sort of like workplace drug testing.

BTW, "nuclear activity" does not equal nuclear weapons.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I understand your point but I find the process to be redundant given that any nuclear testing would be picked up real time. Random drug tests may sound a similar process but I don't think it fits. The tested party must be of knowledge it is getting tested. I don't think there was ajything in the agreement to enforce testing to ensure the ban is upheld.

Basically it may just be procedure but I just find the timing interesting. If they know Russia haven't broken the treaty then why are they doing analysis on samples under the name of the treaty. I can't find much else regarding the continued testing process.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

The tested party must be of knowledge it is getting tested. I don't think there was ajything in the agreement to enforce testing to ensure the ban is upheld.
Think again. Or better yet:

Verification: The Treaty's verification regime includes the International Monitoring System (IMS) composed of seismological, radionuclide (16 laboratories), hydroacoustic and infrasound monitoring; consultation and clarification; on-site inspections; and confidence-building measures. When fully operational, the IMS will consist of 321 monitoring stations alongside the existing 16 radionuclide laboratories. The use of national technical means, vital for the Treaty's verification regime, is explicitly provided for.

www.nti.org...

If they know Russia haven't broken the treaty then why are they doing analysis on samples under the name of the treaty.
Because the treaty specifies it.

new topics

top topics

join