It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Why must some American's wear shoes in their house?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 08:30 AM
You answered your own question in your thread title "wear shoes in THEIR house" . It is my house , I do as I please . Wow , what a thing to worry about and question . It has never entered my mind . I am not taking my shoes off and putting them back on every time I walk in and out of my house , as I can not sit still and I am constantly going in and out .

I will not enter people's homes that require me to remove my shoes , I will stay on the porch until my business is concluded . And I HATE wearing shoes .

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 08:36 AM

originally posted by: Ghost147
Please, can someone explain to me why Americans (or some of them) do this? I just don't understand.

If you can explain to my why it's an issue with you.

I live in the high desert on a farm and have dogs that go in and out on their own. They bring stickers in and they end up on the floor. We call them SOBs, because that phrase spontaneously erupts from our mouths when we step on one barefoot. With large dogs, the floor is usually dirtier than our feet. We wear shoes to protect our feet and keep them clean.

Different people - different lifestyles - different priorities. It's all good.

We do have friends that don't wear "outside shoes" in the house and ask that we take ours off and we do. But I keep a pair of slip-ons in the car that I ONLY wear in their house because the floor is cold.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 08:37 AM
Well this thread is an eye opener. I have never in my life known an American to insist that someone take their shoes off.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 08:38 AM
If you don't wear shoes in the house you could step on a kids plastic toy or a cat's toy and hurt your foot. Hairballs are another common find around this house. Most people have to wear shoes because they are not aware of their surroundings.

I don't have to wear shoes in the house anymore because I watch where I step most times. I am not so preoccupied as I used to be.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 08:42 AM
a reply to: Ghost147

I can't speak for all, but I can at least tell you why I normally wear shoes inside. It does depend on where I'm at as well.

1. Sometimes it's out of laziness/efficiency. I'm a guy who's all about getting things done in the most efficient way possible. Now no, it's not because I want to be a great worker, it's because I want to get it all done so I can enjoy the rest of my day relaxing. lol Efficient laziness.
Now in regards to shoes, if I'm visiting my mom's for maybe 30 minutes, the last thing I want to do is waste precious seconds putting my shoes back on. It's ok if this sounds silly, many of the things I do are silly.

2. I've known many people, with many dogs that like to eat shoes. So more often than not, it was safer to wear your shoes than to remove them, and find out later they were chewed on.

3. I have gross feet. So many times if I'm visiting someone, unless they have a house rule to remove shoes, I won't remove them unless they're dirty. My feet stink pretty bad, and I'd rather not subject people to my nasty foot odor. lol

So those are the reasons why I normally wear my shoes indoors. But at home, shoes are off, but I do keep my socks on. I have to, because my dog is obsessed with licking my feet. lol

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:02 AM
Now that I am thinking about it (thanks a lot) , the more I WANT people to wear their shoes in my house . I have a thing with people touching me . Sweaty hands touching me makes my skin crawl . So if I have a choice between dirty shoes touching my floors or someone's sweaty feet (just got the heebie-jeebies), I will take dirty shoes anytime .

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:03 AM
I don't wear shoes inside if I'm just lazing around. But many days, I will be going outside several times during the day, so on those days, I keep my shoes on. If I'm doing heavy house cleaning, I wear shoes inside because I need the arch support while I'm pushing furniture around for vacuuming, etc. (other than some rugs, we only have wood and tile floors, which can be hard on the arches when you are on your feet all day)

The only time I would expect a guest to take off their shoes is if their shoes were obviously muddy. I would do the same if at someone else's house. If someone else asked me to take off my non-muddy shoes before entering their house, I would do so, but if I didn't know them really well, it would feel a bit weird to me.

I do have to say that when my daughter was a baby crawling around the floor, I was a bit obsessed with mopping and cleaning the floor constantly. That was probably a bit overkill, as I have since read that kids need to be exposed to every-day germs more.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:22 AM
I wear my boots/chuck Taylors in my house all the time..I let everybody know Just wipe your shoes on the welcome mat,before you enter.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:23 AM
Here in Finland we have pretty much same customs as in Japan. Absolutely no one wears the shoes indoors, not the owners, nor the guests. It's etiquette to take the shoes off when you enter house. It would be against the good habit and rude to keep your shoes on, except on formal occasion like birthday parties and so on, when you wear special indoors shoes.

That is why I'm amazed by this thread.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:37 AM
This would be a really interesting ATS poll.

I grew up wearing shoes in the house. Normally I just pull on some mocassins - we have large dogs, and cats who cohabitate with us. They bring in lots of dirt. I RARELY go barefoot, because I don't like to walk on grit inside. It's amazing to me that anyone would have "white carpet" - wut?

Why on earth would you have white carpet? Our floors are wood and tile throughout.
They get swept, spot-cleaned and mopped with regularity, but no, you cannot eat off of them. Floors are FILTHY.
Feet are nasty, too.

To me, it's kind of like going naked and sitting on furniture. GROSS. Get your bare butt OFF of my furniture, and keep your stinky feet covered with at LEAST socks.
When I'm in a lazy mood, I'll go round the house in my socks only, but then I look at the bottoms of my socks as a sort of "floor check".

It might be a regional (provincial) thing, like "townies" versus "country," or having jello and whipped cream and marshmallows with some canned fruit in it and calling it "salad." To me, that's dessert if you must eat it.

But yes, if I'm doing heavy work outside in the yard and get muddy, I take them off and leave them just outside (or inside) the door. Currently I have two pairs of yard/winter wear boots near the backdoor, which have dirt on them. If my shoes are obviously dirty, they stay at the door, and sometimes I'll go outside in my socks to put them on.

This rant struck me as a very odd question. I just grew up wearing shoes, inside and out. Taking off your shoes in someone else's house IF THEY ARE NOT OBVIOUSLY DIRTY seems to me a gesture of relaxation and comfort, NOT a cleanliness issue. Do I prefer to take my shoes off and wear slippers inside or flip-flops? Yes, for comfort. Do I mind when people take their shoes off in my home? Not at all - but I don't ASK them to. If they do, and put their feet up under them or on a coffee table, I have no problem with that.

Interesting thread. Obviously if I walk into a home or business I don't want to track in mud or clumps of dirt, etc. But if my shoes are in "pavement only" condition, I wouldn't think twice....but then again, I wouldn't wear dirt-crusted or muddy shoes into ANYONE's house. NOR would I go barefoot in ANYONE's house. Ick.

But, I love walking outdoors barefoot, and it's good to have your skin touch bare dirt - it helps the body's ionic system and keeps us healthier.

Now, what grosses me out is people who eat with only one hand, and use their other hand to wipe waste from themselves. In India there are more cell-phones than toilets, and often no bath tissue at all.

GROSS!!!! Ew! Don't touch me.
edit on 5/2/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:42 AM
Another thought about this topic; where I live, businesses OFTEN have signs that say "no shirt, no shoes, no service."

Feet are nasty, and floors are filthy. Keep your body parts covered, please. And wash your hands.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:43 AM

originally posted by: Serdgiam
I have mischievous, troublemaking, big dogs. We are in a constant battle for filth supremacy.

I'm pretty sure I'm losing.

I can SO relate to this

Thanks for the
with my coffee this bright sunny Saturday morning

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:50 AM
a reply to: stosh64

I know, right? I grew up with animals in the house, too - and I know lots of people think that's insane. I once asked my veterinarian how they kept the exam rooms and lobby so clean all the time - and mentioned what a losing battle it is to keep up with big dogs and indoor/outdoor cats.

He laughed, and told me, "You should see my house. There are dust-bunnies so big they ought to get rabies shots!"

Animal lovers, you know, we don't care that much about sterlized, hermetically sealed environments.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 10:02 AM
I guess everybody has their own customs.

I grew up in a home where if we came running into the house with our shoes on, mom would whack us over the head with a broom.

Anyone and everyone we know all take their shoes off at the door. When you go to a person's house, you take your shoes off and either walk around in your socks or you bring a pair of slippers/moccasins to wear indoors.

It's just a show of respect and common courtesy to the person who has to wash the floors and vacuum the carpets.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 10:13 AM

Because in America we are free and we do what we want in our homes!!!

As long as it falls under federal, state, city, local, laws and regulations and home owners association rules.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 10:15 AM
It's so we don't get poop on our feet when we walk into our house.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 10:20 AM
I've never known an American family to take their shoes off at the door. I think most of us change shoes often throughout the day? Women, anyway. That helps. I have gardening shoes, house shoes, flip flops, shoes for doing different things running around town. I have some "good flops" that I have designated as to 'never go off concrete' cause I know what's in my grass. I probably change shoes five times a day. Maybe that helps? Or not.

I have dogs with a pet door who come and go at will. Nothing dropped on my kitchen floor should ever, under any circumstances be eaten. lol. No six-second rule here. It could be lethal! I try though, and use vinegar to mop the kitchen, and sometimes bleach. yep. It's smelly.

BUT I wish we did have that custom. It makes so much sense. As it stands now, if I asked peeps to take their shoes off at the door, they would think I'd finally lost it. Sigh. When in Rome..........

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 10:40 AM
a reply to: Ghost147

I personally insist on guests taking off their shoes and all other outer clothing because I have no idea what filth might be on them. You think you're riding the bus then planting those nasty pants on my couch? Not in my house you backwards heathens!

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 10:50 AM
House shoes or no shoes for us.

And I'm still shocked each week at the dirty floors when I do house cleaning. I shudder to think how gross they would be if we wore outside shoes in the house.

I mean, think about it...your outside shoes have been all over the floors of public places. Imagine the dirt, grime, chemicals, bodily fluids, etc.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 11:33 AM
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

When the heat turns on, I get tumble bunnies rolling across the floor.. A and that's with vacuuming and hand picking up the dog hair constantly.

It's like the wild west..

I mean, I say it funny, but anyone with SOB dogs knows..

Alternatively, people seem more freaked out when the Shiloh Shepherd sits right next to them and stares at their face from two inches away. Dunno why..

I always hear that old western diddy in the back of my head..

Weeddle Weeddle wooo, wuhh wahhh wuhh

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>