It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UK Independence Party is NOT racist

page: 43
<< 40  41  42   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:32 AM
link   

a reply to: grainofsand

A couple of articles I read this weekend fit in with your OP *nail on head*

Martin Townsend

We also learned that one politician who is truly committed to proper change is

better than hundreds of time-servers just mouthing the party line. That

politician was Nigel Farage. UKIP has changed the face of politics irrevocably.

It has given a voice, for the first time in decades, to the people of Britain by

campaigning on issues that the liberal ideologists had tried to call

unpalatable:

# an exit from the EU

# proper controls on immigration

# an end to useless wind energy

# the repeal of the ridiculous smoking ban

# and the return of grammar schools

In the face of relentless Conservative campaigning, Farage lost his seat but his

party received four million votes. It will be back stronger than ever and

the UKIP influence on Tory policy will not disappear.

If the Lib Dems provided a *conscience* to the coalition, often in the wrong

way,UKIP will remind David Cameron of his responsibilities in the right way.

I am unable to accredit this but its from the 'Express Opinion'

This election finally vindicated the *silent, dignified majority* who

voted in Britain's best interests.

Compare the Tories admirable lack of triumphalism with the SNP's gloating and

we are once again reminded that when it comes to politics the emptiest

vessels make the most noise.

For little pride can be taken in the swiping of 56 seats in return for just four

percent of the vote by a party hell-bent on breaking up the UK ... though

more than half the Scottish population oppose it.

The left may have taken delight in Nigel Farage's demise in South Thanet

but they underestimate at their peril the four million people who voted

for UKIP. Only in the Westminster bubble could it be right that a party with

a 13 percent share of the vote emerges with just ONE seat

edit on 11-5-2015 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-5-2015 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

I agree of course, a 13% share of the UK vote cannot be ignored, and although UKIP only gained a single MP, I am glad we have a stable majority government in Parliament which makes the SNP position, gained from their 4.7% of the vote, rather amusingly toothless now.

A horse-trading deal arrangement between Labour and the SNP would have been the worst case scenario for me for many economic and constitutional reasons.
We are also getting the EU referendum now, so it seems clear...and Farage had his resignation refused by the party, times are good.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Now wait for the dirty scare tactics for the EU referendum. Sadly I think it's already destined to fail...we'll be bowing before Merkel in no time.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DAZ21

Let's hope enough of us see through it and provoke the discussion with others.
It is such a massively important decision that it will be heated for sure, with much anger/hyperbole/drama/lies on all sides. I expect the mod's here are not looking forward to it.

It is a referendum we must have though, and I hope for it to be free, fair, and unbiased.
I am not naive though, so campaign and debate with everyone I interact with running up to it is my personal mission. Of course anyone who is aware of my posting history would assume nothing else from me lol

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: eletheia

I agree of course, a 13% share of the UK vote cannot be ignored, and although UKIP only gained a single MP, I am glad we have a stable majority government in Parliament which makes the SNP position, gained from their 4.7% of the vote, rather amusingly toothless now.

A horse-trading deal arrangement between Labour and the SNP would have been the worst case scenario for me for many economic and constitutional reasons.
We are also getting the EU referendum now, so it seems clear...and Farage had his resignation refused by the party, times are good.

As you are desperatley trying to keep this as a genuine debate and not simply a free for all a question if I may and sorry if this has already been asked and answered somewhere.

Given that you and many others voted UKIP for the simple reason that they wished for a referendum do you see a future for the party as anything other than a fringe/core right wing entity once a referendum has been called and the decision made?

Genuine question as although they got good numbers with an EU referendum decided do they have the policies to remain a force to be reconed with?

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific ukip made some huge swings in the seats they contested. Next GE they will gain a lot more seats and become a serious party. They will likely be the third largest party after the next GE. Although that may depend on whether there is a referendum on Europe or not. They are certainly putting more pressure on the conservatives to have this referendum. As far as the referendum, people seem to have forgotten that the EU IS Americas largest trading party and the U.S. will not just give up on that relationship. It's also the largest military ally to the U.S. Which again will not just be given up on. I imagine the U.S. Will be the biggest obstacle to the UK leaving the EU. The U.S. Are a massive super power who know how to wield that power

edit on 11-5-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Good question.
I think UKIP is vitally relevant now, in the discussions during the build up to what the referendum question will actually be. Who will represent the 'IN' and 'OUT' campaigns? That has to be decided in our usual British attempt to have equal funding/airtime/whatever for the two views, there will be a formal taxpayer funded campaign for both.
UKIP is vital in all those discussions, and so is Nigel Farage (like him or loathe him) who I'm surprised to say I found myself 12.6% happier earlier on to learn that his resignation was rejected by his party.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Good question.
I think UKIP is vitally relevant now, in the discussions during the build up to what the referendum question will actually be. Who will represent the 'IN' and 'OUT' campaigns? That has to be decided in our usual British attempt to have equal funding/airtime/whatever for the two views, there will be a formal taxpayer funded campaign for both.
UKIP is vital in all those discussions, and so is Nigel Farage (like him or loathe him) who I'm surprised to say I found myself 12.6% happier earlier on to learn that his resignation was rejected by his party.

I agree somewhat and was both appalled and unsuprised at his "uturn" on stepping down as party leader, I think we can all see what happened there.

Although I agree that the out vote needs a voice I am unsure as to if Farage is the man to fight for it personally.

I am of the opinion that we need to stay within the EU but redifine our stance given the power we have within it.

An all out no vote promoter vs the main party all out in crew may lead to little more than yet more bickering followed by a stick with what we have majority with no reform or ammendment if we are not carefull.

Just to throw in a sidwswipe semi off topic question I would like to ask what people think regarding the EU not as to our membership but as to if we allowed too many "weaker" nations with nothing that brings benifit to the more established ones to join and if others think that this may have been influential in our possible exit?

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: nonspecific ukip made some huge swings in the seats they contested. Next GE they will gain a lot more seats and become a serious party. They will likely be the third largest party after the next GE. Although that may depend on whether there is a referendum on Europe or not. They are certainly putting more pressure on the conservatives to have this referendum. As far as the referendum, people seem to have forgotten that the EU IS Americas largest trading party and the U.S. will not just give up on that relationship. It's also the largest military ally to the U.S. Which again will not just be given up on. I imagine the U.S. Will be the biggest obstacle to the UK leaving the EU. The U.S. Are a massive super power who know how to wield that power

I find that vey interesting as regards the USA.

So if we have a referendum before the next general election and that is decided what do you feel UKIP has left to offer once there core policy has been taken away?

Do you feel that there other policies are enough to make them a force to be considered serious in UK politics?

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

The questions of what/who/how/why/where/when etc about all of it are deeply important, and I see UKIP as being vital to that discussion as the 3rd largest UK party by share of the national vote.
I'm sure we will see many heated debates about all of it as it develops.

...let's ask those questions as we learn more about where the national conversation is going

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific to be honest I don't know what else they have to offer, but I've always been on the left side of the political spectrum, so nothing they offer is going to be of interest to me. I imagine they will just push for a more American Republican Party type stance without the actual republican style of government.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

I agree somewhat and was both appalled and unsuprised at his "uturn" on stepping down as party leader, I think we can all see what happened there.

He didn't do a u-turn, he was both physically and mentally exhausted after the campaign and stood down as he said.

After the success they had in the elections, UKIP weren't going to simply let him go, his supporters weren't going to simply let him go.

I wrote him a personal email asking him to have a break, but come back as leader and carry on his good work. Whether he reads it is another matter, I'm sure I'm not the only one to send him one.

If UKIP are to maintain the momentum, he has to be there at the front, standing up for Britain in the EU, and reminding people that politics in the UK needs change.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk
If UKIP are to maintain the momentum, he has to be there at the front, standing up for Britain in the EU, and reminding people that politics in the UK needs change.
Agreed.
I've also got a lot of time for Paul Nuttall MEP, UKIP's deputy leader, he seems to say it like it is, very much like Farage.
edit on 11.5.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
UKIP may not be racist, but most racists are UKIP supporters.

Meaning that they may not be racists as such, but most of their policies appeal to racists and isolationists.

It's hard to be a nationalist party wanting "Britain for the British" without being racist.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies
UKIP may not be racist, but most racists are UKIP supporters.
Wow, I'd almost forgotten about this thread.
Got any links to support that assertion or is it just opinion?

*Edit*
Does that mean the Scottish National Party is racist as well?
You know, those who seek independence from the UK as their primary policy. The party which won 56 out of a possible 59 MP's in Scotland in the UK general election a couple of weeks ago.
They must be racist as # lol

*Edit again*
Disappointed, just a drive-bye shoot posting was it?
I would be interested in your thoughts comparing parties seeking independence from the UK with parties seeking independence from the EU.
I guess they are equally racist following your logic lol.
Got any sensible contributions to make in this thread?

edit on 25.5.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 40  41  42   >>

join