It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Find This To Be Odd...How About You?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov... isolate oklahoma and look at the last 30 days of all magnitudes.

72 quakes and none of them are deeper than 7.6 kilometers, oh...and while we are on the subject of kilometers...the USA is not on the metric system, so why is the USGS using kilometers for distance?
edit on 2-5-2015 by soulpowertothendegree because: oops....link didn't work

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

I am sure someone will troll me and say I am the odd one!

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The answer to your final question is probably that international science is on the metric system.
I don't know about the rest.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Most people out side the US find it easier to remember Kilometers, meters and millimeters than

miles, yards, feet, and inches.

The swarm of quakes in Oklahoma are related to 'Fracking', right?

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Why you people like so much the imperial units, they are abominations, join the world mate

But if you like to know more, both systems are accepted in USA and you can choose which one to use in some areas

en.wikipedia.org...

In general, if its of scientific nature, you will only find the superior metric units

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

May I ask why you think this is odd?
Is the pattern you interpret over the last 30 days different to the pattern over the last few years or something?

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Hey at least we (The USA) are right there with Antarctica in our use of Imperial Units!

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: frostjon361

penguins are strange creatures indeed

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

science uses metric system....and the military...only people that dont are american civilians that aren't scientists...if you ever live somewhere that uses it you really adapt fast

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

When illegal drugs became commodities traded mainly in metric units I realised the UK had finally converted.
I was only taught metric at school, and given awareness training of old imperial units.
Some dinosaurs still only use them at work, and I will if the closest match on my tape measure is the imperial unit, otherwise, nah, 1000's is way more sensible.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I knew I liked penguins for some reason.

All I can say is, growing up with the imperial system in the US, I find it extremely difficult to imagine metric measurements. If you tell me something is 10 inches long, I can picture that in my head and imagine how large it is. If you tell me somebody is 6 foot tall, I know how tall that is.

If you tell me something is 10cm long, even though I "learned" how long they are and can measure them with metric measuring devices, I can't relate to it. It's like a foreign language I have to translate into something I can understand and think; "Ok, there are approximately 2.5cm in an inch (2.54cm, if I remember correctly), so that is about 4 inches long." So, there's an extra step involved in determining a metric measurement vs Imperial.

How do you feel when I tell you that the room I am in currently is 12ft wide? Can you imagine how large that is or do you have to 'translate' it first?

My car needs 4L of oil for an oil change. I have yet to find a liter of oil for sale in the US.

All that being said, YES the metric system makes much more sense and is easily converted between measurements since it's all based on 10s, 100s, 1000s, etc. Yes, I can use the metric system and do quite frequently when it comes to 3D modelling and computer parts/modding. But, that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't come natural to me, and I don't need to use it often enough for it to come easily.
edit on 2-5-2015 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Greetings and Salutations- I find it more odd that Your Yellow is before Your Orange on Your beam...

Crystal
Purple
Blue
Green
Yellow
Orange
Red

namaste

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

I'm like that but the other way around, I have no real concept of stones and pounds but start talking kilo's and I can visualise it easily. A distilled litre of water is 1 kg, and every bag of materials on UK construction sites are 25kg, cement/plaster/bonding/tile adhesive, all 25kgs.

I guess it doesn't matter though if an imperial person never leaves the US and does not work in any scientific field of employment.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I was going to say 4 liters sounds like a gallon, but then i look and i found this

1 Gallon [Fluid, US] = 3.7854118 Liters
1 Gallon [Dry, US] = 4.4048838 Liters
1 Gallon [UK] = 4.54609 Liters

www.asknumbers.com...

Imperial units are too complicated and the base 10 metric units are just better

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

I want the old imperial system back for gasoline, when a gallon was 4.56 liters. Not like in the US where a gallon is 3.99 liters. When Canada changed from imperial to metric, because they confused everyone, gas went up in price by about 25% overnight. That was back in the 70's.

Stick with what you are used to, because the politicians will always take advantage of any situation, especially a confused situation.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Everybody should be able to imagine a 12' room. You put one foot in front of the other until you reach 12 . Every stride is approx 1 yard. It is approx 1" from the tip of your forefinger to the first joint of that finger . A lot of our system was built from natural measurements to make it simpler . Cant say that for metrics.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree
earthquake.usgs.gov... isolate oklahoma and look at the last 30 days of all magnitudes.

72 quakes and none of them are deeper than 7.6 kilometers, oh...and while we are on the subject of kilometers...the USA is not on the metric system, so why is the USGS using kilometers for distance?

I think the change to metric was passed at some point by the Carter Administration (using Imperial is just plan stupid) but was throw out with the solar panels when the cabal fronted by Saint Ronnie came to power.

Seriously - Metric measurement is used in all scientific disciplines and last I looked geology qualifies as such.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

We tried conversion to metric system in the mid 70s. See how that went?

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

I want the old imperial system back for gasoline, when a gallon was 4.56 liters. Not like in the US where a gallon is 3.99 liters. When Canada changed from imperial to metric, because they confused everyone, gas went up in price by about 25% overnight. That was back in the 70's.

Stick with what you are used to, because the politicians will always take advantage of any situation, especially a confused situation.

Cheers - Dave

On a side note, it is interesting that Canada has only converted "officially". On the street level very few people use metric except to buy gas. I worked in construction and everyone used imperial... all lumber is sold as such, metal also. Last I remember so do drug dealers. Couldn't tell you my weight or height in metric unless I pulled out my driver's license. Wonder why this is?

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

If you tell me somebody is 6 foot tall, I know how tall that is.

There are some imperial measurements that are still standards where i live . 6 feet tall , 100mph , and 100 degrees f although the last one is not so much . Perhaps this because of my age and the age of those i work with . Perhaps i need to ask some of the younger people at work if they can identify with these measurements . If you were to say it was going to be 78 degrees today i would have no idea if that was hot of cold . Same can be said for 78 inches or 78mph .

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join