It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Undersea Volcano Apparently Erupts Off Oregon Coast, No Tsunami Threat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   

An active undersea volcano off the Oregon Coast has apparently begun a new eruption — an event which was predicted by two scientists months ago.

Based on a swarm of thousands of earthquakes and a seafloor drop of 8 feet, the eruption of the submarine volcano called Axial Seamount commenced on April 24.

The apparent eruption was observed by scientists in real time, with the help of high-tech instruments installed by scientists at the University of Washington.

The volcano is located along the boundary between two tectonic plates — the Pacific Plate and the Juan de Fuca plate — about 300 miles west of Oregon.

Link

What a coincidence, some here in ATS said the blob, that warmer patch of water around the same area, could be originated by a volcano and I tough to myself, what a crazy conspiracy people you are, you don't know how much energy you need to heat so much water...

And now a volcano erupts right in the same place, who knew...

Still the blob is not a single entity and its located in 3 separate location so unless there are 3 volcanoes at the same time, I still don't think its due to a volcano.

Nonetheless to you ATS folks, and your crazy coincidences...

The blob:

The blob thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 2-5-2015 by Indigent because: added other thread

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

S&F

Because I noticed your thread wasn't getting much play despite valid information.

Maybe you should have put Fukushima somewhere in the title?

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Or reptilians.
That's always good for a few hits.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   

It seems as though there is a bit more movement of the plates lately. Volcanoes erupting, earthquakes shaking... not sure what to think about that blob though.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

It seems its a fairly active volcano, last eruption was in 2011

en.wikipedia.org...

In nepal there was an earthquake in 1934 similar to the new one, I think its business as usual, we just get the impression there is more activity in our time (we are selfish)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

You are correct, I suppose.
I seem to remember a flurry of Icelandic volcano eruptions when I was in high school... 1970's.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Seems that this explains a lot of stuff happening in that location. Sick pups, mass die offs of fish, warming water in the region, etc. None of their official explanations noted a volcano. A few people mentioned a possible volcano here on ATS, but none in the scientific world. I suppose nothing is real if there is no evidence to back it.

Well, maybe they will get a new island there shortly. A new place for Hollywood to make some movies.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Ok so the blob according to this

www.livescience.com...

Is 1600x1600km down to 91m, so first is surface heating, cannot be a volcano right there.

Second water is really hard to heat, the heat capacity is 4.18 joules per gram per degree Celsius, the blob is 1 to 4ºC hotter, to heat just 1 degree that much water is needed 1petajoule or 1/4 of megaton of TNT, that is just to heat it, not to maintain it at that temperature for so long ( heat dissipates to the rest of the ocean)

And perhaps the most important part, the volcano is at a depth of 1,410 m, how could it be that of those 1,410m only the last 91 are being heated.

There is no chance the blob is due to a volcano. Its just a coincidence.
edit on 2-5-2015 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Great info
I've been spending time thinking about the recent volcanic and seismic activity around the Ring of Fire, I'm not an expert but I wish to share my thoughts.

According to me the most important parts are :

The volcano is located along the boundary between two tectonic plates — the Pacific Plate and the Juan de Fuca plate — about 300 miles west of Oregon.

Combined with this :

Based on a swarm of thousands of earthquakes and a seafloor drop of 8 feet

If that confirms that the Pacific Plate is actively pushing north since the recent events, then it might give us a great clue of what to expect in that area. It is important to confirm which direction the pressure. Hopefully the pressure goes towards north. If the plates are pushing south or east, it will store more energy by the coast in front of California.

I shared a thought about it on this thread and I expressed my concerns regarding the 2 areas that I marked in the map. Again, I'm not an expert but it's unavoidable to notice the "silence" in the areas marked. The event reported in this thread is just leaving less "empty spots" and the area without considerable seismic activity left is also one able to unchain a massive event.

The second area I mentioned in the Nepal earthquake thread is located in South America, by the Nazca plate. For the moment I don't see an imminent thread as the area mentioned first. Going by historical references combined by the direction the plate was moving, I think a considerable event is to be expected but not too soon. I'd like to go deeper on this one in another thread, to avoid going off topic.

One more time, thanks for your thread

edit on 2-5-2015 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
"No Tsunami threat…"

Based on a swarm of thousands of earthquakes and a seafloor drop of 8 feet…

Scientists say the activity is not strong enough to be felt on land nor is it likely strong enough to produce a tsunami.

No Tsunami threat… yet.

Interesting to note Japans mega quake began with off shore quake swarms and then, WHAM…

About 1:40 into here…

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
Ok so the blob according to this

www.livescience.com...

Is 1600x1600km down to 91m, so first is surface heating, cannot be a volcano right there.

Second water is really hard to heat, the heat capacity is 4.18 joules per gram per degree Celsius, the blob is 1 to 4ºC hotter, to heat just 1 degree that much water is needed 1petajoule or 1/4 of megaton of TNT, that is just to heat it, not to maintain it at that temperature for so long ( heat dissipates to the rest of the ocean)

And perhaps the most important part, the volcano is at a depth of 1,410 m, how could it be that of those 1,410m only the last 91 are being heated.

There is no chance the blob is due to a volcano. Its just a coincidence.

With all those facts and figures you accomplished confusing me.

What has TNT got to do with it?
edit on 2-5-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Isn't it time to get the hell out of dodge?

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

More common energy scale for people than joules, for example Mount St. Helens 1980 eruption was 24 megatons of TNT.

so nothing really

a reply to: w8tn4it

Nah underwater volcanoes erupt all the time without much consequences
edit on 2-5-2015 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: w8tn4it
Isn't it time to get the hell out of dodge?

I used to own a couple of Dodges, but now drive Fords and Chevies I live in the U.P., far away from any volcanoes. Yooper thinking

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Interesting, may want to pay attention to these scientists,

In a blog post last autumn, Bill Chadwick of Oregon State University and Scott Nooner of the University of North Carolina at Wilmington predicted that the Axial Seamount would erupt within the next 15 months based on a repeated pattern of seafloor elevation changes before, during, and after eruptions dating back to 1998.
-from OP source

For example, they predicted one in 2011:
"First successful forecast of underwater volcano"

Columbia University announced August 9, 2011 that researchers have, for the first time, successfully forecast an underwater volcanic eruption. Volcanic eruptions are notoriously difficult to predict, making the forecast a real coup. The researchers say their forecast could lead to improved monitoring of volcanoes on land.

Bill Chadwick of Oregon State University and Scott Nooner of Columbia University, a geologist and geophysicist respectively, were the scientists who spotted the eruption. They say it began at Axial Seamount off the coast of Oregon in April of this year. It took scientists a few months to detect Axial’s lava flow with the help of an underwater robot named Jason. The team officially “discovered” Axial’s eruption on July 29, 2011.

Source

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

thank you for this thread.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Since I do live on the Oregon coast and have yet to die inside a cauldron of sea water and ash and death and misery, I think it is safe to assume that everyone here will be fine.

But thanks for the heads up!

hahahahaha

(now my wife is a nervous wreck!)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

You better be superstitious. 4 rabbit feet gotta work.

Seriously, be alert and prepared bro.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

We're alert, but no tsunami warnings here. All is quiet, just an oddity, if anything.

Not sure how to prepare other than head to higher ground.

I'd like to believe that any danger would have already occurred. My wife's friend has a place on the beach and she spent today talking to my wife about potting new plants.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: Trueman

We're alert, but no tsunami warnings here. All is quiet, just an oddity, if anything.

Not sure how to prepare other than head to higher ground.

I'd like to believe that any danger would have already occurred. My wife's friend has a place on the beach and she spent today talking to my wife about potting new plants.

To be prepared for me is more than be ready to run to the hills. Talk to your family about the risks of natural disasters. Organize them, teach them and discuss the topic in a natural way.

For example, my wife and me have different schedules. According to the time when a natural disaster could happen, we know who is going to pick up the kids. If I don't make it in time, she knows what road to take with the kids and where to wait for me.

We try to keep gas tanks in both cars full most of the time. We always have bottled water and stuff, couple of backpacks with survival equipment.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join