It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Escaped to Texas: Charlie Hebdo

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: Shamrock6

Mohammed drawings - hate speech.

Pope jokes - hilarious.

Sounds about right.

I would agree with your reasoning if there was a range involved in this show, and there were shots taken at the Pope and many others

This is a show specifically featuring artwork of Muhammad. It's free speech - and quite obviously hate speech

Really? How is it hate speech?

A belief, a religious belief that has nothing to do with me. A religious belief that forces their belief on everyone and tells everyone if they don't adhere to it ---- they will kill them.

But, artist renderings are hate speech.

That's backwards.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: buster2010

Mohammed drawings - hate speech.

Pope jokes - hilarious.

Sounds about right.

So what part of "if you do something that is offensive to a religion as a whole" was too hard for you to understand?

It would seem to me that if you said or did something extremely offensive, and I ended up extremely offended by it, it would be me that has the problem to deal with. Not you.

In a similar fashion, I would expect anyone who feels offended at religious statements and/or art would be the one with a problem, not the person who offended them.. Since you can't control other people, all you can really do is focus on yourself.

But our Constitution guarantees free speech, not freedom from being offended. Because being offended is the problem of the person who is offended to deal with, not the criminal justice system. In other words: one of the prices of freedom is that you have to grow thicker skin, and quit expecting the world to treat you the way you want to be treated. YOu can't control others and what they do, and they have no obligation to make you happy or enrich your life in any way.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

But, artist renderings are hate speech.

Art is speech

I said that it's free speech - it's protected and it should be allowed. Just as I believe the KKK should be allowed to say whatever they want to say out loud in public. Neo Nazis? Go to it you utter morons. Westboro Baptists? Can't stand them - but they should be allowed to spew whatever nonsensical bigoted filth they want to spew

Freedom of speech protects the right to speak out for all of us. It not only protects our freedom to communicate but our freedom to hear what's being said

But why pretend that it's not also hate speech? I think that's a mistake. Not all things are equal - and we're not idiots

Ms. Geller (and I'm showing considerable restraint by not referring to her as that bitch) has been very dedicated to a campaign targeting a specific group of people. This show in Texas is part of that campaign. If this was being done to Jews, the Japanese, Armenians, or any other group there would be more said on the subject

But - she's within her rights. I'm using mine to call her out

Yes - hate speech

Hate speech is, outside the law, speech that attacks a person or group on the basis of attributes such as gender, ethnic origin, religion, race, disability, or sexual orientation.

In law, hate speech is any speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display which is forbidden because it may incite violence or prejudicial action against or by a protected individual or group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected individual or group. The law may identify a protected individual or a protected group by certain characteristics.

edit on 5/3/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

And I would agree with your reasoning if everybody lost their mind anytime they heard a catholic priest joke.

Which I have yet to see happen.

Guess we don't agree.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

well, except that the priest are the leaders, and policy setters for a church. Meanwhile, day to day muslims have nothing to do with the direction of the faith.

Kind of an apples and oranges. Now, if you were to say, "As soon as people get all worked up over jewish jokes..."

Oh. Wait.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Officer and Two Suspects Down in Gunfight at Islamic Cartoon Contest in Texas, Possible Explosives Found

GARLAND, Texas — Armed police officers rushed in to the Mohammed Art Exhibit and Contest and quickly removed Pamela Geller and whisked her away to safety after a gunfight erupted outside of the event.

A law enforcement officer and two suspects are reportedly down, according to police on the scene. Three Breitbart Texas reporters are locked down inside of the event.

The officers on the scene said that possible explosives were found. The extrication of Geller occurred during a live video interview with Breitbart Texas.

Approximately 100 people are being held by police in a secured facility inside the event.

-
OBSERVATION:

It appears to have started out as a ... Dud-Event

( and will be ... 'properly' investigated in texas )

edit on 3-5-2015 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

GARLAND, Texas (AP) — A contest for cartoons depictions of the Prophet Muhammad in a Dallas suburb is on lockdown after authorities reported a shooting outside the building.

An officer dressed in SWAT gear took the stage toward the end of the event at the Curtis Culwell Center in Garland and told attendees, including an Associated Press reporter, that a shooting had occurred. He said one officer and two suspects were shot.

It wasn't immediately clear if the shooting was related to the event.

Link

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

But why pretend that it's not also hate speech? I think that's a mistake. Not all things are equal - and we're not idiots

I don't know who Ms Geller is, and I don't care.

Hate? IMO - - "you don't adhere to our belief - - we will kill you". That is hate.

Any belief group that expects the world to abide by their law - - - deserves what they get.

NO RELIGION controls me.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Except that not all priests are diddling altar boys in the sacristy. So, the blanket jokes are inherently offensive.

And noooobody cares.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

HOLY CRAP!

Nice update dude!

Sorry FarleyWayne I missed your update. Thanks for checking back in. That's bananas man
edit on 3-5-2015 by Shamrock6 because: Credit where it's due

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Looks like two of us posted an update at the same time.

We got an alert from Chron.com a few back.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Except that not all priests are diddling altar boys in the sacristy. So, the blanket jokes are inherently offensive.

And noooobody cares.

Then lets change it to the Priest that tells a woman to stay with her husband who beats her, because its her place.

What is it with people? Say Priest - - it immediately goes to pedophile.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Looks like two of us posted an update at the same time.

We got an alert from Chron.com a few back.

-
Aw ... Don't sweat-it.

What's most-important is to find-out-everything behind both the ...

'Exhibit' and 'Shooters'.

-
SUSPECTING-OBSERVATION:

IF (and/or how-many?) False-Flag(s) are in ... HERE ???

-
ADDED:

It appears that Breitbart-News is making rapid-updates to the story.

edit on 3-5-2015 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Hopefully more info will be available on Monday. I am interested if the incident had to do with the exhibit.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

See how subtle that was? The shift in the goal post?

Now its "blanket jokes".

To be honest, it makes for poor comedy to be too specific. If you include a line like "Every single priest" or "only certain priests", the timing is thrown off, and its not funny. Jokes are generalizations. Thats just the way it is. Because some white men can jump, afterall.

Listen, i get what you're saying: you think there is a war on Christianity as evidenced by the loss of that special place Christianity has always held in our nation. But the Catholic Church brought the jokes and snickering on itself through poor policies and outright ignoring of reports while sweeping everything under the rug. The priests, as representatives of the business, certainly are fair game in the criticism of that business.

Like i said...its apples and oranges. The Church lost its right to be offended when it ignored all those claims of malfeasance.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

There was a shift in the goalposts? Really? What's the shift from "catholic priest jokes" and "catholic priest jokes?"

Mohammed is dead. Catholic priests, near as I can reckon, are mostly alive. Making fun of Mohammed isn't allowed, because somebody says so. But priest jokes are cool, because they're non specific and that makes it okay.

Got it.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Making fun of Mohammed in some circles could get you killed.

Making fun of priests in some circles could get you condemned to hell.

IMO one happens over the other more due to what is seen as a credible threat.

edit on 3-5-2015 by Grimpachi because: durp

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   

No, its more like making fun of Mohammed isn't typically "allowed" because it is done just to piss people off.

Making fun of priest is more "allowable" because it does the opposite: it makes people laugh.

It would seem that the word "intent" applies here. If you can make a joke about Mohammed that isn't made only to piss off someone or poke fun at their religios beliefs...great. But poking fun at priests arises from both the disgusting behavior, and then the mass sweeping under the rug the church did.

Maybe its more a case of I refuse to give them any safe harbor for that. It was a systematic failure caused by willful ignorance spanning the careers of multiple cardinals and popes.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

NO RELIGION controls me.

Exactly

Not all Muslims are trying to control you, anymore than all Christians are trying to control you

People are still entitled to their beliefs - without being persecuted or held accountable for the crimes of a few

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Guess we don't agree.

Guess we don't - although I'm not sure why not

I've already made my case for free speech. I have an issue with this group's agenda. I'd be just as opposed if it was a group that specifically set out to persecute Christians

You can believe what you want of course, but my defense of free speech does not preclude me from recognizing hate when I see it

:-)

edit on 5/3/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: phone...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join