It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why must some American's wear shoes in their house?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I am American and we have always taken our shoes off at the door. I was not raised that way but my husband was and it makes keeping the floors cleaner not to mention less.... germy.

We prefer it if visitors would take theirs off as well but we never ask anyone to do so. We keep a shoe rack by the door and a rubber mat beside the door. That way we have a place for our dirty, wet shoes and one for our other shoes. I wear bedroom shoes and everyone else prefers to go barefoot.

I keep my really dirty mowing shoes outside on the porch all year round.

I'm not sure why some people wear shoes in their own house but do understand people wearing their "clean" shoes inside a house they are visiting. I do get a little upset by folks who just march in with red mud or the like on their shoes and pay no mind to it. It shows a lack of respect for other people's things IMO. I would never do that to someone else. I wouldn't even do it to a business such as Walmart. Somebody would have to clean it up and it's just inconsiderate.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I had a workman come do work in my house the other day and his mind was blown about how the place he'd been to previously made him take he's boots off before he came into the house, they were Afghan immigrants.

In Australia, its only 3rd world immigrants or people who are obsessive clean freaks, who expect you to take your shoes off at the door.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I dont think that many people at all walk into houses with muddy shoes , i know i dont . But if my shoes are clean , and i check , i really dont see the problem .What would you prefer a, a smelly sweaty footprint on your floor or whatever a clean shoe leaves . IMO bare feet inside is not the way to go .

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I come at this question from another angle.
I've never known an environment where it was "normal" to take off the shoes and leave them at the door.
I live in Britain, but this may be an urban thing. Urban people don't get their shoes dirty enough to make it an issue.
Yes, I understand that women like to "kick off their shoes" when they get home, but that's because fashion insists on making them wear shoes that are so uncomfortable.
In fact I normally walk around in my socks myself, but that's a luxury I can give myself because I live on my own. I'm sure it makes the meter-readers look askance when I have to let them in.

If you've ever seen the British comedy "Keeping up appearances", you may notice that the fussy housewife Hyacinth Bucket insists on making people take off their shoes when they come in the door, and THAT is the behaviour which is regarded as odd.
As far as I know, we think of "taking off the shoes at the door" as a quaint oriental custom, like squatting on the floor instead of using chairs.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Much of the world non-wearing-of-shoes-in-the-house world either don't wear any foot coverings or wear sandals. Both system allow for quickness and ease of disembarking from traditional shoes. Wealth has a lot to do with the custom also.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   
If you have ever stepped barefoot on a carpeting edge you will know why! (hint, nails)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I live in Korea. You take your shoes off in many places. I avoid some places (like restaurants) because of this.

The last time I went to a funeral some asshat stole my shoes. That's actually becoming a common thing these days. I see the extreme aspects of this custom fading in time.

Shoes inside of my house?? LOL You're dealing with my wife ... and I'm not gonna bail you out.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I for some reason thought you were an Aussie . Never assume because it ... you know

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Well, I wear shoes in my home because I respect the fact that my feet are a biohazard despite every effort to mitigate and correct that situation, and the fact that I am not the only person who has to use the living space!

If I lived alone, perhaps I would spend more time barefoot, or in socks. However, that is not the life I live right now. Another thing that keeps me wearing my boots until I go to bed, is that in the business for which I work, I could be called out at night time, to go and do a gain entry on a clients property, in the event of a lockout, or other emergency situation involving a failed locking system, so it makes sense for me to remain ready to roll until such time as I go to bed. Buggering about with boot laces when one is trying to get out of the door in good time, is not conducive to getting out as quickly as possible.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Pet peeve of mine is being invited to a get together at someone's house, I get dressed up really pretty [including nice shoes that finish the look off] and then they tell me to take my shoes off...
Suddenly I feel as if I am at home, I also feel stupid for bothering to dress up and I feel stupid running around in a nice dress with tights and bare feet.
We tend not to go round to people who ask guests to take their shoes off.
Fortunately almost all of our friends let you wear them.

There may be some culture behind taking shoes off and people from that culture will not understand that other people may have other opinions. I personally find it EXTREMELY rude to ask a guest to take their shoes off. Especially if I see that they have made an effort.

In our home [UK] shoes are usually off until we go somewhere and when we come back we walk around in them until we take them off [pretty soon after]. I would never dream of asking anyone to take their shoes off.
There are vacuum cleaners and brooms and TBH the dirt has never harmed me [health wise] in any way in almost half a century. Each to their own I say.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

I for some reason thought you were an Aussie. Never assume because it ...

Can I take that as a compliment ? Or would I be ...

-Cheers

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   

and Americans in TV and Movies do this (often at least). That's why it seems more of an "American thing"

WOW.
Dont you realise the absolute ridiculousness of that sentence?

So if you watched British TV and movies and saw people in houses with their shoes on it would be a 'British thing'.

Its only an American thing to you because you see it on their TV and movies.

edit on 2/5/15 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/5/15 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Honorary Aussieness is hereby bestowed upon one Snarl .

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   
You have no idea what lurks on other peoples feet.

There are all sorts of things like tinea that can spread from one foot to another.

Please, keep your shoes on.

Going nuts just because another culture is different is just ..... yeah.

Just try to respect each others differences and we can all get along.

It is not wrong .... just different.

P

edit on 2/5/2015 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
It is not the custom to take your shoes off in the house in the U.S. For whatever reason. Nobody I know does this.

Sal

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

Forgive me, but I'm not sure if all American's do this or if it's just a handful of people. But, it's absolutely shocking to me.

I don't know what's more shocking, people who don't take their shoes off, or your Gub!....scratch that I do know.

Anyway in Japan it's tradition, etiquette if you like. In England it's a tradition to some households, otherwise MOST PEOPLE WIPE THEIR FEET ON THE DOORMAT WHEN THEY COME IN! I dare say Americans are much the same...sheesh!

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Because it's their house. And at least as of right now, the government hasn't told them they can't wear shoes inside their own house.

First world problems and such

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I have no earthly idea why ANYONE would want to wear shoes in their house! But apparently it is all too common here!

I have spent my life not wearing shoes in the house, but my new husband and his family do it all the time! Its craziness I tell you!

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Who cares what's on your feet in your own house. Someone else's house then I understand taking shoes off at the door. But my own house, just go with the flow

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I am American and I can't explain why people wear shoes inside either...I personally don't...I don't like shoes and they track in too much dirt from the outside...when I have guests in my home they have to take off their shoes too...and actually people seem to get more relaxed and comfortable with their shoes off.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join