It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Undersea Volcano Apparently Erupts Off Oregon Coast, No Tsunami Threat

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   
And just think of all the ones erupting we know nothing about.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

I've alway heard that supposedly the blob cannot be caused by undersea volcano but your post make me a little confused.

And perhaps the most important part, the volcano is at a depth of 1,410 m, how could it be that of those 1,410m only the last 91 are being heated.

Doesn't heated water raise to the surface? A big patch of heated water won't mix fast with lower denser and colder water.

Second water is really hard to heat, the heat capacity is 4.18 joules per gram per degree Celsius, the blob is 1 to 4ºC hotter, to heat just 1 degree that much water is needed 1petajoule or 1/4 of megaton of TNT

So 1 megaton of TNT of thermal energy would increase in theory water temperature by 4degC. And Mount St. Helens released 24 megatons of thermal energy. That's not insignificant.

edit on 2015-5-3 by PeterMcFly because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   
We're on a basalt cliff on the Oregon coast and I hope it hold up in the coming EQ. We are packed and ready to go at a moments notice. So many people here are not. We will be cut off for weeks from outside services. Just the 20 miles of 101 I travel daily, I can count 10 places of failure and that's not counting the outdated bridges. Beautiful as they are, they'll topple quick.

Be prepared.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: PeterMcFly

its insignificant because hot water do not rise, heat dissipates so in order to heat the surface you need to heat the whole body and 1400 is way more than 90.

Boil some water and see if the bottom stay cool while the hot water rises to the top..

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   

its insignificant because hot water do not rise

Interesting affirmation because few minutes ago I was watching a documentary on undersea volcanic activity and hydrothermal vents and we could clearly see plume of hot water rising. Also data on density of water (pure) decrease with increase in temperature above 4 °C. I must admit that density variation of seawater according to pressure and temperature is more complex.

Was reading that typically, black smoker's plume stop rising when dilution drop temperature enough at Neutrally Buoyant Point. But what if the total volume of heated water is sufficient that the Neutrally Buoyant Point reach the surface?

And what to think about this article?
Undersea Volcanic Eruption In Tonga

edit on 2015-5-3 by PeterMcFly because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Lets do something, its Sunday and i wont waste my time, so here is this noaa article

www.pmel.noaa.gov...

Read it all, and let me know if hot water can reach the surface or it dilutes under the surface.

If you still believe the water rise all the way to the surface and does not dissipates, do a search if this is the case, not in blogs like that (climate change denier blog) but in peer reviewed papers.

Don't compare st helens volcano, the one that blew a mountain, but compare this with the eruption it had in 1998, there must be a paper around showing how much energy it released.

Look if the blob happened in 1998 and 2011, the last time this same volcano erupted.

Show how a single volcano produce 3 isolated blobs at the same time.

I took this from that same blog you use

wattsupwiththat.com...

Cool 1998 was a cold year in the blob area, what was happening that year, wait that was the year the same volcano erupted, how come now the surface heat is due to the volcano but this was not seen in the last eruptions?

Oh and...

Tonga volcano was much more close to the surface
edit on 3-5-2015 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Hydrothermal plumes form above sites of venting because of the buoyancy of the hot hydrothermal fluids that rise, entraining ambient sea water with a consequent continuous increase in plume volume, until neutral buoyancy is achieved and the plume disperses laterally.
During plume rise, ambient seawater is entrained from a range of depths such that the concentration of a property in the neutrally buoyant plume is a function of both the concentration and flux of that property in the vent fluid, and of the background profile of the property integrated over the whole height of rise of the buoyant plume.

Your provided link seem to confirm my theory.

But what if the total volume of heated water is sufficient that the Neutrally Buoyant Point reach the surface?

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

you seem to miss the 400 m chart

and the part where the same volcano erupted 2 times and no heat on surface was observed
edit on 3-5-2015 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

We just had a small Earthquake here in Northern California a few hours ago. We have been having a lot of them lately, so it could have something to do with this.

I think it's great that you have a plan for your family, I always have food and water stocked up myself. Not sure what the full gas tanks are going to do for you though, where exactly do you plan on going?

I would suggest staying put inside your home if a disaster ever occurs, especially a catastrophic earthquake. ~$heopleNation

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I'm mad at you ats people, i gave you a link for you to read for yourself and judge if the heat goes all the way to the surface or not, why you think this volcano was predicted? Because is right by the coast of Oregon where scientist can study it conveniently without much effort, from the last 30+ years.

In the link, you would have seen this mega plume associated with volcanic activity, around 10^8 m^3

hey look at that, Axial aint this the same volcano, yes it is, look at that .05 change in temperature, in the surface? nop 1k meters below it

If you are wondering a degree of latitude is 111km, so that huge bubble is like 20km, not really close to the 1600km that is the blob
edit on 4-5-2015 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Heat rises...

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   
We are having a world renown geologist from the USGS (featured on 60 Minutes, National Geographic, Discovery) on our show this Wednesday night 6PM PST/9PM EST on TruthFunders Radio. It's the perfect time to ask him questions about things like this. We are going to be talking about Earthquakes, when the next "Big One" is going to rock Northern California, the new emergency response system, and myths like earthquake weather, earthquake prediction, the real effect fracking has on quakes, can California fall into the ocean, underwater UFO bases, and do space storms effect quakes?

This could be the only time you can call-in and ask a real geologist any burning questions you have. Listen on the Inception Radio Network, LIVE Wednesday night: inceptionradionetwork.com...

You can also catch past TruthFunders episodes with Jesse Marcel, Bill & Nancy Birnes, Jose Escamilla, and more in the archive.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join