It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkish police fire tear gas, water cannon at May Day protesters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Turkish police fired tear gas and water cannon at hundreds of stone-throwing May Day protesters on Friday, after they defied a ban and tried to march on Istanbul's Taksim Square.

Europe's biggest city was under a security lockdown as thousands of police manned barricades and closed streets to stop demonstrations at Taksim, a traditional rallying ground for leftists that saw weeks of unrest in 2013.

Riot police unleashed water cannon and chased protesters down side streets in the nearby Besiktas neighborhood and also they also fired off canisters of tear gas, a Reuters reporter said. Demonstrators lobbed stones and bottles at police and set off fireworks.

Istanbul police said nearly 140 people had been detained

Turkish police fire tear gas, water cannon at May Day protesters

Taksim 2.0 it seems, or maybe it is all over again tomorrow?
Fact is the people asking for more rights and freedom won't get "better adjusted" as long as Erdogan keeps locking them away.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Well as long as turkish officials are more pre-occupied with restoring the so-called "ottoman" empire , people's request's are ignored alright .

i mean take a look at this hilarious yet sad in nature "pic" :

img.rt.com...

WTH is this ? are you kidding me erdoqan ? Ottomans are long gone . Don't support ISIS in syria instead if you want power in ME

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: haman10

a misogynic, regressive demagogue. That nails his "political persona" pretty much, imho.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

a misogynic, regressive demagogue. That nails his "political persona" pretty much, imho.
Exactly !!

I mean so much for being "islamist" when the last thing he was , was a muslim .

Heck even Seculars in turkey voiced their concern over Turkish governments constant support for rebels in syria and the oppression of people inside .

Do you know demirtash ? he is a very famous turkish politician . i mean one of top figures in turkey .

If demirtash was in power we'd have seen much less violance in middle east , i promise you that .

Tukey has problems with almost all of it's neighbors under erdogans power : Iraq , Iran and Syria .

Turkey supports terrorist groups in neighboring countries as well . donno what to say . such a shame that wonderful country is being sent to dark ages by a maniac named erdogan .

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

At least it seems it wasn't as bad as it looked when it started

As May Day demonstrations ended throughout Turkey, police have managed to keep the masses away from Istanbul's Taksim Square by taking extraordinary measures, detaining at least 203 people.

hurriyetdaily
Erdogan won't be in power forever and with a little luck, the next one will lead it back to where it belongs, closer to the EU. Even if it's not perfect, but both sides would benefit from that.

new topics

top topics

join