It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why privatize?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I dont understand the current infatuation with privatization. It just sounds like a bad idea to me throwing everything willy nilly onto the whims of the market. It really just sounds like a scam by big business to make money in industries they werent allowed to before.

Why is the current popular trend to blame government for everything wrong and to give business a free pass? Why in short do we believe that business can do it better and government can only operate in an inefficient manner? I hear it all the time the phrase "if only government would get out of the way..." or something along those lines at any rate and I'm just wondering why? When exactly did businessmen and bankers become the saviours of the common man?

Well state your case and explain yourselves I really am curious as to why your system is supposed to work so much better than government regulation?

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
well that's just it. government and big business go hand in hand. in some cases, government should leave coorporations bedside and allow small business to thrive, but in other times governemtn needs to step in and regulate bigger business to prevent monopolization.
confusing

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The better question is why we can't opt out entirely of the Social Security system. People actually think the government is going to take care of them at retirement. Social Security was supposed to be a supplement to retirement not the main source.

I know Social Security is not going to be abolished, so partial privatization is a great way to give people more options with THEIR money.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
This world revolves around money....most big businesses get a big chunk of their money from contracts and grants that are sponsored by federal and local governments - These are the people that keep the wheels spinning and the money flowing...

I don't think we'll ever see complete privatization - I believe that would be a breach of security...maybe I'm wrong though...

The process of bidding for the best price and highest quality work is something you HAVE to outsource for if you have a sound budget in mind and wish to have a superior product....

The flip-side is that the local gov't becomes dependent upon a group of people who may, over time, begin to express certain characteristics they don't wish to be associated with - which can cause a great deal of embarrassment and jobs to be lost b/c they weren't being monitored closely enough....So it seems to be a kind of vicious cycle...

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
The better question is why we can't opt out entirely of the Social Security system. People actually think the government is going to take care of them at retirement. Social Security was supposed to be a supplement to retirement not the main source.

I know Social Security is not going to be abolished, so partial privatization is a great way to give people more options with THEIR money.

It's also for those incapable of working any longer. My mother is such a person. She worked for many many years, ending up a rather good RN and then was struck down a variety of diseases.

She just recently had her second blood transfusion because her pallets cannot sustain themselves. And she only recieves a mere $700 some-odd a month.

Privatizing SS will give money to the businesses and will--once again--screw over the people. It couldn't be that the tax cuts Bush gave to those making $100,000+ a year had any negative affect upon the economy could it? Naaaaah. That would actually make sense...

top topics

join