It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is This What We Have Become? A Nation, A World Full Of Hate?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Today I found myself utterly flabbergasted by someone's behavior. To me, ATS is about discussion and debate both on a national and international level. A place to learn and also a place to grow - at least to me. However, it is also another thing, a place where we help one another just as we would our neighbors, a place to hang out, a place to just be us with no strings, a place for friends.

When I first came to this site I was of the Muslim faith, yet that didn't stop me from becoming friends with a member who was Jewish, or another member with family in Israel. We had different views on some things, but it never stopped us from friendship or kindness toward one another. Just because someone has a different view doesn't make them a thing to be hated, it makes them a person who sees things differently.

America itself was founded upon the melting pot ideals. People here have always been free to see things differently than you, and it doesn't stop us from seeing them as the unique individuals they are - at least, how I was raised. Kindness has never once been thrown out the window in my house, no matter what.

I believe that it is against my religion in my personal beliefs to be a homosexual, but I also understand that is simply my religion and as such, effects me - not a person who doesn't hold to the same belief. My belief therefore, will never effect the kindness or consideration and friendship that I would thus give to someone who is homosexual. Part of the melting pot ideology I guess. Its rather ingrained in me that way.

Today on ATS I saw a thread where someone claimed they didn't know that ATS has a private messaging system with the ability to message other members. So I thought perhaps a tutorial would be a help. So I put together a U2U tutorial, took me 30 minutes to get all the screenshots and getting my tutorial reply all written out, but before I posted it I wanted to be able to show the member about the lit up you have mail thingy.. so I sent a message to this person that said "for fun" so that I could explain that light in the tutorial and have it understood and seen on their own screen.

The whole thing I was doing was just about helping a new member. Just plain kindness to a neighbor, ATS style.

Now, I had never seen even one post by this guy before this one, had no idea anything about him, never seen any post on ATS before by this poster - But his reply was absolutely shocking..He said he knows me as a US NATO Israel MSM lapdog, so forgive him when he/she ignores my u2u's...

I'm thinking seriously? I mean First I am a Libertarian, second as an ex-Muslim I have a very stand-off stance concerning US involvement overseas, which is what probably most solidifies my Libertarian views..hell I spent two years telling people to stand against any involvement in Syria, while no one listened.. lol..

seriously.. while I didn't know this person was online at the time because I hadn't checked.. I had just spent a bit of my time putting together something to help a new member, and I got some serious rudeness for zero reason in the world! It was absolutely shocking to me..I mean, how many posts of mine could this member with a handful of posts have even ever seen?

I didn't end up posting the tutorial because this person apparently knows well how to use the u2u system... but I couldn't stop thinking, where is civility and kindness? Are people really just speaking with absolute hatred toward anyone who disagrees with them? What ever happened to the melting pot mentality that America was founded on.. a mentality that we need desperately in order to bring debate and discussion into the world - so that we learn from one another and perhaps get truthful information..

And I think about the riots in Baltimore, people willing to injure or kill another human being because they work in the same profession as someone who did a wrong..someone who is willing to destroy someone's business because they are of the same race as someone who did a wrong..

What on earth has become of this world? Are we living and breathing hate now and every human kindness gone? How many of you who disagree with perhaps one political view held by a co-worker would refuse to work with them, or refuse a kindness they offered? Is this really what is causing all this destruction.. that we are simply so full of hate toward everyone who has a different view in life?

Its craziness!

edit on 1-5-2015 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I think our species has always been this way. At least, for long enough to forget anything else. What *has* changed is our ability to manifest this behavior through communication technologies. This would give the appearance of an increase, when it is really just an increase in exposure.

That doesn't mean it won't lead to a worse world, quite the opposite, but I think that for now it's more growing pains and seeing ourselves as we really are without the facade we put on when dealing with people outside of technology.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
We may have had our own ups and downs OpinionatedB, but I've never seen you as anything but courteous.

A "U.S. NATO Israel" lapdog is probably the furthest thing I'd describe you as.

Some people are just bitter within...
They wake up and spit bile from morning wood onwards...

Don't let them discourage your kindness in future, nor your thoughts on Earth as a whole...

People like you may not outnumber people like him...

But then that's why you're 1 in a million & they're not.

edit on 1-5-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

I agree with you. People are so small minded. The easy thing to do is hate.

It is harder to step back, look at the situation, get some context and understanding of that person's motivation. therefore respecting where that person is coming from.

Understanding that the wider bigger picture beyond yourself and your small square of perspective in the universe is amongst many.

He will get his Karma.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I got some serious rudeness for zero reason in the world! It was absolutely shocking to me

The fact that it is shocking to you, says to me that you are one of those who are normally accepted here and elsewhere. Personally I get this kind of thing all of the time. I have felt crushed many times and even stopped posting, eventually stopped coming here at all a few times.

The part that is even more stunning is that when someone says something way out of line, personal or cruel, that post will be starred many times over. if you try to defend yourself there is no "pat on the back" (star) of helpfulness or understanding which tells me that the majority are pretty cruel and unkind themselves.

I don't think it is ATS I think it is the world today a quick tweet to put someone down gets laughs, the world it wrapped up in cruel.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

I think our species has always been this way.

I don't think so, I see a change in the way people treat each other even in a store or park.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I wonder about people myself. I don't know how some can be the way they are. You went through all that time and trouble to help someone and were not treated with kindness. Makes no sense to me. Ignore his kind.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

lol Charlie... you actually brought tears to my eyes.. you are the last person in the world I ever expected to say such a thing to me..

I love you man! (brotherly way)

Its good when we can agree to disagree, and still have respect for each other!

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

im not sure how old you are but i was like you once...you get # on enough then you decide to just stop caring. I no longer care unless I see something right in front of my face...and even then I try to avoid it. The other day I was walking with a group of friends on the beach and some idiot was way out there in rough waves. One of my friends said that he may drown it was so bad. I suggested we keep walking so we don't see it. They were all shocked. I said I would feel obligated to attempt to save that man for his stupidity and I no longer wish to risk my life for stupid people so it was easier to just walk away.

Little quote I always like : All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good men to do nothing

The world is awful enough that I do nothing. Let evil prevail cause I certainly don't give a #.

But hey kudos for trying to help

edit on 1-5-2015 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I cannot comment on the logic or lack of in your situation but I do will say that some people are seriously deluded. In my life, I encompass people harbouring strange deluded ideas of others often. They are the sort of people that in group situations trying taking all the good parts for themselves and harbouring misplaced superiority complexes. Here are some examples:

Being accused of being racist as I do not like chocolate much. How can not liking a food indicate racism?

Being accused of being racist because I do not like the current immigration system in the UK. How can logical analysis be racism?

Just two examples from a particular person that themselves are guilty of racism but their minds are too egotistical and deluded to even see themselves in any sort of reality sphere. Greedy, selfish people that want everything revolving around themselves. Putting others in a bad light is part of their modus operandi as they want followers. They don't like those that do not agree to their point of view, constantly attempting stuffing their own agenda down everyone else's throats. They cannot see any other point of view than their own extreme left wing world without borders ideology and anyone that debates their opinion is something they see as an obstacle and against their own crusade.

The facts are that people and cultures are different by evolution, hundreds of thousands of years of learned behaviour and cultural formation and standards have shaped humanity. Shoving it all together under one roof and expecting a homogenous harmony is unrealistic and a form of devolution. ''give up your long formed and established cultural identity for that of 1000 others, whilst promoting theirs'' is not realistic politics it is bullying. Human rights works all ways, wiping out one culture for another is unethical and expecting people of all cultures to agree to the ways of all other cultures is a form of delusion.
edit on 1-5-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrsNonSpecific

I agree with you. People are so small minded. The easy thing to do is hate.

It is harder to step back, look at the situation, get some context and understanding of that person's motivation. therefore respecting where that person is coming from.

Understanding that the wider bigger picture beyond yourself and your small square of perspective in the universe is amongst many.

He will get his Karma.

It made me just want to say, Wake up! Not everyone is a clone of one another, but that does not mean we should forgo kindness and respecting of each others differences!

Seriously, I think that is what is wrong in general, and why people seem to polarize so heavily on political points.. I think people have a harder time looking at the middle, where two opinions can meet with respect - simply because people don't know how to have simple respect for others.

And I do agree, Karma is a #

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I was going to say that I agree TOTALLY with Charlie. You and I don't agree on much, but I am ALWAYS able to have a civil discussion with you. And some fun, too!
Keep being who you are and remember that that kind of hatred spewed comes from fear and insecurity.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I have always enjoyed your posts and I find myself in agreement with you fairly often as a fellow Libertarian. That being said, I would never NOT talk to someone because of their religion, race or whatever. There are a few raving nut jobs on ATS and I would still treat them with kindness if they approached me in the spirit of friendship and mutual respect.

I think this all goes back to if you have nothing good to say don't say anything at all. I don't always follow that because I am a flawed human being, but I hope to live up to a higher standard someday and evolve to be a better person.

We all make mistakes and say goofy things sometimes because we are in a mood or angry about something, but we should all TRY to treat others with respect if not kindness. There is no value you in meanness.

*hugs*

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

I don't know if I am normally accepted. I think its a mix in general.. some like me and some don't. Usually peoples opinions of me don't matter too much, although occasionally I do get over sensitive about stuff.

It probably bothers me more in light of everything that is happening in the world today.. so much would be different if we could simply manage to show kindness, compassion, and respect to others.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I will do my best!

a reply to: Metallicus

Hugs right back!

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I was going to say that I agree TOTALLY with Charlie. You and I don't agree on much, but I am ALWAYS able to have a civil discussion with you. And some fun, too!
Keep being who you are and remember that that kind of hatred spewed comes from fear and insecurity.

Even though we disagree, I have always thought you would be such a cool person to sit down with and enjoy a meal - my family and yours..

Sometimes, that is more difficult to remember, but yes, you are very correct in where that kind of hatred comes from! Great words of wisdom!

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB

What on earth has become of this world? Are we living and breathing hate now and every human kindness gone? How many of you who disagree with perhaps one political view held by a co-worker would refuse to work with them, or refuse a kindness they offered? Is this really what is causing all this destruction.. that we are simply so full of hate toward everyone who has a different view in life?

Its craziness!

The world is mad, insane, and upside-down.

When you know this, then you can see clearly.

"I couldn't stop thinking, where is civility and kindness? "

You are a leader, you model civility and kindness,
but don't expect it always be returned.

The cost of leadership is disappointment, but
don't become disillusioned. Have purpose,
and keep up the good fight.

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." ~John Lennon

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius

"The world we see that seems so insane is the result of a belief system that is not working. To perceive the world differently, we must be willing to change our belief system, let the past slip away, expand our sense of now, and dissolve the fear in our minds." ~ William James

"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out... without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable." ~H. L. Mencken

Imagination, to Artaud, was reality; he considered dreams, thoughts and delusions as no less real than the "outside" world. To him, reality appeared to be a consensus, the same consensus the audience accepts when they enter a theatre to see a play and, for a time, pretend that what they are seeing is real. QUOTE: "And what is an authentic madman? It is a man who preferred to become mad, in the socially accepted sense of the word, rather than forfeit a certain superior idea of human honor. So society has strangled in its asylums all those it wanted to get rid of or protect itself from, because they refused to become its accomplices in certain great nastinesses. For a madman is also a man whom society did not want to hear and whom it wanted to prevent from uttering certain intolerable truths.." ~Antonin Artaud en.wikiquote.org...

edit on 1-5-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

Thank you.. seriously.. maybe that was my problem. Its difficult sometimes not to start becoming disillusioned.. thank you for that.. honestly.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

lol... you don't like chocolate? OMG what's wrong with you! hahaha (please note the playful sarcasm..)

yeah.. sometimes people come up with all manner of craziness to support what they are thinking - perhaps simply because they cannot face the fact they may have made a mistake in what they thought in the first place..

And even I have to admit, sometimes facing your mistakes, is the hardest thing to do!

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

OB what can I say ?

It's a question of respect, and tolerance. Sure ATS has it's trolls and the mods do a good job of weeding them out, but we as members tend to attract them. It's the nature of a site like this.

BUT we also have highly intelligent and friendly people prepared to discuss/debate ideas and ideology, we have diametrically opposed views on some subjects, and I respect your opinions. That doesn't mean we can't share recipes or PS tips or be good friends.

I love chatting with you and other members here, I love creating art with you and others that I may disagree with on a number of subjects, so we disagree so what ?

As a wise friend on here once told me "We are friends, and that surpasses any website we frequent"

And now I come to my point,

People come here for various reasons, whether it be to learn, teach, preach, make friends or have an argument, or indeed for many other reasons.

Do I believe the world is inherently bad ? NO

Do I believe that the average person is inherently good ? YES

Do I believe that respect runs through ATS ? Mostly

Don't give up on us because a some idiot wanted to troll you, instead u2u me and we can we can have some fun

Above all when faced with it post this my friend

Cody

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

America was a melting pot of ideas but no longer.

Now everyone is trying to dictate not only individual actions but also morals, personal beliefs, and thoughts by power of legislation.

If you do not think, act, speak with, and agree with the herd, you will be sorry.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join