It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Votes to Allow D.C. Employers to Fire Women for Using Birth Control

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 2 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Let's look at that headline closer:

House votes

to Allow District of Columbia Employers

to Fire Women

for Using Birth Control

Really - that what it says and that's what they did:

www.alternet.org...

Last year, Washington, D.C. passed a landmark anti-discrimination law that would prevent employers from penalizing women for using birth control. Today, for the first time in over two decades, the House of Representatives voted to overrule a local law passed in the District, by choosing to overrule the new anti-discrimination law.

Now the sub-title of this piece is "Outrageous Bill is Hoby Lobby on steroids"

Speaker Bohner:

House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) said the issue was one of “religious liberty.”

And Congressperson Pelosi:

His Democratic counterpart, Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (CA) countered that the vote was an “outrageous intrusion into workers' personal lives” and “totally inconsistent with the anti-government rhetoric that we hear around here morning, noon and night.”

The bill will get no where and is considered to be a political stunt, but I wonder how much freaking money this circus of asshats has costs the taxpayer.

You can see who voted for or against this bill here: clerk.house.gov...

... for those whose knee jerk reaction is denial.

+18 more 
posted on May, 2 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
House Speaker John Boehner's (R-OH) mother should have used birth control.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
As with most "progressive" propaganda, I'm sure this is just a twisted version of a half truth.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Technically, abstaining from having sex is a form of birth control, never mind the use of condoms, IUD's or other contraptions. If this passed, would there going to be a form EZrider that you have to fill in to disclose how often you make love, what positions you use, the names and ages of your partners, their favorite positions, what games they like playing and how much time you spent with each of them?

Would it be optional to fill in, with a check box option:
[] None of your goddamn business

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Starts off with curbing pill use. Then perhaps making life difficult for women on maternity leave. What do we have in the end? Legalized control of when/if people can have sex. I can hear the faint laughs of Heir Hitler et al chuckling away. Population control is something that comes in many forms and often comes slowly.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Just to think that such incredible stupid bills are redacted and even exist is incredible, I would love to see who actually wrote a bill like that.

This is America no some medieval feudal monarchy in some obscure country around.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Please link to the text of the law and the text of the bill, not some politico site wanting donations. Thanks.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Please link to the text of the law and the text of the bill, not some politico site wanting donations. Thanks.

clerk.house.gov...

...is a direct link to the information, however you need to read it - the full text is available there as well and not hard to find.

It was included in the OP for just this reason.

And since you are ignorant of how to find the specific information, I'll give you another link. ONE YOU SHOULD LEARN TO USE!!!

www.congress.gov...

wherein congress publishs all bills, etc. their status, their sponsers and co-sponsers and any other information you might like.

edit on 2-5-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Wait they can fire someone for using the pill?.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

originally posted by: schuyler

clerk.house.gov...

...is a direct link to the information, however you need to read it - the full text is available there as well and not hard to find.

It was included in the OP for just this reason.

Nice try, but this is just a link to the roll call vote. That's it. I'd like to read the entire original law and the text of this bill that opposes it. Since you are the one who brought it up I think you ought to provide us with the original material so we can see what it says rather than rely just on your take.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Yeah, I kind of doubt that.

Let's see the text of the bill or law that states this please.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I think this is it...I'm still reading it

bill

+8 more 
posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Ah! I see the issue. Your headline is entirely bogus. The issue here is requiring employers to provide insurance coverage for contraception. The objection is that it violates religious freedom.

The bottom line is this:

THERE IS NOTHING IN THE BILL ALLOWING EMPLOYERS TO FIRE ANYONE USING CONTRACEPTION.

The issue is who pays for it. So your entire premise is inflammatory and a perversion of the truth. Is this a valid issue to debate? Of course, but it is nowhere near what you said it was.

But we kind of expected that. Shame on you. Another completely BS ATS thread.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
just an amendment to original bill

a) Strike the phrase “related medical conditions, or breastfeeding” and inserting the phrase “related medical conditions, breastfeeding, or reproductive health decisions” in its place.
(b) A new subsection (c) is added and to read as follows:
“(c) For the purposes of this section, the term “reproductive health decisions” includes a decision by an employee, an employee’s dependent, or an employee’s spouse related to the use or intended use of a particular drug, device, or medical service, including the use or intended use of contraception or fertility control or the planned or intended initiation or termination of a pregnancy.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

So true, our country is literally burning, we have rioting in the streets, the police are out of control, our REAL basic rights for freedom are being torched, were in a 15 years war, were on the verge of WWWIII

And people think your employer paying for your contraception should be a focal point....

Our priorities are seriously screwed up, and is exactly the reason this country isin the mess its in...

Ignore all the big stuff ...."LOOK OVER THERE! BE MAD AT THAT!" (drops another bomb on another country)

First world problems.....

Seriously America, pull your heads out of your collective A$$es

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Wait they can fire someone for using the pill?.

Yeah, I know makes as much sense as the Mad Hatter's tea party. It's probably a time waster to block something more important that might get passed whatever that might be. But it does show them up big time, using John Bonehead's logic, (House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) said the issue was one of “religious liberty.”) he/they would then need to allow certain sects who are currently executing people, to do just that under 'religious freedom'

This is the Washington Post's take on it, it doesn't quite sound the same, on the other hand?

www.washingtonpost.com... _story.html

close and paste the broken link below if above doesn't work,

http: //www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/house-targets-dc-law-banning-reproductive-discrimination/2015/04/30/77f48dde-ef29-11e4-a55f-38924fca94f9_st ory.html
edit on 2-5-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

The roll call has all the information you need to look up the full text:

H J RES 43

Try google...

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

So true, our country is literally burning, we have rioting in the streets, the police are out of control, our REAL basic rights for freedom are being torched, were in a 15 years war, were on the verge of WWWIII

And people think your employer paying for your contraception should be a focal point....

Our priorities are seriously screwed up, and is exactly the reason this country isin the mess its in...

Ignore all the big stuff ...."LOOK OVER THERE! BE MAD AT THAT!" (drops another bomb on another country)

First world problems.....

Seriously America, pull your heads out of your collective A$$es

This is pandering to the religious right who wanted a roll call so they could 'vet' candidates.

No work for "WE THE PEOPLE" is being done. Just this ideaological pandering - at our expense.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Its not pandering to anything, its letting businesses keep their rights to what they want to provide...

You made a bogus thread, with a bogus thread title , and its been pointed out its not even true

My post earlier still stands, this is a STUPID issue with people liek you trying to inflame, when literally the nation is ACTUALLY burning, and were on the verge of WW3 , and have an out of control police state...

And youre worried about businesses providing birth control?

Talk about pandering, making this a top isue with all this crap going on is PANDERING to the left, to detract from the REAL problems going on

Yes i said REAL, because this is a stupid ass issue compared to whats going on in this nation at the moment...

Dont talk to me about pandering when thats EXACTLY what this thread, and the big deal being made about this bil was made for.

people on the left keep distracting the populace from whats REALLY important and the LEAST youre goign to have to worry about is birth control...

No seriously , youd be lucky to have money worth anything to even BUY birth control.......THATS how bad its getting....
edit on 5/2/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
And the American Taliban just keeps wanting to force their Religious nonsense on the American people after all who needs Sharia when you have Christian dogma. This piece of nonsense should be viewed as respecting the establishment of religion and then thrown out along with the idiots that voted for it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join