It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baltimore prosecutor charges police with murder, manslaughter in death of Freddie Gray

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Baltimore prosecutor charges police with murder, manslaughter in death of Freddie Gray

One Baltimore police officer was charged Friday with murder, three with manslaughter and two with assault in the death of Freddie Gray, who a prosecutor said suffered a broken neck last month when he was left shackled at the feet and lying face down in a police van by officers who ignored his pleas as they made their rounds.

The death of Gray, 25, on April 19 of injuries suffered a week earlier touched off peaceful protests that degenerated into a night of rioting, looting and chaos Monday. On Friday, a crowd gathered around State's Attorney for Baltimore Marilyn Mosby cheered as she said the police involved would be brought to justice in the incident. Mosby said the police had no basis for arresting Gray, and described a harrowing ride in a van driven by Police Officer Caesar Goodson, 45, who was charged with the most serious crimes, including second-degree murder.

"No one is above the law," declared Mosby, who said she comes from five generations of law enforcement and has been on the job for four months. Her husband is Baltimore City Councilman Nick Mosby, who has spoken out about the riots and anger in the city's African-American community.

At a late afternoon press conference Friday, a man named Richard who said he was "one of Freddie's two fathers" said the family was "satisfied with today's charges."

He then appealed for peace, saying, "without justice there is no peace but let us have peace in the pursuit of justice."

All six officers were reported in custody by Friday afternoon.

I don't see how they are going to support some of these charges.

I also didn't know she was married to a city council member - That may become problematic. What happens if any are found not guilty?

Secondly I keep seeing the term justice thrown around yet I don't think people really understand what that term means.

Other Sources
* - MSNBC - What we know so far about the charged Baltimore cops
* - CNN - Freddie Gray case: Actions that led to charges
edit on 1-5-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Oh, I agree, se is basing the charges on Gray been injured in the van, the final report of his death and time of injuries has not been released yet.

Also, this could be just a move to appease the people.

But already is been said that many of the charges will not stick because is going to be a factor of Intention.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Secondly I keep seeing the term justice thrown around yet I don't think people really understand what that term means.

As in charges alone really don't mean anything until they are convicted?

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Apparently intent is not a requirement for 2nd murder under Maryland law according to talking heads on tv, which amazes me.

The info from the autopsy, if its accurate, is going to case issues with the charges as well, since it details what the cause was. The van was gps equipped according to reports and the stops in question were apparently caught by store cameras along the way.

Should be interesting.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
For reference, there is this existing thread.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

As in charges alone really don't mean anything until they are convicted?

The term justice is where an investigation is allowed to be completed, regardless where that investigation leads us to. Justice is allowing the system to determine guilt or innocence in a court of law and NOT a court of public opinion. People bitching about them not releasing the autopsy report, and listening to those people yell at media about it, tells me their idea of justice would be more akin to a lynching.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

I did not see it sorry.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I think it also means that system works fairly for all and people get what is deserved but mostly agree with what you are saying.

I think people should be able to voice their opinion on the matter, rather they are hasty or biased in it.

It isn't only one side that is making this a court of public opinion either, both sides have plenty of people rushing to judgement on the matter.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I didn't know that Meryland had that way of doing charges. I don't get it, something is bothering me with the hasty way she did the charges, but occurs bas on the van story is plausible.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Jury selection is going to be critical on this one.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
If acquitted I'd worry about a Rodney King like riot.Stay tuned as this will be some trial.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

please use the thread above.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Why do you think it was hasty? Grey was arrested, and hospitalized on Feb 12. We didn't hear anything from the D.A. until May 1. Don't forget, Freddie Grey was in the hospital for a week before he died. There are plenty of hospital records and doctor's reports, and the investigation had been going on since that day.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Why do you think it was hasty? Grey was arrested, and hospitalized on Feb 12. We didn't hear anything from the D.A. until May 1. Don't forget, Freddie Grey was in the hospital for a week before he died. There are plenty of hospital records and doctor's reports, and the investigation had been going on since that day.

Maybe we can start recruiting cops from gangs.

No one with any intelligence would take this job today.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
dp
edit on 1-5-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

top topics

join