It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why must some American's wear shoes in their house?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I'm sorry my American brothers and sisters, but every time I notice this my mind goes "
"

I was just watching the movie "The Last Samurai" and the concept of it popped back in my mind. There's a scene where Tom Cruise's character "Capt. Nathan Algren" is attempting to adapt to traditional Japanese lifestyles, and at one point he walks in the house with horrendously filthy shoes on and tracks it everywhere, completely oblivious to what he has just done (only realizing once he is forced out of the house, seeing "Taka" scrubbing the floors clean of the mud).

You see it every now and then in movies and TV, where Americans are walking through the house with shoes on, even on the carpet and in the kitchen. I had spent weeks in Chicago with some friends and they were even laying in bed with shoes on!

Forgive me, but I'm not sure if all American's do this or if it's just a handful of people. But, it's absolutely shocking to me.

I was recently watching a documentary about living conditions in a small village in Africa. The documentary was focused on how an oil company purchased land in a certain area and promised to build the villagers health centers and schools (which they didn't) and how the villagers were living in worse conditions after the oil company had moved in, than before.

This issue relates because when one of the women in the village went into her home, a home with dirt floors nonetheless, she removed her footwear before entering!

Please, can someone explain to me why Americans (or some of them) do this? I just don't understand.

End of rant

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I prefer to go barefoot.
My feet are tough as leather.
I don't get the concept that bare feet are dirty, but shoes are somehow cleaner.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
A lot of people do this in England. I lay flooring and rarely remove my trainers on domestic jobs. Even on new carpets, I only remove footwear perhaps 10% of the time.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
im american and i wear house shoes in the house and put the outside shoes by the door but alot of people will were there shoes in the house its a floor we dont sit or eat off it in america we just walk on it and we have vaccums and mops if ur shoes are muddy u wouldnt walk around inside with them

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Er, you are ranting about movies and documentaries, where it would be pointless to show actors taking their shoes off!

The Americans I know - including the kids, take their shows off in my house. Just like every other nationality they are capable of noticing (subliminally) when this should be done. If I wondered around my house in my walking boots then they probably would not bother.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I have mischievous, troublemaking, big dogs. We are in a constant battle for filth supremacy.

I'm pretty sure I'm losing.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I personally wear moccasins inside my house if i must have something on my feet. Extremely comfortable

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Er, you are ranting about movies and documentaries, where it would be pointless to show actors taking their shoes off!

The documentary wasn't acting, it was a documentary with real people, and the person did take their shoes off. Perhaps you missed the part when I mentioned my American friends who even jumped in their bed with shoes on.

It is nice to see that some people here actively take their shoes off before they walk through their house. Personally, and to everyone else I know here in Canada, it's something that's just common etiquette.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I live in America and no one I personally can think of wears their shoes in the house.

What makes you think this is a strictly American thing?

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: thesearchfortruth

The Americans I know do this, and Americans in TV and Movies do this (often at least). That's why it seems more of an "American thing"

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   
maybe its because americans dont ask there guest to take off there shoes when they visit i never do in case they have holey socks or smelly feet i wouldnt want to embarass a guest or make them feel uncomfortable but family dont need to be asked they would do it automatically if its a good friend i would say take ur shoes off and stay a while its a kind of nice way to ask but someone i didnt know well i would never ask the to remove there shoes for aboved mentioned reasons

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Maybe their feet just stink

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I live in Australia and the only people I know who take their shoes off inside are some Asians

Why the rant, its not a bad thing to do is it, just wipe your shoes off before going inside not tad i do unless they are dirty.

I for the life of me dont care if someone has shoes on or off inside.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: pez1975

See, that's the thing though. In my country no one ever asks their guests to take their shoes off, the guests just do it because it's normal not to wear shoes in the house. You can wipe your shoes all you want, they still are going to be dirty in some form or another.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Personally, I find feet disgusting. The more that covers it, the better.
Perhaps that's what started the socks with sandals thing?

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Explanation: Some people (not just Americans by any means) are in and out of their homes too much to take off their shoes every time they come through the door. Some people don't take off their shoes (or boots) until their work day is done. Still others are not too concerned with the dirt they might track in with their shoes as opposed to the myriad other bacteria/pollutants that come naturally from the air, as long as it's not immediately visible or excessive.

In short: some people are sticklers for constant tidiness, and others will clean up when things get dirty. I appreciate the question, (although I do not appreciate it being pointed at Americans,) and it does bring to light differentiations in character types... but to be honest....

Some people are just slobs.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

"Why must some American's wear shoes in their house?"

if that's all you got to worry about, then you have a condition .

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:34 AM
link   

It's weird to have to take your shoes off indoors. Why would you not wear shoes indoors? I don't wear shoes if I'm not going anywhere. But I don't take them off when I come home. They're just shoes. You worried about your carpet? Plastic casing on the couch too?

As a kid I'd go days without wearing shoes during the summer.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Really this is your rant , your life must be pretty sweet . Tell you what , i will come around to your place and take my shoes off , see how long that seems like a good idea . Sweaty smelly feet or nikes . I vote nikes .

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I dont know man, I had a pretty wild youth and i can tell you i'm kind of glad i was never asked to take my doc martins off at anybody's house, i mean the amount of times we had to up and make a break for it with out my boots on i would have been like bruce willis in die hard,lol.
So now that i'm old and all if i had to take my shoes off at your house I think we should just have coffee on the veranda i guess

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join