It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UK Independence Party is NOT racist

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Now im not pro UKIP and Mr Leathley is clearly an idiot but how is that statement violent? I get the sexist and racist part.......

Maybe try it and tell me after if you thought it was a violent act

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: nonspecific

Here's what turned out to be a prophetic interview with him for his local paper in March this year.
I think the reason he was chosen is because he's the co-founder of Durham University’s UKIP society and also the current Vice President.

99.7% of UKIP members have never said anything stupid at all. The UKIP members who say stupid or offensive things make up 0.3% of our party – and when they say something stupid we kick them out.

I found this interesting...

We operate a so-called ‘grandfather clause’ on admission – members of certain organisations who joined the party long time ago can stay, but new members can’t be previous members of those group.
durham.tab.co.uk...

I wonder what those " certain organisations" were ?

The Grandfather clause makes no mention of the need to leave these "other" organasitions although I imagine it is encouraged.

In fairness it is plausable that someone may wish to disaccoiate themselves from for example an even further right wing party and choose a more palatble option.

The article and candidate in question shows that the party is very much in it's infancy and should not in my opinion have been given the status as a main player it has managed to achive.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
[

This is a good example of what I said earlier about UKIP not being career politicians.

There candidate is as 23 year old student? what skills and experience can he possibly have for such an important roll?

It also shows they lack infastructure to correctly vet and control there candidates.

It is shocking that he was the best choice to represent a so called major player in UK politics in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more, there's yet another breaking over UKIIP candidate Jeff Armstrong making sexist and derogatory comments on Facebook then claiming it's 'just banter' and some were made two years ago - every public/professional institution I have worked for has run courses on the importance of not making a complete ass of yourself on Facebook to avoid bringing them/yourself into disrepute, it's bread and butter training.

They're currently losing over one candidate a day to scandals, if this is the best they can produce then what are the worst like?

edit on 6-5-2015 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
I'm not familiar with the actual data however, are you speaking in hyperbolic terms or is the UK allowing that many immigrants in yearly?
It's well more than 200,000 and mostly from poor EU nations, and there is absolutely nothing the UK government can do to reduce it while we are members of the EU.
The only option is renegotiation which has to be agreed by all countries of the EU, or for us to go independent again, and just have a trading relationship with the EU.

The easier and more obvious option is, of course, to actually enforce the treaty requirements, which can be done tomorrow without any negotiations.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: bastion

[

This is a good example of what I said earlier about UKIP not being career politicians.

There candidate is as 23 year old student? what skills and experience can he possibly have for such an important roll?

It also shows they lack infastructure to correctly vet and control there candidates.

It is shocking that he was the best choice to represent a so called major player in UK politics in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more, there's yet another breaking over UKIIP candidate Jeff Armstrong making sexist and derogatory comments on Facebook then claiming it's 'just banter' and some were made two years ago - every public/professional institution I have worked for has run courses on the importance of not making a complete ass of yourself on Facebook to avoid bringing them/yourself into disrepute, it's bread and butter training.

They're currently losing over one candidate a day to scandals, if this is the best they can produce then what are the worst like?

I don't like career politicians, but I at least expect those we elect to be sensible and able to function on a professional level.

Can you imagine if we had these people in this party representing our interests in the world? They really seem to think that it's okay to make sexist, racist and homophobic remarks and that to criticize this is "political correctness gone mad". Imagine them having this kind of attitude in government, our country would become a joke around the world within months.

This would not only be about our political relationships with other countries, this would result in cases of these politicians making ridiculously pathetic blunders with their own staff and with government agencies at home. Every week we would have another story in the tabloid press about what some UKIP nutter said or did that people rightly found offensive and unprofessional.

It would be like having an entire party in government filled with Prince Phillip's! lol

UKIP is not capable of running a piss-up in a brewery.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

[

I don't like career politicians, but I at least expect those we elect to be sensible and able to function on a professional level.

Can you imagine if we had these people in this party representing our interests in the world? They really seem to think that it's okay to make sexist, racist and homophobic remarks and that to criticize this is "political correctness gone mad". Imagine them having this kind of attitude in government, our country would become a joke around the world within months.

This would not only be about our political relationships with other countries, this would result in cases of these politicians making ridiculously pathetic blunders with their own staff and with government agencies at home. Every week we would have another story in the tabloid press about what some UKIP nutter said or did that people rightly found offensive and unprofessional.

It would be like having an entire party in government filled with Prince Phillip's! lol

UKIP is not capable of running a piss-up in a brewery.

I do not think that the UKIP candidates are any worse individuals than those of other parties.

As I said the Party is in it's infancy and does not have the infastructure of the big parties.

To become a Conservative candidate you have to come up through the ranks, keep your nose aparently clean and be groomed over a period of years. You must be taught the tricks of the trade so as to apear like a good person and to aviod scandal.

UKIP has no such structure yet so will appear worse simply because more of them get caught out.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I'm not familiar with the actual data however, are you speaking in hyperbolic terms or is the UK allowing that many immigrants in yearly?
It's well more than 200,000 and mostly from poor EU nations, and there is absolutely nothing the UK government can do to reduce it while we are members of the EU.
The only option is renegotiation which has to be agreed by all countries of the EU, or for us to go independent again, and just have a trading relationship with the EU.

Wow, yeah that's not sustainable.

I see where the issue is now, so it is a EU member status issue. So any person from an EU country can immigrate to another with virtually no barriers?

~Tenth

No, that's not true. There is the thing about "exercising one's EU treaty rights", meaning that one must be either in current employment (having a job offer or already being in employment and earning sufficient to cover all one's expenses), self-sufficient (showing evidence of having enough funds to cover all one's expenses for at least six months and having comprehensive sickness insurance), self-employed or a student. One cannot be a work seeker for more than six months while residing in another country and one must not be a burden on the benefit system.

The UK is not enforcing this very well or at all, but instead of actually begin doing so we are debating whether to leave the EU altogether (e.g. throwing the baby out with the bathwater).

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: moniker

^^^^THIS 100%

The UK has had Habitual Residency Test for EU nationals for a while now. UKIPs claims we have an open border policy for EU migrants and they can claim benefits is completely fabricated to win the racist/xenophobic vote.

Despite all UKIPs bluster claiming the UK doesn't have a sa in this, they conveniently ignore the fact UK judges drafted the legislation and the majority of EU laws.
edit on 6-5-2015 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
There's no way UKIP will become the government this time around, the best they can hope for is enough seats to be a coalition partner with the conservatives. I'm sure the conservatives wouldn't mind this coalition as it's just another Conservative party in disguise, but they maybe wary of the toxic nature of ukip and some of its members

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

originally posted by: crazyewok
I thought we paid alot more than £8 billion!

In 2014, it was £11.3 Billion, including the extra bill they gave us at the end of the year as we did better than they thought (and have outperformed every other EU economy)

There was, however, a vote in the EU Parliament, and our MEPs voted for it.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
a reply to: grainofsand

Indeed. I've had some debates with the (few) pro-Europe guys at work and the only positive they can think of for EU membership revolves solely around "freedom of travel to go on holiday"... Which we can have as an EFTA or EEA member.

EFTA is basically defunct nowadays, and as an EEA member we would still have to pay the membership fee, but without any say (not that we are exercising our right to have a say nowadays either).

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: DAZ21
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Vote sturgeon so we can be rid of Scots like you who seem to hate the English. lol

You dont get it...we hold no animosity toward the English, in fact, from what i hear and read it's the other way around. We just want to be given the chance to stand on our own two feet, but that seems to be a problem for London...ever wonder why?

Possibly because the SNP quite doesn't want it. They want Scotland to govern itself, but also want a say over England without any reciprocity because it would benefit Scotland. That is not quite standing on your own two feet but rather learning to cycle with support wheels.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
I gave a quid to a Romanian big issue seller this morning, i didn't take the Big Issue either...why? because i thank my lucky stars i dont need to do what she has to do to feed herself. a little bit of Humanity goes a long way.
Why is that person begging in the UK and not Romania?
Not my problem sorry.

That person is not exercising her EU treaty rights and should't be in the UK, but we don't need the UKIP or a referendum to make that happen. All it takes is for the incumbents to actually begin enforcing the treaty framework that is already in place. If they don't, then there is no guarantee that leaving the EU will in fact change anything.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

a reply to: Scouse100

Couldn't give a toss, I want a referendum on EU membership and a vote for UKIP is the only vote to force it.
...and as far as multilingual (non-UK languages) forms goes, nope, learn a UK language.

My vote is for Common Brittonic.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

a reply to: Soloprotocol

Any recognised UK language, I'm easy.
Move here, learn the language, try demanding official forms in 50+ languages in France and see how it gets you.

Let's not forget that only a few hundred years ago, the upper class mostly spoke French, and French is in fact still the official language of the Parliament for official business between the House of Commons and the House of Lords and certain other official business.

Old Norse is a recognised UK language, although it's largely extinct.

The third largest language (recognised by the 2011 census) is Polish.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I'm going a little off topic here but what do the pro UKIP members think of the parties endorsement of GM crops in the UK?

I would have thought that at least some of the supporters here on ATS would be against this?

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: Scouse100

You have referred to multiculturalism a few times.

Here's one man's take on multiculturalism - I'd say he's eminently qualified to pass judgement on it.

I know its from The Mail's website but it does contain the full article written by Trevor Phillips and is well worth a read regardless of one's personal take on things.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Please take the time to read the whole piece - thought provoking.

Thank you, yes I have read about this before and I caught a little of the documentary. Of course there are pros and cons to multiculturalism just as with almost everything. Personally I think the pros outweigh the cons but that of course, as with Phillips' view is a matter of opinion.

The fact is though, that we are a multicultural society, so if UKIP are condemning multiculturalism, what is the alternative? Oust everybody with "none British" (whatever that means) name, skin colour, religion, customs, diet etc..... or force them to take on a "British" persona and abandon anything of themselves that may lie outside of that? I am sure they wouldn't go that far but where do they draw the line?

If I was voting UKIP I would certainly want to be finding out their intentions on that front as the policy is worrying to say the least.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
There's no way UKIP will become the government this time around, the best they can hope for is enough seats to be a coalition partner with the conservatives. I'm sure the conservatives wouldn't mind this coalition as it's just another Conservative party in disguise, but they maybe wary of the toxic nature of ukip and some of its members

Even that's a push, thankfully. UKIP are on target to win one seat, two seats if they're lucky, there's only 1.5% chance of a UCon coalition according to seat calculators.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Even that's a push, thankfully. UKIP are on target to win one seat, two seats if they're lucky, there's only 1.5% chance of a UCon coalition according to seat calculators.

As a few have said before it's a bit tricky to call as many may be keeping quiet about there intention to vote UKIP through fear of being called racist.

In my constituancy they got 4.5 percent last time round. I would be suprised if this does not at least double given what the locals seem to be saying.
edit on 6/5/2015 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Now im not pro UKIP and Mr Leathley is clearly an idiot but how is that statement violent? I get the sexist and racist part.......

Maybe try it and tell me after if you thought it was a violent act

Touche!

In fairness though, he said she would probably love to have rather than saying she would love to have violently inserted - quite an important distinction regarding the violence aspect. The whole thing is distasteful though, as much of this election has been.

I yearn for aspirational politics. How do we advance society? Is it by mudslinging, name calling and ranting and raving? Or is it by having leaders that are prepared to risk raising our goals and aims? Frankly, in that regard they are all as bad as each other. This paragraph isn't aimed at you by the way Woodward, it is simply my general rant to all politicians in this country. Give us some bloody aspiration!

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join